Help with Android Wifi and general sync

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

commando

Help with Android Wifi and general sync

Post by commando »

I'm having a play with MMW and MMA on my Samsung S4, including USB sync. Things are going well, though I'm a complete newbie to both. I have a few questions.

1) Is there any way to see what's sync'd with each device from MMW? Right now I just click on an album and say "send to device" when the device is plugged in via USB. Or is state and syncing held and controlled by the device?

2) I seem to be able to sync from MMA back to MMW, which I presume is sending ratings back. What I can't work out is how to send new music to the device wirelessly, or even find out if it's possible. Can anyone point me at a FAQ, a manual, or anything else? I have done some google searching, looked around this website, but I haven't found anything yet.

3) Completely unrelated, but my phone is too loud/headphones too sensitive, and the volume increments take it from too quiet to too loud. Is there a way to change the volume within MMA to scale the maximum volume back a bit?

Thanks for any help :)
bkenobi69

Re: Help with Android Wifi and general sync

Post by bkenobi69 »

1) No, there is no indication within MMW what tracks were transferred nor any indication that wifi sync is happening. This has been requested and is supposed to be included at some point.

2) You can send tracks to your device over wifi only if it is in the list to be synced. You cannot push tracks like you can via USB, but you can pull them by adding tracks to the list from either MMW or MMA and then telling MMA to sync.

3) You can change the volume leveling for your device. By default, volume leveling is turned off IIRC. Once enabled, the default volume is 89dB. You can adjust this lower if you want to reduce the volume of all tracks.
commando

Post by commando »

Thanks bkenobi :) A couple of follow-up questions:
- "You can send tracks to your device over wifi only if it is in the list to be synced" - how do I find/add to this list?
- When the device isn't plugged in by USB it doesn't show up a device to send music to... I guess the list question above would address this?

Also how do you change the 89db thing on Android?
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

1) You can actually create an AutoPlaylist that will list all files that MMW knows to be synced to the device. In the AutoPlaylist criteria go to the 'Advanced' tab and click 'Add Search Criteria' and select the following in the dialogue box:
Property: 'Synchronization Status'
Condition: 'Is synced to'
Values: will list all portable devices in the MMW database. Check the one you want to see.

2) To select the files to synchronise to your device, go to Tools --> Options --> Portable Device Sync. Select the device you want to configure and click Configure then go to the 'Auto-Sync (--> Device)' tab. You can check any items from your collections or playlists. The general advice is to create a playlist which will contain all of the music you want to synchronise and have that selected for Auto Sync. That way you can easily add and remove music in the playlist without having to go through the Options menu again.

3) The target volume for levelling tracks is set in MMW. Go to Tools --> Options --> Volume Levelling and you will see the setting called 'Level Playback volume to:' This applies to the volume of MMW's playback. I'm not sure if it will affect the volume in MMA. MMA has its own option for levelling playback volume but does not specify the target volume. You could try using MMA's equaliser to boost the volume.
bkenobi69

Post by bkenobi69 »

3) There is a setting for each portable device's target volume under Tools -> Options -> Portable Device Sync -> specify your device -> Options -> Auto conversion. If you use this option, the track will be leveled to that volume. This is not a tagging thing, this is a way to physically alter the volume of the track upon sync when MMW is converting the track's format.

Alternately, if you leave that option turned off you can turn on volume leveling in MMA as rivorson suggested. This will not allow you to set the target volume but it will adjust the volume to be consistent.
mcow

Post by mcow »

rivorson wrote:1) You can actually create an AutoPlaylist that will list all files that MMW knows to be synced to the device. In the AutoPlaylist criteria go to the 'Advanced' tab and click 'Add Search Criteria' and select the following in the dialogue box:
Property: 'Synchronization Status'
Condition: 'Is synced to'
Values: will list all portable devices in the MMW database. Check the one you want to see.
There is a bug around this point. I don't know if it's limited to wifi sync (I don't use USB at all). When you remove items from the sync list, and they're deleted, they still show up as "synced to" the device. Which makes the autoplaylist pretty much useless.
mcow

Post by mcow »

I think Ludek already has a bug open for the problem: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 75#p363136