Wrong track order when using MM server

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

napoca

Wrong track order when using MM server

Post by napoca »

Hi,

I am having a strange issue when using MM as a server and try to stream music to my AVR (Pioneer Elite SC-71).

Everything works fine, including gapless playback which is a deal breaker for me :D. The thing is I am mainly listening to albums, but for some reason MM sort the tracks alphabetically and not according to the track#. I initially thought might had been a receiver issue, but using a different player (the built in WMP12) I don't have the same problem. Why not using WMP then? Because WMP cannot natively play flac and it doesn't play the converted files gapless, although it can play them in correct order.

Is there any resolution to this issue, or simply is not MM problem but receivers?

Thank you.
Last edited by Lowlander on Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to correct Forum
Lowlander

Re: Wrong track order when using MM server

Post by Lowlander »

Try MediaMonkey 4.1 beta from the Beta Testing forum which features sorting improvements over DLNA.
napoca

Post by napoca »

Thank you for the suggestion, actually this is what I did, installed the beta version before posting here.

The thing is it didn't work. I am a MM user since 2005 and I love this player. What should I do now?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which build?
napoca

Post by napoca »

Lowlander wrote:Which build?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Trying on MMW (client) and MMA it shows files in expected Track# order. Do your files have Track#, Album Artist and Disc# assigned correctly (eg. sorting in MMW (library) it sorts tracks as expected)?
napoca

Post by napoca »

Lowlander wrote:Trying on MMW (client) and MMA it shows files in expected Track# order. Do your files have Track#, Album Artist and Disc# assigned correctly (eg. sorting in MMW (library) it sorts tracks as expected)?
I don't understand what MMW and MMA stand for, but I guess you are asking if my files show in player in the correct order?

If this is the question, than the answer is yes, everything is properly tagged, and in MM player, in the main window and in the playlist everything works fine. When streaming, MM sort the tracks alphabetically according to the "Title" file property, I guess, ignoring Track# tag. These are just my guesses, as I don't have a deep understanding of how the software works.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MMW is MediaMonkey for Windows and MMA is MediaMonkey for Android (MM8 is MediaMonkey for Metro).

I checked on a Samsung TV and it also shows the tracks in the correct order. Are you maybe viewing a Magic Nodes?
napoca

Post by napoca »

OK, thanks for the heads up.

No, I don't have magic nodes yet. What is happening is I go into my receiver's input and select network. Receiver sees both servers as I said in the first post: WMP12 and MM. If I choose the WMP12 and select and play one album everything works fine except gapless playback (which I had expected to not work). If I choose MMW, gapless playback is fine (as Pioneer Elite SC-71 implemented this year for network playback and desktop version of MMW can do - but not MM8 yet).

So, what confuses me is why WMP can sort the tracks correctly and MMW cannot. I mention the players use different libraries, but WMP library is just the same library MM use but converted using MM into wma, which WMP can read.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Are the tracks in order in MM? I believe the sort order over the network mimics the sort order you've set in MM.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

nohitter151 wrote:I believe the sort order over the network mimics the sort order you've set in MM.
That should no longer the case in 4.1. Sorting should be hard coded (independent of what you've sorted on in MMW) and for me it works.
napoca

Post by napoca »

Thanks everybody for your contributions, the issue has been solved in a quite strange mode.

I installed today JRiver Media Center (demo mode) with the idea in mind to try other server and see if it's MM's problem or not. At some moment the software downloaded and installed Microsoft Net Framework (I didn't pay attention to what version, but I think some 3.x version). After the installation was done, JRiver started to scan for music, and as it was taking too long, I tried once again to stream music (pull) from MM server. Magically, it played flawless: correct order and gapless.

I mentioned this because that's the only difference between yesterday and today on my system, an installation of some old version of Net Framework. I have no idea what that program does, or even if that really was the solution, if Windows 8.1 (my current OS) had already have it or not, but now it's working.

Cheers.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I am almost certain that .NET framework version doesn't have an impact on this.

Maybe you tested slightly another way or previously you tested the old MM version (4.0.7)?

e.g. previously you could test navigating Music->Album->.. amd this time you tested Music->Artist->Album... or something like such a difference?
Anyhow if you will be able to reproduce it again then it would be best to catch this in debug log as we cannot reproduce it (might be device specific)
heynow

Post by heynow »

Lowlander wrote:Try MediaMonkey 4.1 beta from the Beta Testing forum which features sorting improvements over DLNA.
I was having the same problem. I updated to the latest version and problem solved. Thanks.
natakk

Post by natakk »

Lowlander wrote:Try MediaMonkey 4.1 beta from the Beta Testing forum which features sorting improvements over DLNA.
where in MM can i set this sorting options?