Amp for portable devices

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Bob127

Amp for portable devices

Post by Bob127 »

I cannot seem to find an answer very easily for this, seems fundamental . . .

I'm transferring my music collection of CD's to a portable hard drive that I can use with a laptop and MediaMonkey to play lossless files on my home theater system. I also want to take this same setup family vacation home. I also want the option of taking my Sansa Clip + with lossless files and playing over my home theater system. I also want the amp to allow me to plug in iDevices and play them too.

As of now the resulting sound is weak, both in volume and depth.

What can I use to play lossless files from computer and other portable devices and listen to music comparable to CD quality.

Help anyone?
dtsig

Re: Amp for portable devices

Post by dtsig »

Not sure if this answers your question but there are 'amplified' speakers available that you can connect to your laptop/phone/device. Also I have a stero here and at the coast that allows for aux input. I use that with my phone/ipod and computer as needed.

Is this what you were thinking of?
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Bob127

Post by Bob127 »

Amplified speakers are not a consideration.

On your stereo there and at the coast, when you plug your device into the aux port (which is what I'm doing) how is your sound quality as compared to a cd played on a device connected to your stereo?

My understanding is this: the signal coming out of the portable devices in not strong enough for the receiver (or stereo) to send out CD quality sound. Some kind of pre-amp is needed between the MP3 player and the A/V receiver. The sound quality I get right now from devices connected to the aux port is ok at best, but I need it sound good at loud levels - that is one reason I'm ripping files in lossless format.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Bob127, i agree that connecting my phone or iPod to the amp does not give you 'cd' quality music no matter how high a bit rate you have ripped at. The problem IS the player. I have yet to hear a player that is capable of producing actul cd quality. As for pre-amp. This would not help as the output of the player itself is the problem. And you shouldn't put output of a device that is already, albeit low, amp'd into a pre-amp.

Although I have looked for a way to do it I don't think you will get 'cd' quality from any player method. Of course I hope I am proved wrong :)
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

You might see if you can get a preamp for a turntable at RadioShack and see if you can use a patch cord for it then use the aux jack on the back or the 2CD input Jacks on the stereo unit.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Scottes

Post by Scottes »

It sounds like a DAC-Amplifier would do what you're looking for. I think. Something like
http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E3-BK-E3-Hea ... +amplifier
or
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E6-Portable- ... +amplifier

But I'm not sure if you will find 1 that will do everything you're looking for.