Does Media Monkey Have an App for the iPhone?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Scooter

Does Media Monkey Have an App for the iPhone?

Post by Scooter »

I'm a long time Media Monkey lifetime gold member and love the product for organizing about 30,000 tracks of music on my PC.

I've got an iPhone and up to now could deal with iTunes, but the last 4 releases have removed custom art and lyrics and other stuff. Its really dumbing down the iTunes product, and I not sure why. I would have assumed that new releases to the software would offer more sophisticated operation and new features, but the new releases are going the other direction.

I was looking for an App on the iPhone to replace iTunes. Important features are separate data base for mp3 (all my PC music is lossless), playlists, lyrics, custom art, and the ability to synch from the mp3 data base to the phone. I would like to completely replace iTunes on my iPhone with another application which is more sophisticated

Does Media Monkey have an App for the iPhone?
Regards,

Scooter
Registered Lifetime Gold Licensee
Since 2006

Custom RAID Workstation > Focusrite I/O > 1g Cat6 Network > Adcom Preamp > Vandersteen Crossover > Adcom Power Amp > Vandersteen 3 Speakers > Vandersteen 2wq Subwoofer
Lowlander

Re: Does Media Monkey Have an App for the iPhone?

Post by Lowlander »

No, and it seems unlikely that will happen in the future. MediaMonkey can sync to Apple devices (iOS devices require iTunes to be installed). There is MediaMonkey for Android if you ever switch to Android.

With MediaMonkey you don't need to keep a separate MP3 copy of your media files as MediaMonkey can auto-convert on sync. However Collections in MediaMonkey will allow you to separate content using Criteria (like Extension or Path).

Post by Guest »

Bummer. I wish I could toss iTunes.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You don't need to use iTunes on your PC, it just needs to be installed as MediaMonkey (and any other software) need it to communicate with iOS Apple devices.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

You say your files are lossless but then confusingly keep referring to mp3s which are not. If you do have lossless files (FLAC or such), there are a number of iOs apps that play hi-res files (i.e. do not convert them to mp3s). After trying several I settled on Onkyo's hi res player and am very pleased with the result. None of the ones I tried, however, displayed lyrics. Unfortunately, you cannot use Media Monkey to sync hi-res tracks to any of these apps. The Onkyo uses the file transfer tool in iTunes to sync the hi-res (and MP3 files if you wish) to the iPhone/iPod and others I tried also use this. Files that are synced as MP3s by MM to the iPhone can be played in the Onkyo app and can be mixed in a playlist with hi-res files that have been synced with file transfer.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If Onkyo app can play tracks that MMW sync then only thing you need to do is to add FLAC to Supported Audio formats of your iPhone profile and disable Auto conversion of FLAC.

Please let us know the results.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

I am not sure what happened. The files did sync and MMW did not indicate that it was converting the FLAC files, which it did before I make the changes Peke suggested. The Onkyo player normally indicates the file type that it is playing, but for these files it indicated "unknown", but it did play them. More confusing, iTunes also played them with no problems, so I am not sure what format they are in on the iPhone.
Peke wrote:Hi,
If Onkyo app can play tracks that MMW sync then only thing you need to do is to add FLAC to Supported Audio formats of your iPhone profile and disable Auto conversion of FLAC.

Please let us know the results.
mikehende

MM for iOS?

Post by mikehende »

Hey guys, is there an App for the iphone and if yes, since I already have the PRO App for windows, can I use that license for it please?
Last edited by Lowlander on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged
Lowlander

Re: MM for iOS?

Post by Lowlander »

No, there is no MediaMonkey App for iOS and none is planned as far as I know.
Max Headroom

IPad ios13

Post by Max Headroom »

Hi - first time post so apologies if this is in the wrong place or inappropriate.

As a long time user of MM (Gold lifetime in 2008!) - can I put in an urgent plea for Media Monkey on the iPad.

As of iOS 13 I can access and play FLAC files on my ipad - but there is no decent media player on iPad to play them in the manner to which I have become accustomed! Very few play will play them directly from the hard drive - some will only play one track at a time - forget albums and album art!

Fingers crossed :)
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

It's not cheap in any way, but roon will definitely play directly from your desktop hard drive on your ipad with roon installed on both machines.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
When you edit iPad profile under Options -> Auto Conversation you can manually add FLAC as supported Audio format. Try to sync few and see if that improve things.

Re MM on iOS, last time we were considering making MM for iOS Apple asked for parts of our proprietary source code, and demanded that app can't access any other parts of device storage to read and load media from it. It was unacceptable and thus no MM on iOS. To be honest it was years ago, but i doubt they changed something in policy.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Max Headroom

Post by Max Headroom »

Peke wrote:Re MM on iOS, last time we were considering making MM for iOS Apple asked for parts of our proprietary source code, and demanded that app can't access any other parts of device storage to read and load media from it. It was unacceptable and thus no MM on iOS. To be honest it was years ago, but i doubt they changed something in policy.
Thanks for the detailed response - sadly no shock that Apple have control issues! :lol:

Cheers
DungHo

Post by DungHo »

wow, i was hoping for MM app on IOS. can MM sync to a dedicated folder on IOS?
I'm a long time user of MM and considering switching to Iphone on the next release (14). my only drawback is this.
I do not want to leave MM.
Samsung has failed to impress me with their recent releases.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey can Sync to iOS, but it follows Apple's filing system (it isn't customizable like on Android): https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... Tracks/5.0