Switching From MediaMonkey 4 To 5

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

ebenezer

Switching From MediaMonkey 4 To 5 [#15398]

Post by ebenezer »

The destination computer has no MM on it before installing MM5, just the folder containing the music files and the folder containing the MM data base. I will try modifying the .INI file. I recall I also had to move the .INI folder to make it work for all users. Is that still the same ?

I will try out some of the other suggestions.
ebenezer

Re: Switching From MediaMonkey 4 To 5

Post by ebenezer »

I reinstalled MM. When it starts for the first time, it starts with asking for file locations. When I installed MM the first time, I think I just hit Next. If I add a location for drive F; it finds and scans the files. BUT The log file contains several messages that it did not import .FLV files or .VOB files. It has also decided that some files are too short to bother importing. This is exactly what I was afraid of in my previous post!

There are no log file messages about any files skipped because they were not audio or video (.TXT, .JPG, etc)

If I go into Tools > Options > Library > Set Formats for video files, the check boxes beside .FLV and .VOB files are both unchecked. I'm guessing that if I check those boxes and do a new scan, it will keep the .FLV and .VOB files. How is a new user supposed to know this when doing their first install of
MM 5 ???

To avoid a lot of grief, I would look at creating a second type of add / rescan. Option 1 would be the default. Let's call it "confirmation mode". When the scan finds a media file it doesn't like, MM would display a message box saying why and give the user a choice to Add or Ignore the file. Also append the user's choice made to the line in the .LOG file. Option 2 would be the "advanced" or "automatic" mode. MM would use the settings under Options to make the decision (just like it does now). Make sure there is a warning about using automatic mode.

Computers are supposed to make things easier, not harder.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

ebenezer

Post by ebenezer »

I just tried posting this but it seem to have got lost.

I installed 2152. It says it imported 2818 files. Thats a few LESS than before (2836). The
log file still contains messages that it skipped .FLV and .VOB files. It also skipped at
least two .WAV files it says are too short. When viewing the error log window, it needs
up and down arrows in the side bar to allow smooth scrolling. With a large log file,
trying to smoothly navigate up and down using the button only is almost impossible.
Because of that I didn't look through the whole file. The too short errors were right at
the top. The .FLV and .VOB errors were right at the bottom.

The numbers in the Scan Results are interesting statistics but they don't really tell me
how MM got those numbers. The log file needs to show every file, with any file extension,
and what MM did with it. Statistics at the end of the log file with counts for folders and
files read with subtotals for the main file types would be a much better confirmation that
all files were processed.

After the scan, the hard drive light is flashing away for a good 5-10 minutes. What is it
doing ?

When I start MM 5, and right click a song --> play, I get a blue or gray bar at the top of
the screen. It's just like the blue bar at the top of many Windows apps. It shows the
artist and song name. It's right over top the orange MM bar. If I use the right click to
play additional songs, it goes away after the first song.

The player bar is HUGE ! On my 32" TV the bar is 1 7/8" tall ! Down size please. About
1/4 of the current size. Fortunately, if I am watching a video full screen, it goes away
after a few seconds. If I shrink the player back to one pane, it leaves the "big honkin"
player bar right over the bottom of my main pane. It never goes away. Please make it a
small bar in the player panel only.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Default extensions for import, so it will import also FLV and VOB, is fixed and will be included in the next version (it will be related to clean installations only, where extensions to scan are not set in INI file yet).

Statistics at the end - we will consider your suggestion, thanks. Current statistics is based on similar statistics used in MM4 for years.

Too short files - it is adjustable in Options - Library - Ignore files shorter than... (default is 20kB).

After the scan it typically goes through video files and generates thumbnails (if switched on in Options - Library). You should see progress icon in the top right corner during background actions and after hovering or clicking it, you can see more detailed info, what is going on.

Blue or gray bar at the top - could you make screenshot? I am not sure, what you are talking about, I do not have any such thing here.

The design of the player bar depends on skin, you can try different skin. There will be more skins in the future. But 1/4 of the height is way too much for any current skin, could you make screenshot of this? I have the player bar a lot lower.
ebenezer

Post by ebenezer »

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I couldn't find any way to attach a file to a post. What is your email.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
you can use tutorial at my signature to attach image.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
pterodactil.rex

Post by pterodactil.rex »

I fully agree with above posts. We need a much better report on what MM is doing when it is scanning a large number of assorted files. There should also be a "Properties" or "Analyze" function that will tell me how many files are in the library, what types, etc.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

The logging will be improved in the build 2155+

There will be another column saying the reason why the file wasn't scanned. So far it was part of the single column so the problem was hidden for long filenames.
Just ensure that you have '[x] Show scan results dialog' enabled in Options.
And then click [Show log] button on that dialog.
Brian Siano

Post by Brian Siano »

Let me add my vote in favor of logging the failed imports. I've been scanning my CDs into a library using EAC, and sometimes, EAC doesn't give the files filenames that work well under Windows-- sometimes they are just too long, or they put a period in the filename and MM doesn't recognize the file extension.

I worked out a method for finding the problem files-- it involved creating a list of all the files in a DOS window, and comparing that list to a MM database dump. Out of several thousand files, MM couldn't import ten of them because their filenames had problems. Some were too long, others had periods that screwed up the "file extension."

An error log after an import would be a huge help.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

The error log is already there in MM5 (as I wrote above).

Also, MM5 is capable to read the overly long filenames (unlike MM4),
so I suppose that it already works fine for you with build MM 5.0.2158 ?
Or are you still seeing an issues with 2158+ ?
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

I have a new PC. First I installed MM4. The MM.DB and the .ini file are on a network drive so I referred MM4 to these files.
This works fine.

Now I also want to install MM5. Unfortunately, MM5 doesn't "see" my MM4 library.
I've tried to install it a few times, but MM5 simply starts from fresh.

Any ideas what goes wrong?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you tell MediaMonkey 5 to use the database file on the network: http://oldsvr.mediamonkey.com/support/i ... e-location
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

I would have, if I was asked. But this simply didn't happen. MM5 just starts without asking about the library.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you install it on top of MediaMonkey 4 and/or as Portable Install?