test build installation without losing settings

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

PDoyle

test build installation without losing settings

Post by PDoyle »

Please, best method for installation of new test builds without losing settings/playlists/scripts etc. from previous version? I'm installing the updates in C:MediaMonkey Portable, and now the folders/previous versions are all mixed together, big mess. - Do you create a new folder in C: for each update?
- each installation, I have to again set up scripts, playlists, all settings from scratch; any way to do this automatically?
- this 8.1 pc has 2 standard installations MMW4; then added Beta; then Portable Beta several installs; I've copied DB file but am confused as to which DB file contains hours of tag cleanup, duplicate deletions, etc. So I"d rather not do a clean install and lose all that work. one installation has > 100GB of tracks, mostly duplicates of a 38 GB library. How can i find the DB and settings for that 38 GB library?
thanks!
MediaMonkey 5.0.3.2627 (Portable mode)
MMA Version 1.4.5.0960
MM user since 2009
MMFrLife

Re: test build installation without losing settings

Post by MMFrLife »

If the 100gb library is the largest one, then look in all the locations for the .DB files for all the installs.
Hover your mouse over the .DB files in each one for the size and write it down. The largest sized one is probably the 100gb .DB.

.DB, .ini, .registry file locations here.

Once you find your .DB (and .ini, .registry files, if you care about settings), make a copy and reinsert them to the proper location in the new install, regardless of
portable or regular install. For portable, you can just delete the whole program and reinsert backup copy of .DB (includes playlist data), .ini, .registry,
scripts folder, skins/backgrounds, anything that would need to be carried over that isn't natively part of MM.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Install on top of existing install, that's all there is to it.

You may at some point have installed a regular install on top of a portable install and messed things up that way.
PDoyle

Post by PDoyle »

so I install by selecting portable; and accepting the location of c:\MediaMonkey
and the newest test build MMW portable will install and have the same library, playlists, settings etc. as the previous version?
MMA Version 1.4.5.0960
MM user since 2009
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Yes, an on-top-of (as opposed to clean) is the simplest way to do an install (regular or portable). But make sure you have a backup copy of
essential files, anyway, just for safekeeping.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
PDoyle

Post by PDoyle »

I have copied and pasted the Backup dated March, 2015 (i think it was trixmoto's Backup 6.0; it has Configuration Settings, MM Database file, Restore VB Script file, and a Scripts folder) to the C:/MediaMonkey directory, alongside the 4.1.8.1747 beta non-skinned application MM file...but when I open MM, it doesn't show the scripts I had backedup; but it does show many playlists, so that's progress. I don't know how to set the Restore; clicking on it asks me to enter the MM directory, but i'm entering wrong; I get "path not found" error. Perhaps those 6.0 backup files should be placed in C:/MediaMonkey/Portable, instead? That folder already contains MM database, Configuration, and Registry files; should they be deleted?
MMA Version 1.4.5.0960
MM user since 2009
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I am not sure whether the Trixmoto's Backup 6.0 script supports portable installs, but if you installed MM as portable then all data are stored within the install directory, scripts from the Scripts folder, and user data from the Portable folder.
Try to open MM and see menu Hlep -> About..
There is (Portable Mode) appendix if your MM runs in portable mode.

If the appendix is not there then your MM is not running as portable, to enable this you need to re-install it as portable over your current install folder or edit the file:
/Portable/MediaMonkey.ini to includes this:

[Portable]
IsPortable=1
PDoyle

Post by PDoyle »

I do not see an Appendix in the About screen....
yet I do already find in settings...

[Portable]
IsPortable=1

I have no scripts appearing...but the size of the library is 38GB, which was my hope as it should contain files with the most updated worked-on tags

I will install the newest Beta version MMW in portable mode to C://MediaMonkey and see what happens now...
MMA Version 1.4.5.0960
MM user since 2009