Playing DSD files on MM4

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

drubrew

Playing DSD files on MM4

Post by drubrew »

I need help able to Play DSD files on MM4. In the Available Output Plugins I chose WASAPI but received no output. As I understand it this is the plug in to use.
Also is there a way to choose the output resolution in MM? In otherwords if I want the native resolution of 24bit/96kHz to output verse a upsample or down sampled version to 16bit/44.1kHz is there a toggle for this. Can MM4 output upto 24/192 or does it down sample to 16/44.1?
Otello

Re: Playing DSD files on MM4

Post by Otello »

If I understand correctly your first question, you want to play .DFF files; for this you need either an INPUT plugin converting in PCM on-the-fly, (Wasapi is an OUTPUT plugin), or at least that MM knows .DFF files and send them as-is to a DSD compliant DAC.
By the way, I requested DSD compatibility in the Wishlist section. ;)
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=62653

You may convert the .DFF files to PCM (Wave or Flac) using Korg Audiogate; it's free, but you need a Tweeter account; (the program send a Tweet any time you use it).

You may choose the sample rate selecting the Wasapi plugin and clicking on "Configure", you must enable "exclusive mode" before.
You may choose a fixed sample rate or - much better, IMHO - "Automatic choice (per track)".
drubrew

Post by drubrew »

Correct, I guess I need an input plug in. Foobar does DSD automatically but I much prefer the layout of MM. I'm surprised this has not been added yet. I will go Ditto your wish list post.
I found exclusive mode a little confusing as I could not get it to work. It would sputter the songs when I matched the sample rate of the wav or flac to the output sampling rate.
Otello

Post by Otello »

drubrew wrote:I found exclusive mode a little confusing as I could not get it to work. It would sputter the songs when I matched the sample rate of the wav or flac to the output sampling rate.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean with "sputter the songs"...

Anyway, setting MM to work with Wasapi exclusive to get bit-perfect output and automatic change of sample rate is not difficoult; please look at the last msg. in this thread:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=62665
windcrest77

Now you can play DSD files with MM

Post by windcrest77 »

For anyone else interested... I have many DSD encoded lossless files, finally found a way to play them without braking the bank!

Play DSD files with MM for only $149

http://schiit.com/products/loki
Stigg

Post by Stigg »

Does MediaMonkey support DSD?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Stigg wrote:Does MediaMonkey support DSD?
No.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Stigg

Post by Stigg »

nohitter151 wrote:
Stigg wrote:Does MediaMonkey support DSD?
No.
Oh! :(
Bananahead

Post by Bananahead »

Will DSD support be available soon?
wyng

Post by wyng »

Will DSD support be available soon?
This is all there is on it,

http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12458
Bananahead

Post by Bananahead »

Thanks.

It needs to be sooner rather than later. There is going to be lot's of support by others in the coming months.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Bananahead wrote:Thanks.

It needs to be sooner rather than later. There is going to be lot's of support by others in the coming months.
Interesting. Where are you learning/reading about this? Can you post a link to an article on it's "coming by lot's" here?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Bananahead

Post by Bananahead »

Apparently the next version of the Naim firmware (currently in beta) has support. My iBasso portable player has support.

http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/recom ... 4617011414

Although we should add a request for MQA support as well :)
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Yeah, maybe. I guess.
The future of DSD (as far as "really" catching on) is sketchy at best.
I wouldn't count iBasso, as it is a serious high end device and is expected to have the whistles and bells other things don't.

But who knows...Although, it would be nice to have :)
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
wyng

Post by wyng »

Here's a link to DSD-Guide.com which has a list (provided by Sonore) of supporting hardware :

http://dsd-guide.com/sonore-provides-ve ... nd-content

The spreadsheet also lists DSD Ready Media Players, UPNP servers and applications which currently support/play DSD I some form. They are:
Audirvana Plus
Bit Perfect & DSD Master
Channel D Pure Music
Feisty Dog Decibel
Foobar2000
JPlay
JRiver Media Center
Korg AudioGate 2.3.4
LH Labs Geek Perfect
Logitech Media Server
MinimServer
MPD