ScrobblerDJ V2.20 - Updated 16/11/2013

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

civiliza

Re: ScrobblerDJ V2.13.1.1 - Updated 25/04/2013

Post by civiliza »

theweasel68 wrote:I like this idea of incremental steps - could be a very elegant way to solve this. The question is, if also the time range for certain BPM level or range can be set. Lets say: 90 BPM for the first 60min (+-10BPM), then next 120 min 120BPM, then 80BPM, etc. Maybe such a feature will be too abstract and not usable in praxis. Also because BPM measuring doesnt seem to work good in general, what I can read in other threads on the forum.

Probably it would be better to restrict the playlist to certain genres? For example: I would like to start with "Electronica" for the first 30min, then go to "Alternative" for the next 30min, then to "Progressive Rock; Metal" next 60min, back to "Alternative Rock" for 30min and then finally again "Electronice for an undefined time.

Somehtin like this maybe makes more sense in praxis?
Sorry, but as I indicated before, anything that relies on remembering that eg "I'm 20 minutes into my current Genre/Target schedule" is beyond my capabilities, When I took up modifying ScrobblerDJ it was out of desperation that changes to LastFM and MediaMonkey had "broken" ScrobblerDJ, and I tried hard to get someone else to run with it but to no avail.

If you really need that, I would suggest looking up add-ons that add batches of tracks instead - I've seen them on here, but can't remember any particulars.

As to genres, apart from using ScrobblerDJ's Default Playlist option (which I would strongly recommend in the short term) the best I might be able to offer is a rolling "use the current track's genre" option, if implemented right it can branch if a track has more than one genre seperated by semicolons.

As yet though I am still working on the BPM interface. (I use an external program to find my track's BPM's by the way, while MediaMonkey can handle BPM once it has been told what it is, I don't think it can detect BPM by itself).
civiliza

ScrobblerDJ V2.14

Post by civiliza »

New Version - Scrobbler DJ V2.14

Added Target BPM option, when enabled ScrobblerDJ will pick tracks whose BPM is within BPM Window % of the Target BPM or, if the current track is outside the BPM Window successively faster or slower tracks will be picked until the window has been reached. (Note - relies on library having values in the BPM field)
theweasel68

Re: ScrobblerDJ V2.14

Post by theweasel68 »

civiliza wrote:New Version - Scrobbler DJ V2.14

Added Target BPM option, when enabled ScrobblerDJ will pick tracks whose BPM is within BPM Window % of the Target BPM or, if the current track is outside the BPM Window successively faster or slower tracks will be picked until the window has been reached. (Note - relies on library having values in the BPM field)
Very cool! All my tracks have BPM info, as this is a standard editing feature of Jriver MediaCenter (analyse track).
Will try it out as soon as I can. Shall I just install the update over the existing installation?
civiliza

Post by civiliza »

theweasel68 wrote:Shall I just install the update over the existing installation?
That's what I usually do (or I would do if I hadn't already edited the files while testing/creating the update).

I've had a quick look at the databases and multiple genres are handled in the same way as multiple artists (good news), but the thought of integrating two new database tables into every query and debugging all the divergent option driven paths is daunting (bad news). As far as any sort of genre locking is concerned my advise is "don't hold your breath".
theweasel68

Post by theweasel68 »

civiliza wrote:New Version - Scrobbler DJ V2.14

New version installed, all works fine. Songs selected are within the range set before. However, the BPM values in general are not very accurate (not an issue of ScrobblerDJ), so the added value of the new function is rather low unfortunately.

I think black/whitelisting (MULTIPLE) GENRE would bring more value, but I fully understand from your previous mail that this would require much effort / is not that easy.
civiliza

Re: ScrobblerDJ V2.14 - Updated 17/09/2013

Post by civiliza »

Hi theweasel68, apart from the pain of implementing it, I really think that Black lists can be done better by using Playlists / AutoPlayLists and using ScrobblerDJ's Default Playlist and Limit To Default Playlist options.

I have roughed out a prototype for a subtle option that might help though:

The ScrobblerDJ methodology depends first and foremost on picking similar artists, and I'll leave this unchanged. If however none of the similar artists are in the library (or due to filters like Last Played or Target BPM none of their songs are currently playable) then instead of picking a totally random song from the Default Playlist, I propose picking one with (one of at random) the same genre(s) as the current song.

Using this technique the genre will float about depending on the Similar Artists, but on those occasions where there are no Similar Artists, it will stay "on genre" until such a time as a song with Similar Artists appears at which point the genre is free to float again.

I realise that this is not really what you are asking for weasel, but it should at least be a partial improvement.

WARNING - By adding more and more potential filters to the Default Playlist, I am moving further and further away from the initial V1.26 functionality of there always being a track queued, so I'll keep this as an option - particularly since my own library's genres have depended on the vaguaries of "Auto-Tag from Web" and are in no way complete or systematic.

(I've got a prototype hard coded for MM4, but MM3 uses different techniques that make it even harder to code, so I still need to work on MM3 functionality plus interfacing so that it becomes optional instead of hard coded).
theweasel68

Re: ScrobblerDJ V2.14 - Updated 17/09/2013

Post by theweasel68 »

civiliza wrote:If however none of the similar artists are in the library (or due to filters like Last Played or Target BPM none of their songs are currently playable) then instead of picking a totally random song from the Default Playlist, I propose picking one with (one of at random) the same genre(s) as the current song.

Using this technique the genre will float about depending on the Similar Artists, but on those occasions where there are no Similar Artists, it will stay "on genre" until such a time as a song with Similar Artists appears at which point the genre is free to float again.
Great idea. This makes sense and I think can greatly increase the value of this addon!
civiliza wrote:(I've got a prototype hard coded for MM4, but MM3 uses different techniques that make it even harder to code, so I still need to work on MM3 functionality plus interfacing so that it becomes optional instead of hard coded).
Your efforts are very much appreciated, thanks a lot! :D
civiliza

ScrobblerDJ V2.15

Post by civiliza »

New Version ScrobblerDJ V2.15

Added "Same Genre If Match Failed" option, when enabled ScrobblerDJ will pick a random Default Playlist track with the same genre whenever no Similar Artists can be found / played. (With a small genre pool, it might well bounce around between the same few artists since all options except "Target BPM" and "No Same Song" get ignored once the Similar Artist checks fails).

I have tried my best to acheive similar functionality with MM3 code, but since I am working with legacy code the best I could do was string matching rather than full use of the Genre database table(s), as a result Electropop, Popular Classics and indeed anything with the substring pop in the genre will all match an initial Genre of Pop. (Or at least I hope that's what I've done, the MM3 code is completely untested I'm afraid).
civiliza

Re: ScrobblerDJ V2.15 - Updated 18/09/2013

Post by civiliza »

Thanks for prompting these two new options theweasel68, it's hard to say for sure given the size of my Default Playlist, but between the combination of a 132bpm target and the new genre option I already seem to be exploring new areas of it.

Further down the line I might have to turn off one of these options to avoid cul-de-sacs, but for now it's fun to be exploring regions new.
civiliza

ScrobblerDJ V2.15.1

Post by civiliza »

URGENT New Corrected Version ScrobblerDJ V2.15.1

The V2.15 code produced errors whenever no Similar Artists could be found/played and "Same Genre If Match Failed" was turned off. (I had assumed that calling iter.ValueByIndex(0) when the iter was empty would return a Null, but apparently not).

V2.15.1 corrects this problem and should be used by anyone who downloaded V2.15
theweasel68

Re: ScrobblerDJ V2.15.1 - Updated 19/09/2013

Post by theweasel68 »

Hi,
I got an error message regarding the GENRE with your latest message, see below.

Also, what i am recognizing: GENRE is not changed anymore? I was stuck in "DANCE" and had to change manually, i.e., selected new track. Then the error appeared:
civiliza

Re: ScrobblerDJ V2.15.1 - Updated 19/09/2013

Post by civiliza »

theweasel68 wrote:Hi,
I got an error message regarding the GENRE with your latest message, see below.

Also, what i am recognizing: GENRE is not changed anymore? I was stuck in "DANCE" and had to change manually, i.e., selected new track. Then the error appeared:
Hi theweasel68, I am deeply sorry, the error message was caused by copying and pasting similar code from the multiple Artist processing and not fully modifying it for multiple Genre processing.

Thanks for the screenshot, it led me straight to the problem which has now been fixed (for what it's worth, it happens when ScrobblerDJ starts to match genres with a track which has multiple genres - not sure I have any of those, so apologies for releasing this untested).

As for getting stuck in DANCE, that's the cul-de-sac problem I was worried about, so far I've hit it twice, once on Club Dance (Blondie), and once on Surf Rock (Beach Boys), in both cases other filters blocked out tracks by Similar Artists and eventually it ran out of songs in the genre and got stuck.

(With Blondie I temporarily lowered the Minimum Match and changed the Target BPM, while with the Beach Boys I turned off Same Genre briefly and increased the Target BPM and BPM Window - as I had feared, with too many filters (especially Target BPM) taking away alternative candidates, the Same Genre option can all too easily get stuck in remote branches of the library).

It's because the Same Genre processing hijacks the "if all else fails" processing.
Last edited by civiliza on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
civiliza

ScrobblerDJ V2.15.2

Post by civiliza »

URGENT New Debugged Version ScrobblerDJ V2.15.2

Correction to the multiple genre processing when Same Genre If Match Failed option is turned on.

Highly recommended for users of ScrobblerDJ V2.15 or V2.15.1.
civiliza

ScrobblerDJ V2.16

Post by civiliza »

New version ScrobblerDJ V2.16

My previous answer to theweasel68 made me realise that without a fallback Same Genre If Match Failed could all too easily back ScrobblerDJ into a position when it could no longer queue tracks because they were all of a different genre.

I have therefore added a fallback solution as follows:

If no track can be found with the same genre then Same Genre If Match Failed is temporarily overridden and a random Default Playlist track picked even if it has a different genre. This allows track queuing to continue even if ScrobblerDJ has exhausted all the playable tracks from the current genre. (Although it does reintroduce the spectre of random switches from eg Thrash Metal to Classical and back again, but it's either that or abruptly stopping track queueing once a genre has ended on a track with no Similar Artists).

(Scrobbler V2.16 Also fixes a bug in the Same Genre If Match Failed processing of blank Genres).
theweasel68

Re: ScrobblerDJ V2.16 - Updated 19/09/2013

Post by theweasel68 »

Hi,
seems the problem with multiple genre still exist in v2.16. I added a song with several semicolon separated genres and got this error message:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us