Separate 'Artist' and 'Album Artist' nodes

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

JBS

Separate 'Artist' and 'Album Artist' nodes

Post by JBS »

Trying show Separate 'Artist' and 'Album Artist' nodes in the Music tree. Found the following in the Wiki/Web/Library help:

Artist & Album Artist

Displays Tracks sorted by Artist, while each <Artist> subnode allow you to view Tracks by said Artist, or albums by said Album Artist. For users who prefer to have separate Artist and Album Artist nodes, this is also possible by customizing the default view.
Note: Artist and Album Artist support multiple values, which means that any given track can appear in multiple Artist or Album Artist subnodes.

It is not apparent to me how to make this change? :-?

Are there issues with data integrity with large (70,000) WAV files? When synchronizing tags, the edit/change does not always update properly. ie. I will have 'Tom Petty' as the high level 'Album Artist' and either Tom Petty or Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers as the 'Artist. MediaMonkey seems unable to make these changes or will make some but not all.

Thanks,
JBS
Lowlander

Re: Separate 'Artist' and 'Album Artist' nodes

Post by Lowlander »

File > Manage Collections and edit the Collection in question. You can select the Artist and the Album Artist node instead of the Artist & Album Artist node.

WAV has poor tagging support due to the lack of a standard for WAV files (which is why many choose FLAC). What MediaMonkey supports is discussed here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0
JBS

Post by JBS »

Lowlander wrote:File > Manage Collections and edit the Collection in question. You can select the Artist and the Album Artist node instead of the Artist & Album Artist node.

WAV has poor tagging support due to the lack of a standard for WAV files (which is why many choose FLAC). What MediaMonkey supports is discussed here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0
Thank You Lowlander,

When I decided to rip my CD collection to a lossless format I thought that WAV would be closest to the original media. Had read that FLAC was a solid lossless format but remained suspicious of the compression. Did not realize the inherent weakness for metadata/tag support that is part of WAV. Fortunately, large drives are affordable these days. I will convert my WAV to FLAC and create a new MediaMonkey collection.

Using DBpoweramp for ripping and conversion. http://www.dbpoweramp.com/
Also use Tag&Rename for additional data management. http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

I have to update aprox 1500 'Unknown' Artists. Is there a quicker way to do this than keying in each artist one at a time? Is there any way to update or insert MM.DB directly?

Thanks again,
Jim Stevens (JBS)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Compression used in FLAC is like ZIP compression. Nothing of the original file gets lost. This FLAC remains a lossless format like WAV, but with much better tagging support. If you stick with WAV you should regularly backup the MediaMonkey database as it will be the only source for many tags.

Note WAV to FLAC (or any lossless format) should not result in quality loss as both are lossless formats.

It depends on where the unknown information might be available. For example if it's in the folder/filename you can use Tools > Auto-Tag from Filename for select files (with the same folder/filename format) and if it's in another tag I'd suggest checking out RegExp Find & Replace: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 26+Replace
JeffV64

Post by JeffV64 »

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but I have exactly this problem with a twist and its probably best to house the conversations together. I see how to edit collections, but when I attempt to either edit an existing collection or to create a new one, the only tree node that appears is "Play History and Stats" (from the play history and stats script). I don't see album etc. (even though my existing collections display the things you'd think they would). I'm using 4.1.14.1813. Am I doing something stupid?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

So in the Tree Nodes tab no standard nodes are shown?
JeffV64

Post by JeffV64 »

So in the Tree Nodes tab no standard nodes are shown?
Yes, odd right? All I see is the node for play history and stats. Obviously, I am flummoxed! :)

Jeff
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Can you show a screenshot (imgur.com can be used)? It sounds like some form of corruption going on.
JeffV64

Post by JeffV64 »

Here is a screenshot: http://imgur.com/PjtzW6y

I got there by going to File/Manage Collections, clicking on "Available Tracks", then clicking the little edit icon.

Jeff
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried uninstalling that Addon?
JeffV64

Post by JeffV64 »

Lowlander wrote:Have you tried uninstalling that Addon?
Just gave that a shot. I removed the addon (including the settings, which it gives you the option to keep), then restarted MM. Doing so removed the play history and stats node, and now the entire thing is empty. So it didn't help. :(
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm not entirely sure where MediaMonkey would get this information. You could try a clean install while keeping the database (or a separate Portable Install using the same database), but if the database is the source it may be corrupted. You can also try File > Maintain Library with complete optimization checked and see if that resolves the problem.
JeffV64

Post by JeffV64 »

Ok well thank you for processing this with me. At the very least, you've helped my peace of mind :)

I don't want to do full re-install right now because of all of the implications of doing so, but I might submit a ticket and if so I'll post any results here.

Jeff