Some questions

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

soopytwist

Some questions

Post by soopytwist »

I'm new to Media Monkey. I had to ditch Windows Media Player due to it randomly changing tags for no reason, especially years.
I have some questions and suggestions regarding the latest version of Media Monkey:

1. I have art view on so it looks like how I had WMP. My albums are sorted by album name alphabetically however the artist name is in bold above the album name and I want it the other way around with album in bold above the artist name - how do I do this?

2. Scrolling up and down through all my albums is very slow and jerky - any way to improve this?

3. The separation between each letter group is hard to spot. It would be handy if the line "A (57)" for example was coloured and had a larger gap between the A's and the B's for example.

4. How do I just "open" the contents of an album to view and pick one song instead of adding the entire album to the play list?

5. Can you please make it so to remove a song from a playlist it doesn't prompt me to remove the track from my library or computer. Seriously, if you add a track to a playlist you are not likely to want to delete it are you? One of these days I'm going to tick the wrong option and loose a track...probably when I'm drunk. Just remove the track from the playlist don't prompt for anything else!

6. Opening Media Monkey doesn't remember my preferred view i.e by album name in alphabetical order, it chooses to sort by artist name instead. Any way to fix that?

7. Simplify the way to add new tracks to the library. I haven't yet figured out how to do this without making a total mess of duplicated tracks and tracks in my library that are not actually on my hard drive. Without scanning the entire library again (which takes a very long time because I have about 914 albums and 21,222 tracks).
Lowlander

Re: Some questions

Post by Lowlander »

1) Tools > Options > Playback Rules, Art View.

2) File > Maintain Library with complete optimization and faster hardware.

3) Not sure how much Skins can do with this.

4) You can't, this has been requested though. Use the Art with Details view or the Art Browser instead.

5) Tools > Options > Confirmations.

6) Depends on what you were viewing. An AutoPlaylist for example will sort on its set sort order, not the last manual sort used on it.

7) Which version of MediaMonkey? For available methods see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ibrary/4.0
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

1. Tools > Options > Player > Playback Rules > Music > Art View > [above field] <Album> >
[below field] <Artist>

2. What vers. of MM are you on? OS? Are you using modern hardware. How large a collection?

3. This is mostly skin dependent (not aware of any that do what you are asking), but you can
natively change the font size under Option > Skin.

4. You can do a search for the album and then choose the song(s) you want from the file
list or open Entire Library collection by clicking on arrow beside it > album node (click on arrow beside it) > find album > choose from file list > right click > send to playlist or right click play menu to now playing [or drag & drop to now playing].

7. What is your process for adding new tracks to the library?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
soopytwist

Post by soopytwist »

Thanks guys. And sorry for the late response.

Issue #2 when I clicked on Optimize database (Complete) it said it could take several hours...what will take several hours? I don't understand. I cancelled that. I'm using version 4.1.6.1736 Standard. Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Intel Core i7-3970X, 16Gb RAM, Asus P9X70 Deluxe, 2x EVGA GTX 780 SC (in SLI mode).

Issue #3, my process for adding a new track goes like this:

1. Copy the MP3 into the appropriate folder on my music HDD - let's say it's a favourite song track so it does in I:\My Favourite Music\Favourite Songs\.

I use Mp3tag v2.43 to change tags if it's a song I bought on Amazon for example. I set the tracks album name to Favourite Songs, give it the newest track number (e.g 615) and update album art to match the same album art I set for all the tracks in the Favourite Songs folder.

To add this to the MM library I figured just playing it in MM would automatically add it to the library - it doesn't. In fact I'm not entirely sure how I managed to add the least track. I just fiddled about with it until it appeared but made a bit of a mess of it I think.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

2) The optimization can take that long (however it generally won't) during which MM can't be used.
3) No, playing files won't add them (undesirable for many) instead you need to add them: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ibrary/4.0
soopytwist

Post by soopytwist »

What the heck? I'm not scanning my whole library just to add one track.

I've uninstalled Media Monkey, I'll have to wait until its less stupid. I guess I'm going to have to revert back to Media Player and put up with it randomly changing tags when it feels like it :( :x

EDIT

Clearly this doesn't work:

Manually Adding Individual Media Files

You can manually add individual Media Files to the Library without having to rescan folders by:

Dragging & dropping them on the main Collection nodes in the MediaMonkey Media Tree from Windows Explorer.
Dragging & dropping them into the Now Playing and from the Now Playing dragging & dropping them onto a Playlist (not AutoPlaylists.)

So why include it?!
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

You know .. if you simply set folder(s) to watched status then just dropping the track(s) or vid or whatever will automatically load it into MMW. Then you don't have to scan your folder.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It works fine for me and I regularly use it. Just drag & drop some selected files on the Entire Library node and they'll be added (if not see Notes in linked page).
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Works for me (without monitoring). You should be able to drop it on any collection (not sub-node).
What exactly are you using to drop to.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

Lowlander wrote: 3) No, playing files won't add them (undesirable for many) instead you need to add them: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ibrary/4.0
This is confusing. I have never dragged-and-dropped or scanned any folder -- the only methods I see in the wiki reference. I go to the folder where I put new music files, right-click and play, then while they are in the now playing list I listen, set the tags, and move them into folders, such as "Folk," for storage. Does this mean my songs are not in the library? They show up under music in the media tree.
Can't afford a signature.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

The "playing" itself doesn't add them to the library.
GeraldB wrote:I go to the folder where I put new music files, right-click and play
Inside/outside of MM? If in MM, the Library or My Computer node?
GeraldB wrote:then while they are in the now playing list I listen, set the tags, and move them into folders, such as "Folk," for storage. Does this mean my songs are not in the library? They show up under music in the media tree.
1. the first act is that you played them and they are in "now playing" but not in the library.
2. the second act is that you moved them. But if you move it straight into a library collection folder from now playing it would not be added
(only to a playlist this way will it also add to the library).

If you don't want it currently added to a playlist, but you want it in the library and you also want to listen first, click it to listen
> then drag the file from OS explorer to where you want in library.
[a little wordy but simple in action]
😜
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

GeraldB wrote:Does this mean my songs are not in the library? They show up under music in the media tree.
If they're in the Music Collection they are in the Library.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Lowlander, you incorrectly (accidental, I'm sure) attributed that quote to me :wink: . This is the correct association:
GeraldB wrote:Does this mean my songs are not in the library? They show up under music in the media tree.
😜
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

Thanks for the quick responses.

As to "inside or outside MM" -- Outside MM I rip or download tunes to a "holding" folder. Then outside MM I right-click on music files in that folder and click on "Play in Media Monkey." Then within MM if I like the music I right-click on the file or files in the Now Playing list and "Send" them to a folder (Country, Bluegrass, Jazz, etc.) on a data partition for permanent storage. No playlist is involved and I don't scan or drag-drop. The tunes do show up permanently under music on the media tree under Music - Artists or Titles, so with Lowlander's confirmation I believe they are in the library and I'll relax.

I've never used scanning or dragging, so they seem more complicated to me. It seems odd that the Wiki mentions only those methods. My procedure works fine for me so might interest the original poster.
Can't afford a signature.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Ok. You're "sending" to move. Got it.
Yeah, if it "shows" in the Library, it should be in the library.

Both ways are very similar in terms of ease of use. But sometimes it's about "easier" and sometimes it's
about what's "appropriate".
GeraldB wrote:I go to the folder where I put new music files, right-click and play, then while they are in the now playing list I listen, set the tags, and move them into folders, such as "Folk," for storage.
I would say the drag and drop is "generally" easier simply because it's less steps or without all the mouse "hovering".
But, in "your case", your way is best because you have your files in a "working" folder to start. When you are done editing
you then want them in a "different" folder. So, the way you are doing it is appropriate. The drag and drop (not the Playlist drg & drp)
works best for people who already have it in the folder they want it in regardless of whether any editing is done. Drag and drop to
any collection knows where to put it because MM just detects the path from where it came.

It all comes down to how it feels/flows for you. That's one of the great things about MM, there's often more than one way to do what you want. :)
Last edited by MMFrLife on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 9 times in total.
😜