GPM integration [#15002][#14983][#15023][#14980][#14981][#14668][#14955][#14958][#14959][#14936][#14933][#14934][#15072]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Corneloues

Re: GPM integration [#15002]

Post by Corneloues »

Perfect, I'll give that a try this evening...
Corneloues

Post by Corneloues »

Worked perfectly!
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Hi, is the feature set for MM5 GPM integration going to be extended before MM5 release? ... has this been decided yet?

I don't think that I would use MM5 for GPM integration with the current feature set.

I refer to the following two posts;

* the 2nd half of this one (from "Use Cases"): viewtopic.php?p=448318#p448318
* and the 2nd half of this one (from "User verification and tidy up after sync"): viewtopic.php?p=448544#p448544

Specifically I am looking for the following ... I have bolded the parts that are the most important (to me).
Barry4679 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:16 am So hopefully you see at least some of these as worthwhile additions:
  1. sync option from GPM>MM, which does no track additions
  2. fine grained control over which tags get sync'd
  3. exception list showing non-linked MM tracks, able to use right click menu to add selected tracks or albums to MM db
  4. and maybe a MM->GPM option which populates the GPM comments field with your JSON string, so that GPM better serves as an offsite backup for anyone who used Google Music manager to upload
Barry4679 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:25 pm I would also like to redefine one of my requests
Barry4679 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:16 am 3. exception list showing non-linked MM tracks, able to use right click menu to add selected tracks or albums to MM db>>>
It would be good to have an exception list, or view filter, which identified MM tracks which have no GPM ID's

And it would also be good to have a Devices&Services>GPM>AllTracks list or filter, which identified GPM tracks which are not included in the MM db ... where the right click menu offers Add and Download options
Are these requests still under consideration?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Excellent, thank you Ludek :D
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Barry4679

Re: GPM integration [#15002][#14983][#15023][#14980][#14981][#14668][#14955][#14958][#14959][#14936][#14933][#14934][#15

Post by Barry4679 »

I read through the two mantis projects that you linked to ... thanks.
Re. '[ ] Download files' be renamed to something like '[ ] Download unmatched files': I agree that it should be clearer. How about:
[ ] Download new files.
"new" is ambiguous ... it could mean files not in MM5 ... or files that were not in the GPM library the last time we looked

and "download" is confusing ... your are not going to download the tracks are you? ... they are just going to be added to the MM index

suggest something like "Insert missing files into the MM database"

0015023: Ability to show to which remote locations track is stored
I suggested that because it didn't seem logical that the Properties displays listed everything about a track, except the online location(s) where it is stored ... no specific Use Case in mind, other than it was surprising that it was missing

There are a couple of Use Cases in my suggestions that do not seem covered by the two mantis projects that you have listed.

1. Fix any local tracks which you have not been able to match to my GPM track copies
  • you are going to add a "no insert" type of mode, so that I can update my MM tracks with the hidden Google track IDs
  • this is good, as it fixes the problem where unwanted duplicates are created in MM
  • but there will remain tracks that you can't match due to tag differences
  • I would need some list or filtered view so that I could identify any unmatched tracks ... so I could manually fix the tag differences, so that a rerun of the sync would result in no unlinked tracks
2. Allow for a managed adoption of GPM tracks into MM
  • I have used Google's Music Manager to upload all of my tracks to GPM
  • I have added some Google tracks to my GPM library ... these include tracks that I am auditioning, tracks that i added for some specific occasion, tracks I added for some visiting guest ... I do not want many of these added to my MM db
  • It is hard to housekeep a large GPM library ... limited visibility, no facility to create custom views ... can only be done on an individual track by track peck and hunt
  • If I add a large number tracks to MM at one time, I find that I never get fully engage with them ... I like to add tracks or albums a few at a time
  • so if I am feeling that I would like some new music to listen to, I would like MM to show a list or filtered or sorted view of all tracks that are in my GPM library, which are not currently in my MM db
  • I would like to review that list ... select a few tracks or album from the list, and MM would add just the selected tracks
Sorry if I am wasting your time by repeating these things ... you don't seem to have rejected nor accepted these requests ... and I don't want these points to be lost amongst all of the verbiage ( :oops:) in this large thread
Ludek

Re: GPM integration [#15002][#14983][#15023][#14980][#14981][#14668][#14955][#14958][#14959][#14936][#14933][#14934][#15

Post by Ludek »

Hi, thanks for feeback,
I agree that the wording still isn't clear enough, I re-opened #14983 and summarized your feedback there, see:
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 983#c51146
+ added my suggestion of wording + ability to show unmatched tracks
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

re 2124: Thanks for the GPM ExcludeNewFiles option .. I can now use MM5 sync to connect MM to the GPM version of my tracks, without polluting MM with all the extra junk in my GPM library. :D :D

I have found a few more bugs and issues, but firstly I want to return to the two remaining issues that I have reported earlier. Now that I can use sync properly these issues are more obvious, and I hope that they can be fixed.

AFAICS you have carried point one across to Mantis, but not point 2.

They are the two numbered items from this thread: viewtopic.php?p=449688#p449688

Their omission really ruins the experience somewhat.

Handling GPM tracks which MM5 can't match to MM tracks due to tag differences

I ran a GPM sync to populate my MM db with GPM links (ie. UpdateLibraryWithGPMLink=True, ExcludeNewFile=True, SyncMetadata=False)
The sync completed without error

There is no way that I can see which tracks were successfully linked, and which failed due to a match-up error.
So I have no way of fixing whatever tag mismatches caused the failures.
ie. I am fairly sure that 'Oh Pretty Woman' by Gary Moore is unmatched ... Before MM5 offered the new ExcludeNewFile option, you always created a duplicate for this track in MM. It is because when the Google Music Manager uploaded this track to my GPM library, it gave me a track named 'Oh, Pretty Woman' ... ie. a inserted comma to the track title tag. ... In EntireLibrary>AllTracks, and everywhere else in MM5, this tracks looks identical to the successfully matched tracks.

So I have a situation where MM knows the Google links for all tracks in the album, except for that one track. Meaning:
  • if I play this album from MM, with source set to GPM, the tracks is excluded
  • and I can't use this track in MM playlist to be syncd into my GPM library
I could easily fix this situation, by adjusting the tag in MM or in GPM, but MM does not alert me to this situation, but I can't see that the situation exists, so i can't fix it. ...and people will be confused by the "skipped tracks", because they will not be aware of the missing link.

Also people are unable to report match-up bugs or weaknesses, because they are invisible.

User control over which tracks to add into the MM5 database

I want to control which GPM tracks are added into my GPM library.

I would like MM to show me the list of tracks that are in my GPM library, but which are not in my MM db ... specifically GPM library tracks whose Google IDs are not stored in MM.

Whenever I feel that I would like to adopt a few more tracks from GPM, I would want to review the list of these tracks|albums, and select some for importation into the MM database.

This is not currently possible (is it?) ... ie. can open Devices&Services>GPM>AllTracks ... it shows me a list showing the contents of my GPM library, but I can't filter this the list of tracks which are not already in my MM db.

I have 44,738 tracks in my GPM library. I have 43,268 tracks in my MM5 database. .... So I have approx 1,000+ candidates for importation into MM, after ignoring the invisible mismatches from point 1 above. ... It is difficult to identify the importation candidates ... I would really like a list, to browse the list, so that i can select an album or two to add to MM .... But at the moment MM5 provides no assistance.

Apologies if this is already in Mantis. ... For me, this is a key feature of MM|GPM integration.

New items
  1. Opening Devices&Services>GPM>AllTracks is a long running task (duration (9:14 minutes on a spinning disk, or 7:36 with SSD), Internet speed 54.7Mbps, tracks 44,738) ... the Status bar message ("Reading files ...") is static for the whole of this time. ... There is a small progress ticker at the bottom of the browser pane, but the progress message is expected in the Status Bar ... the browser pane's progress ticker is unreliable ... it sometimes freezes, even though the job is still running & the little wheel is still spinning.
  • Open Devices&Services>GPM>AllTracks ... wait for dictionary download to complete ... immediately, click the toolbar's magnifying glass, and type some filter criteria ... press enter, and you are taken out of Devices&Services>GPM>AllTracks ... it seems to filter the MM db, not the library dictionary from GPM ... image below shows where focus is switched to ... the toolbar's back button returns me to the unfiltered Open Devices&Services>GPM>AllTracks display
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbq0zokei58p7 ... r.png?dl=0
  • Unable to add GPM tracks to MM, or download tracks from GPM, when Devices&Services>GPM ExcludeNewFiles=True ... is expected that this toggle affects auto & manual sync ... Does it have to also affect an explicit download or add to db request from the right click menu (AddToLibrary and Download options)? This unexpected. ... also it is dangerous if a person is required to modify and Apply their GPM connection configuration, just so that they can add some tracks to MM, because if they forget to reset the config, they next time they do a sync their MM db will be polluted with all the crud in their GPM library
  • Download from GPM ... select an album, or multi-select some tracks ... right click menu, Download ... a "Download" node opens in the MediaTree, which shows the expected track count ...but the download is truncated to just 4 tracks (once I did two requests in quick succession ... I got 2 tracks from the 1st album, and 6 from the second ... always multiples of 4) ... I don't know if it is related, but my processor has 4 cores

• No problem feedback response from AddToLibrary and Download options from right click menu ... no response if the request is rejected or if starts but fails ... there should be a obvious response from command rejection or failure (a dbox)
  • Open Devices&Services>GPM>AllTracks ... wait for dictionary download to complete ... type something to filter the view .. then use MediaTree to navigate to somewhere like EntireLibrary>AllTracks ... then press toolbar Back button to return to GPM filtered view ... we are returned, but locked into that filtered GPM view, ie. cannot remove the filter to see all of the GPM tracks
  • The time taken to open Devices&Services>GPM>AllTracks seems excessive ... it needs to repeated each time it is reopened ... As discussed offline, I have a program of my own which opens my same GPM library, not a C++ program, just Python, so not fully compiled, and not expected to be very fast ... with the same SSD it takes 2:10 minutes to download the contents dictionary from GPM, and serialise it to disk ... it takes a further 2:41 minutes to do load the serialised object into an in-memory sqlite database, and do fuzzy logic tag matching to MM and store the IDs into MM4, ie. handle multi-tagged artists etc etc ... much the same percentage match as you achieve .. so it is taking 4 minutes to download, match and store to db ... MM5 is taking 7.5 minutes just download and store to a temp db, no matching .. correct? ... Why so slow? ... is that just the overhead of your debug alpha environment?
  • Devices&Services>GPM>RemoteContentTab ExcludeNewFiles togglebox is disabled, ie. toggle off|on disabled ... I need to toggle UpdateTheLibraryWithLinks off, then back on again, to enable the ExcludeNewFiles toggle box
  • The option settings on Devices&Services>GPM>RemoteContentTab are not helpful enough .... two of the toggle boxes turn something off, but one turns something on ... this is inviting confusion, they should all either set something off, or all on ... ie. "Exclude new files" should be "Include new files" and should be defaulted on ... also there are no tool tips for "Exclude new files" and "Download new files" ... the options appear somewhat similar, and are a bit complex ... tooltip suggestions: "add any new tracks into the MM database" and "download any new tracks, and add them to the MM database"
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, re the old items:
They have been already addressed here: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 983#c51157
And the latter one has been just moved to https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 023#c51078 as suggested by Rusty and is on our TODO.
i.e. we would probably need a new node (besides the 'All tracks') under Devices & Services > GPM > ... that would show list of unmatched tracks.
Or are you seeing a better place for showing such a list? Any idea for the wording of such a node?

Re the new items:

- performance: you seem to be right, I am testing on 10000 tracks library and the first 5000 tracks are shown in 20 seconds, but it takes another 50 seconds to show all 10000 tracks, so it seems that it is getting slower and slower with the amount of the tracks being shown. I'll look into it.
Tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15129

- Open Devices&Services>GPM>AllTracks ... wait for dictionary download to complete ... immediately, click the toolbar's magnifying glass
=> yes, the magnifying glass brings entire library search, i.e. the same what Ctrl+F is doing
while contextual search (filtering) is done just by typing (i.e. no need to click the magnifying glass)

- Unable to add GPM tracks to MM, or download tracks from GPM, when Devices&Services>GPM ExcludeNewFiles=True
=> thanks for pointing this out, is fixed in 2125

- Download from GPM ... select an album, or multi-select some tracks ... right click menu, Download ... a "Download" node opens in the MediaTree, which shows the expected track count ...but the download is truncated to just 4 tracks (once I did two requests in quick succession ...
=> yes, just 4 items are downloaded at once, the others are queued, you can change this in Options|Downloads|Number of concurent downloads: [4]

- Devices&Services>GPM>RemoteContentTab ExcludeNewFiles togglebox is disabled, ie. toggle off|on disabled ... I need to toggle UpdateTheLibraryWithLinks off, then back on again, to enable the ExcludeNewFiles toggle box
=> yes, but I think that's ok, because it indicates that the ExcludeNewFiles is just sub-option of UpdateTheLibraryWithLinks , i.e. ExcludeNewFiles has any effect whenever UpdateTheLibraryWithLinks is off

- The option settings on Devices&Services>GPM>RemoteContentTab are not helpful enough .... two of the toggle boxes turn something off, but one turns something on ... this is inviting confusion
=> yes, this was what I've already suggested in https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 983#c51157 and already fixed in 2125
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:37 pm i.e. we would probably need a new node (besides the 'All tracks') under Devices & Services > GPM > ... that would show list of unmatched tracks.
Or are you seeing a better place for showing such a list? Any idea for the wording of such a node?
Thanks for asking. :)

I think that MM5 is already too modal\nodal,

I would suggest a manufactured column, such as your new "Source" column. ie. a "w-linked?" (ie. web linked) column, containing a read-only checkbox. This would allow the normal displays to be sorted or filtered as required.

The problem is that it may be a one to many situation; ie. user may use multiple web locations for a track. ... So you could offer a column, in the Choose Column dbox, for each web location that you support.

But probably better is to amend the Devices&Services panel for each service ... eg. Devices&Services>GPM
Here you offer two choices AllTracks and Playlists .... you could offer a third choice: "MediaMonkey Web Track Links"
This display would list all tracks in MM db, with a "w-linked?" column as described above.

While in there, you could put a tooltip on the AllTracks option ... something like "Build and display a TEMPORARY list of the contents of the Remote location; use to select tracks to be downloaded or added to MM"

[UPDATE] ... I just reread your proposal more carefully ... I initially thought that you were suggesting a Media Tree node ... I now see that my suggestion is pretty much what you were suggesting :oops:

Ludek wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:37 pm - Download from GPM ... select an album, or multi-select some tracks ... right click menu, Download ... a "Download" node opens in the MediaTree, which shows the expected track count ...but the download is truncated to just 4 tracks (once I did two requests in quick succession ...
=> yes, just 4 items are downloaded at once, the others are queued, you can change this in Options|Downloads|Number of concurent downloads: [4]
"queued" items do not seems to get downloaded ... I see the download node open, ... it has the expected count ... the count decreases to zero ... I see the "queued" tracks change status, and they appear to download, and the node auto-disappears ... but only 1st 4 tracks actually arrive at my custom download destination.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Re: the "Source" column and presentation of library status / remote status.
I've just added some suggestions / proposals here: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 023#c51251 to be reviewed by Rusty (and to be worked on)

Re: Download from GPM
Thanks, I see, it seems broken in recent builds. Will be fixed in the upcoming build(s).

EDIT: Actually I've found more issues with downloading during testing, tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15133
1&2) are fixed in 2125
3&4) are fixed in 2126

i.e. I would recommend to test you downloading with 2126+ (not 2125)
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Comments relate to 2126:

Speed: fixed. Opening Devices&Services>GPM>AllTracks was 9:14 minutes with a spinning disk ... is now 1:07 :D

Now that I have the AddLinksToGPMMissing option :) , I can turn it off, and better see what is going on.

Still unable to manage GPM integration in the way I want ... is this still an ongoing WIP? ... is confusing since there are so many mantis entries

Walk through of my Use Case test

ie. EntireLibrary>All Tracks shows I have 43,268 tracks transferred to MM5 from MM4
They should all be in my GPM library

Scan completes ... I get a "scan results" dbox before the scan starts ("imported 0 files") ... but no dbox at end of sync (even though Tools|Options|Library|ShowScanResultsDbox set to True) ... so I don't know whether there were errors, and have no access to any error log.

After the GPM sync, EntireLibrary>Location>GPM has only 41559 tracks, so I presume that there are 1,709 tracks that you could not match ... before the new scan option, you would have created MM duplicates for these

I could fix mismatches by re-tagging, but I cannot see which tracks are not matched. ... and I cannot analyse the mismatches so that i can suggest any further improvements.

I went to EntireLibrary>Alltracks and tried filtering by Source:
  • Is Cloud: None ??!
  • Is Cloud (download): None (as expected)
  • Is Network - says that there is only 200 (?!) files ... maybe there is a testing LIMIT clause on that SELECT statement? ... lists tracks whose artist tag is at beginning of the sort order
  • Is all_other_settings: none
Frustrating .. close, but no progress.

Open Devices&Services>GPM>AllTracks ... (did I say this was quick? :)) ... 44,733 tracks .. so, 44,733 - 44,733 = 1,465 tracks which are not in MM ... I would like to browse these, so I can add some fresh music into MM db
But I have no way to see which tracks are in GPM, but not in MM5 ... more frustration

* Devices&Services>GPM>AllTracks has no filter facility ... why?
* sort by column ... all columns have the same Source value (a "play" icon)

I filter by one artist who I know does not exist in MM db, and I select two albums, and right click Download
dump 9547583F ... Too many threads for indexing ... btw I DID NOT alter Tools|Options|Downloads|NumberOfConcurrent from 4

try again with fewer tracks, 10 tracks instead of 47 this time.
does not dump, but it is not working as expected ... Devices&Services>GPM ... download tracks using right click menu .. tracks seem to be initially downloaded to my custom location ok, but you them move them to the default location when you are putting tracks into artist/album folders ... 4 tracks always seem to be left behind in the custom location for each album, and there is no copy of those tracks with the rest of the album
Also the dbox "file x:\xxxx\xxxxx already exists, Replace?" has a "Yes To All" button ... the button seems to have the same effect as the "Yes" button, so has to be pressed multiple times. ... it points to the default download location, not my custom download location.

try again ... 2 more albums in this batch ... same thing
So I have now downloaded three albums in total

EntireLibrary>All tracks.. I can now see info about the downloaded files, still nothing about the other linked files.... I filtered by Source ... it is a mess:
  • Is Cloud: 20 tracks from 3 albums: path for all is a Google url ... Source = a "play" symbol
  • Is Cloud (downloaded): 8 tracks from 2 albums: path is my custom download location ... source icon is a symbol suggesting download
  • Is Local: 20 tracks from 3 albums: path is C drive, my profiles Music\Downbloads folder ... icon looks like a speaker grill
  • Is Network: still 200 files
I check my hard drive:
  • Music/Downloads in my profile: has setup an artist/album folder hierarchy ... 3 albums, 20 tracks ... no tags in any of the tracks
  • my custom location: flat folder structure, ie. no artist/album structure ... 12 tracks ... 4 from each of the 3 albums ... all tracks have tags
Other items:

Why is there a config setting for download location at Tools|Options|Downloads|DefaultDLLocation, and a different one at Devices&Services>GPM SaveDownLoadsTo ? ... different purposes? .. they show different values ... having two settings is confusing
In the above test I customised only the Devices&Services>GPM SaveDownLoadsTo setting

Devices&Services>GPM .. SaveDownloadsTo ... browse to a custom location, and press OK (ie. don't exit with Cancel) ... but selection is not stored unless you also press the APPLY button on the main screen ... no protection if I continue forward to the AllTracks button, without press the Apply button (which doesn't exist on the alternate route btw; ie. File|AddScan) ... same problem if I navigate away using the Media tree ... the browse dbox had "OK" and "Cancel" options, and I specifically pressed OK ... so you should warn if you are about to destroy uncommitted change ... The browse dbox should commit its own changes IMO

at Devices&Services>GPM RemoteContent tab ... first time through, when it has default settings .. both "On SyncUpdateLibraryWithLinks" and ... '"add links to GPM for Missing Content" are defaulted on ... unable to deselect "add links to GPM for Missing Content" ... I have to deselect "On SyncUpdateLibraryWithLinks" ... AND THEN SELECT IT AGAIN, before I can deselect "add links to GPM for Missing Content" ... I tried to report this before, but I think that you misunderstood.

Add/RescanFilesToLibrary "Look up track information (Registered users only)". ... should this (also) be on the Devices&Services>GPM panel? ... does it do anything that the Devices&Services>GPM controls don't also do?

The tool tips still do not seem as good as they could be IMO ... you guys are thinking and working with sync all day long ... I don't think that the tool tips are as clear as you think that they are.

If you are updating the MM db, which not say so explicitly? ... it is important to a MM user, and you are not explicit .. "the library" is ambiguous ... if you are doing something to the MM db you need to be explicit IMO about what gets updated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qnodmdzomtl8j ... 1.png?dl=0

It doesn't add "links"... it add tracks to the MM db ... and which "library?" do you mean .. suggest something like "Add, into the MM database, any tracks not already there ... and link them to the track copies at GPM"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mec9r3pc4a38k ... 2.png?dl=0

It doesn't just download the tracks, it also adds them into MM .. "Download from GPM a copy of any tracks not already known to MM, and also include them into the MM db" ... you also store the links to GPM? If yes, you should say so.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sz7eenwumr6us ... 3.png?dl=0

sync with which library? ... this on a panel for syncing GPM => MM ... so this updates MM with GPM tags??! ... if so it should definitely be defaulted off IMO. ... if the direction is from MM => GPM, why is this setting on this tab?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Re: the performance: thanks for confirmation! ;-)

Re: the usecase of showing unmatched tracks:
This has been just implemented for the upcoming build 2127, details here https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 023#c51287 , it is still being worked on though (especially the showing multiple locations in the Properties dialog is still TODO)

Re: downloading issues, thx, added as items 5,6 here:
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 133#c51250

Re: wording issues:
Re-opened for evaluation: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 983#c51214
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:35 am Re: the usecase of showing unmatched tracks:
This has been just implemented for the upcoming build 2127
Good, am looking forward to that.

What you had going in 2126 was a source filter for "Source is Cloud" ... I have just noticed that you do not offer the negative for this filter, ie. "Source is NOT Cloud" ... I would need the negative to identify unmatched tracks ... you can do this?
Ludek wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:35 am the showing multiple locations in the Properties dialog is still TODO
I wonder if anyone will use it? ... maybe people who take advantage of just the free web storage allowances, ie. they would get 20+ gb, at no cost, if they enrolled for each of the services that you support. ... and MM will stitch them all together nicely, ... I think ... I haven't got that far with testing yet.

I still think that the best way to handle multiple web locations is to create a series of optional columns like "GPM linked" and "One drive linked", etc ... so the "Source" column would just reflect whether there was a link to at least one web location ... and the user could display the columns for, or filter upon, just the services they used.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

ok, btw a tip:
you can filter the view in Devices&Services > GPM > All Tracks by source using the Column Browser like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncbqrn9005ie1 ... 0.png?dl=0
which can supply the filter 'funnel' feature that is missing there (as you have noticed)