Poor Performance; lost data

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

tom stearns

Poor Performance; lost data

Post by tom stearns »

I run v4.1.18.1852 Gold under Win 7 Ult. Over the past two months orso MMonkey has started running erratically with various issues such as failing to search correctly (search term IS in the data but not found), all my playlists are empty altho the database is 42.4 MB and shows it was modified yesterday when I installed
a new dowloaded music folder Sometimes it takes several seconds to recognize a command to change tracks its playing and so forth. How do I get back to a good running MMonkey?
Lowlander

Re: Poor Performance; lost data

Post by Lowlander »

Run File > Maintain Library with complete optimization enabled.
tom stearns

Post by tom stearns »

Lowlander wrote:Run File > Maintain Library with complete optimization enabled.
No effect. It takes several seconds for the playlists to respond to being "clicked" on but at least 50% of them are empty and every one of them was created by me so there was content at one time.

This seems like a corrupted program problem or possibly an incompatibility between my version and Win7 Ultimate. Is there a way for me to back up a version or two?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you maybe remove files from the Library? That would empty out Playlists.

If you have an older copy (backup) of the database you could revert to it. You can also try reinstalling MediaMonkey. Older versions: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... 6/software
tom stearns

Post by tom stearns »

Lowlander wrote:Did you maybe remove files from the Library? That would empty out Playlists.

If you have an older copy (backup) of the database you could revert to it. You can also try reinstalling MediaMonkey. Older versions: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... 6/software
No; no files have been removed. I have migrated to a larger HDD (2TB vs 1TB) but the new one is a copy of the original 1TB with no deletions. Please note the other odd misbehaviours--failure to find files using SEARCH even though the search term is clearly in the file I seek--like "Creation" for the Handel oratorio. It's there but not found by SEARCH. Also, if I wish to select several files--like all the tracks in an album-- I cannot use the "hold down the Shift key and click on the other end" to get them all. Media Monkey also runs very slowly and occasionally freezes.\

Again, how do I download and instal an earlier version to avoid the beta v4 1.18.?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

tom stearns wrote:I have migrated to a larger HDD (2TB vs 1TB) but the new one is a copy of the original 1TB with no deletions.
How?
tom stearns wrote:Again, how do I download and instal an earlier version to avoid the beta v4 1.18.?
Lowlander wrote:If you have an older copy (backup) of the database you could revert to it. You can also try reinstalling MediaMonkey. Older versions: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... 6/software
tom stearns

Post by tom stearns »

Thanks for your various repsonses. The link you provide takes me to a knowledgebase which discusses various earlier versions. I need a download link. Where would I find the library of available downloads WITH LINKS so I can get one?

If I had a download on my PC, would I delete the existing Mediamonkey program or overwrite it?

I assume the new install could find the data base file ie the playlists, music in the library etc as well s the actual music files, as these were organized entirely by Media Monkey?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

They are right there for each version. Alternative: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =8811&sd=d

You can install it right over the existing install, your current Library will be retained.

This means that whatever is in the Library (inlcuding Playlists) will remain as-is.
tom stearns

Post by tom stearns »

Lowlander wrote:They are right there for each version. Alternative: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =8811&sd=d

You can install it right over the existing install, your current Library will be retained.

This means that whatever is in the Library (inlcuding Playlists) will remain as-is.
As the current playlists and library appear to be corrupted I am not sure this iswhat I want. But I will make an attempt.

Let me try a different approach:

I periodically make a clone (ie total copy and bootable) of the harddrive in my laptop. I have one which was made in September of 2015; the MediaMonkey DB file is around 27MB ion this drive so I have installed it in the laptop because at that time the system was working properly..

When I insert this cloned drive into my laptop, the O/S recognizes the external HDD with the 1.2TB of data. However, Media Monkey, although it has all the playlists, cannot play them.. I think the problem is a conflict in the path information ie the drive letter in the MediaMonkeyDB does not match the assigned drive letter for the external HDD.

Can you tell me how to find out what drive letter MediaMonkey needs to reach the external files? I could go thru the alphabet, trying every possibility, but I would like to know where this information is stored. It does not seem to be in the MM.DB becasue when I hover over the playlist I get an expression of the path which does not include the drive lettee. It does give the assigned name ie "music" and the folder name but not the drive letter.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey uses driveID which can be updated: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... n+database
tom stearns

Post by tom stearns »

Lowlander wrote:MediaMonkey uses driveID which can be updated: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... n+database
This looks like a very complicated procedure and somewhere in the string it is said that it is "dangerous."

Here's another statement of the problem:

When i use an older HDD in the laptop--one which was produce in Septewmber of 2015--and also use the same external HDD which was in use at that time--a 1TB drive--the system works. The path information reades "E(music).....".

If I now remove the "old" 1 TB HDD and replace it with the new 2TB HDD, which includes a copy of the same data which is on the 1TB HDD, the path reads "9music)..... " ie no drive letter.

In both cases , the laptop recognizes the excternal drive as "E" but in the case of the 2TB drive MEdia Monkey does not seem to understand that this is "E" and thus does not have access to the files.

How do I fix this problem? Is the 2TB HDD corrupted in some way, ie should I format it and then reload the music information?
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

As Lowlander says, MediaMonkey identifies drives by the unique DriveID, not by drive letter. This means that it is looking for a particular physical drive regardless of the drive letter that is assigned by Windows. It's looking for the old 1TB HDD; it's not looking for whatever drive happens to be E: right now.

The Update Location of Files in Database script is easy to use and it will update all of your tracks to refer to the new drive.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's easier than File > Locate Moved/Missing Files, with that one you'll need to verify the matches before applying.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Do not forget to backup MM.DB before you change anything in order to be able to revert any changes.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
tom stearns

Post by tom stearns »

I've received an email stating that you haven't heard from me in 144 hours. I bet you'd get a different answer from lowlander or the author of Locate/Update file location!!

This issue is well on the way to solution, using the Locate/Update script. The instructions for use are thoroughly scrambled and ambiguous but I have cracked the code and gotten at least one of my systems sorted so am very please. I'll work on the bigger HDD system and get it brought back to sanity. Let me point out that the entire problem and all this chatter stems from Media Monkey's use of HDD serial number rather than just the drive letter for file paths. Why you do this is beyond my ken; I assume there's some code-writer imperative that drives it but it causes a great deal of trouble I am sure. Anyway., I am on the path to salvation and many thanks for all the attempts put forth by lowdander along the way. I ain't no computer geek but I can suss out a problem once I understand the wacko basis.