Poor Performance; lost data

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rivorson
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:17 am

Re: Poor Performance; lost data

Post by rivorson » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:13 am

Using DriveID is beneficial for external drives. Any time you plug in a a removable drive it is not guaranteed to be given the same drive letter. It might be given a different drive letter each time so looking for the files by drive letter could fail but DriveID consistently identifies the same drive every time.

Moving files between drives isn't something that many people will do often so it's better to be able to find the files when the drive letter changes.

Peke
Posts: 12500
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:21 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: Poor Performance; lost data

Post by Peke » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:23 am

Hi,
Can you give me Ticket ID so that I can check it out what and why that happened?

rivorson is right. if you for example your music is on your external drive then if you use same MM.DB (MMW library file) on multiple PCs (usually Drive letter would be different) then MMW would recognize that External drive no matter what PC you use it due the Drive Partition ID.

In MM5 we will be introducing an easier way to allocate/pair drive ID with new HDD Partition either due Format or drive change where file structure is same.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
Image
Image
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

Lowlander
Posts: 46282
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: Poor Performance; lost data

Post by Lowlander » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:16 am

It's done so that users with external drives don't run into issues when Windows assigns a different drive letter (by default Windows assigns the next available).
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

tom stearns
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Poor Performance; lost data

Post by tom stearns » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:41 pm

tom stearns wrote:I've received an email stating that you haven't heard from me in 144 hours. I bet you'd get a different answer from lowlander or the author of Locate/Update file location!!

This issue is well on the way to solution, using the Locate/Update script. The instructions for use are thoroughly scrambled and ambiguous but I have cracked the code and gotten at least one of my systems sorted so am very please. I'll work on the bigger HDD system and get it brought back to sanity. Let me point out that the entire problem and all this chatter stems from Media Monkey's use of HDD serial number rather than just the drive letter for file paths. Why you do this is beyond my ken; I assume there's some code-writer imperative that drives it but it causes a great deal of trouble I am sure. Anyway., I am on the path to salvation and many thanks for all the attempts put forth by lowdander along the way. I ain't no computer geek but I can suss out a problem once I understand the wacko basis.
Why are the playlists unpopulated when the external drive is changed? I find that almost all of my playlist info is missing, even after I use the Update/Locate script to get my library back (and it works very well, thanks very much! Confusing/ambiguous instructions but once you put on your cryptographer hat and decode them, it's a dream to use! If I knew what the reason was I might be able to reconstruct the playlists. But as I typically send an addition to my HDD to a playlist immediately after I rip q CD or copy in a hirez download when I know exactly what sort of music it is, I am helpless to rebuild in most cases from the HDD files or the Media Monkey library--I no longer know what sort of music I've got without playing it.

Lowlander
Posts: 46282
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: Poor Performance; lost data

Post by Lowlander » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Both the Library and Playlists in MediaMonkey link to an entry for the file in the database. This entry is linked to the driveID. If you do the change correctly and update the driveID both the Library and Playlists will work.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Post Reply