About MediaMonkey for Win 8 / RT

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows 8/RT

Moderator: Gurus

Mark4296

Re: About MediaMonkey for Win 8 / RT

Post by Mark4296 »

Has anyone figured out how to make Playlist or import Playlist. I have a few m3u's I would like to add.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried scanning the folder that contains the Playlist file(s)?

With in MediaMonkey for Metro you can add files to a Playlist by selecting the file(s) (and bringing the upper and lower bar in view (not sure what they're called in Metro)).
Mark4296

Post by Mark4296 »

Yes I did try scanning the folder with the playlists, no success. I did figure out how to create list after reading your post. Thanks. Any additional information on adding playlist would be great. I don't want to have to re-create all my lists.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I wasn't able to add a Playlist either, maybe this feature isn't available in the beta yet.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Check if tracks from playlists are in DB (also check if paths in m3u list are correct).
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Mark4296

Post by Mark4296 »

Yes, the tracks are in the playlist and the path for scanning is correct.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Can you send me that m3u ?
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
rhs

Couple of Questions

Post by rhs »

Like the Metro interface.. if only it could be a direct replacement for xbox music and sync wirelessly with Windows Phones 8.

1 - If I am a Lifetime Gold Member does that apply to this version for wifi sync?

2 - Can a MM8 install sync with a MM4 Sync server on the same machine? So that I don't necessarily have to have 2 dbs? Prefer to have the MM4 be the primary.
- To be honest I am not sure I completely understand the concept of the Sync server.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MM8 is just a Metro App, not a replacement of MMW. This means that syncing and many other features will still be done by MMW, but you can use MM8 as a front-end (more finger friendly) for MMW. If you enable Media Sharing in MMW you can access this in MM8 under UPnP. You can share anything you want from MMW including AutoPlaylists.

MM8 is a different product thus your Lifetime License doesn't cover anything for MM8 or MMA, it only covers MMW updates.
rjpaiz

Post by rjpaiz »

Lowlander wrote:MM8 is just a Metro App, not a replacement of MMW. This means that syncing and many other features will still be done by MMW, but you can use MM8 as a front-end (more finger friendly) for MMW. If you enable Media Sharing in MMW you can access this in MM8 under UPnP. You can share anything you want from MMW including AutoPlaylists.

MM8 is a different product thus your Lifetime License doesn't cover anything for MM8 or MMA, it only covers MMW updates.
Hi! Not sure I clearly understand, so can I get the "letter-by-letter" version of that spelled out to me, please?

1. Is MM for Win8 (Metro) intended to be complementary to MM for Win7, like a nicer and touch-enabled browsing/playing front end? Or is it intended to be a replacement, with (now or in the future) all of the MM functionality we've come to know and love?

2. If it's intended to be a complement, I should run a single MM4 server somewhere on the network, and browse from MM8 clients... right? And of course there'd be no problem in using the MM8 client as well on the same machine as the MM4 server... right?

3. If it's intended to be a full replacement eventually, is there a general plan for how many months or years it'll take to develop all the functionality?

Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MM8 is not a a replacement for MMW. If you're just interested in playback MM8 alone will suffice, but it will lack many of the features of MMW when it comes to managing your media.

You can either use MM8 as standalone in which case it directly accesses the files or you can use it as a front-end for MMW in which case you use UPnP in MM8 to access the MMW Media Server. The latter is a more complicated setup, but has as benefit that you can track Play History centrally and share AutoPlaylists/Collections to refine what you see in MM8.
rjpaiz

Post by rjpaiz »

Got it, thanks.

Is the UPnP setup in MMW easy enough to figure out by poking around if I've never done it before, or should I look for a how-to?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I believe it is fairly easy. The biggest stumbling block is Firewall/Security software blocking the Media Server access to the local network (in most cases Firewall software will ask permission which you need to grant).
rjpaiz

Post by rjpaiz »

Thank you. I'll get started then. :)
hansi9990

Post by hansi9990 »

Hello

Although I can the Microsoft app page open in the browser but there is no possibility to download and at the store in windows 8 I can not find MediaMonkey 8, how do I get Media Monkey for windows 8 RT?

PS: Sorry, I've figured it out, I have this page always open with Firefox, when I then tried it with IE I was automatically routed to the store and the download.