No audio

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

DavidPaul

No audio

Post by DavidPaul »

I've installed MediaMonkey okay, but when I get no audio when I play an mp3 file. If I play the same file in (for example) iTunes, it plays okay. Not sure where to start...
nohitter151

Re: No audio

Post by nohitter151 »

Does the seekbar move at all? Do the tracks grey out when you attempt to play them?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you check the Volume in MediaMonkey and make sure it isn't set at 0 (or muted)?

See: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=90
DavidPaul

Post by DavidPaul »

nohitter151 wrote:Does the seekbar move at all? Do the tracks grey out when you attempt to play them?
Lowlander wrote:Did you check the Volume in MediaMonkey and make sure it isn't set at 0 (or muted)?

See: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=90
Not sure what's meant by "seekbar". The progress bar along the bottom moves (and indicates min:sec gone/outstanding).

When I play a track, it bolds in the list.

Couldn't see a volume control on the main screen, but I displayed the equalizer window and the volume is set to 50%. Moved it to 100% and still no audio.

Had a look at http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=90, but I'm afraid it's all a bit technical for me. I expected to install the software and it would work (like with iTunes).

I must be missing something...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You may want to try an alternative MP3 plugin: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=101
DavidPaul

Post by DavidPaul »

Lowlander wrote:You may want to try an alternative MP3 plugin: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=101
Thanks for trying to help, but MediaMonkey doesn't seem to be intended for ordinary folk like me. I'm a super-user, but not a super-geek, so really have no idea how to make the changes suggested in the article.

Looks like I'll have to stick with the dreaded iTunes.

Thanks everyone for all the help.
SansaMonkey

Post by SansaMonkey »

Have you recently opened your Files with Windows Media Player?
Is there any volume?
DavidPaul

Post by DavidPaul »

SansaMonkey wrote:Have you recently opened your Files with Windows Media Player?
Is there any volume?
They work with everything except MediaMonkey.
jc836

Post by jc836 »

Please do try a different Output Plug-in. Media Monkey appears to be working otherwise.
Go to Tools, Options and you will find where the plug-ins are.
Retired Broadcast Recording Engineer
Oldies are our main Genre. YES-we listen to Country and a few others too!
DavidPaul

Post by DavidPaul »

jc836 wrote:Please do try a different Output Plug-in. Media Monkey appears to be working otherwise.
Go to Tools, Options and you will find where the plug-ins are.
Well, I'm now only slightly confused, which I guess is a considerable improvement. I opened MediaMonkey and confirmed that there was no audio when playing an MP3. Then I went to Tools/Options and changed the output plugin from "MediaMonkey DirectSound output" to "MediaMonkey WASAPI output". This fixed the problem (many thanks).

Then, on a whim, I changed the output plugin back to "MediaMonkey DirectSound output", and the audio still worked? As a final check, I closed and reopened MediaMonkey and it still works.

Yours, gratefully (if slightly bewildered)
Peke

Post by Peke »

There is also possibility that MM is outputting sound to secondary output. Contact me on PM to see if we can arrange some remote session that I can look what the heck is going on.

BAD Monkey!
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
SB

Post by SB »

Hi, I have been using mediamonkey for a while without issue, but now I have this 'no sound' problem. No sound on anything in Mediamonkey or it appears windows media player but all fine on itunes. Tried everything i could manage with average ability from the directions above and support pages, but giving up in frustration - why has it suddenly failed? Mine doesn't allow me to select the 'WASAPI' option (whatever that means!).
dannyno

Post by dannyno »

I experienced what I think might be a similar symptom today.

Everything in mediamonkey seemed fine. What actually needed changing was the windows volume setting, which had reverted to 0. Why it had reverted to 0 I do not know, as I don't remember changing it, and had been using headphones quite happily. I presume MM won't mess with windows volume settings? I shall be keeping a closer watch on this in future.

Dan
RamAir

Post by RamAir »

I have also experience no audio today. I a Gold member and it was working fine today. I bought 3 songs in iTunes, closed that and then scanned in MM.
Now no sound. I have tried all previous strings to solve and no luck. I do not know what to do. All other audio is working in other apps, no MM. I really do not want to uninstall. I hope there is some help.
Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »