"preparing" notification after each reboot (library scan) [#15831]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey for Android and learn about the newest beta build.

Moderator: Gurus

tbm72

Re: "preparing" notification after each reboot (library scan)

Post by tbm72 »

I've got around 24,000 tracks on the card so I guess that makes sense. I think my battery stats said mm had been active for about 1.5hrs and used 8%. Hadn't been playing anything, just scanning.
lkraus

Stop folder scan on device restart?

Post by lkraus »

Recently, I notice that every time I restart my phone, MMA (v 1.3.4.0854) runs a background task scanning folders to the library. Since the task runs for quite a long time (45 minutes+) and the phone gets very warm, I can only assume that this is using a lot of my battery charge. I have quite a bit of music and audio books stored, but I only change the contents every six months or so.

Is there a way to stop this automatic scan and only scan the folders manually after I make changes?
tbm72

Re: Stop folder scan on device restart?

Post by tbm72 »

lkraus wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:55 am Recently, I notice that every time I restart my phone, MMA (v 1.3.4.0854) runs a background task scanning folders to the library. Since the task runs for quite a long time (45 minutes+) and the phone gets very warm, I can only assume that this is using a lot of my battery charge. I have quite a bit of music and audio books stored, but I only change the contents every six months or so.

Is there a way to stop this automatic scan and only scan the folders manually after I make changes?
+1
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

So with a new 256GB (Class 10) SD card it was taking well over an hour and a half every time I reboot my phone to scan my entire library in (approx 24,000 tracks/147GB). It makes my phone overheat and really chews up the battery so I decided to go back to my old 64GB SD Card and just sync a smaller amount of tracks (about 4,000). But that still takes over an hour each time the phone is rebooted.

So this morning I've tried deleting them all from my phone and just syncing a tiny amount (60 tracks) but it's now been over 10 mins and my phone still says "Mediamonkey - Background task - preparing".

Any suggestions? I've tried looking for apps that disable the Android media scanner (can't find any). My only other option seems to be going back to using my iPod/MM and just not use MM on Android.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
"Mediamonkey - Background task - preparing" usually means "Google Scanner not finished and released SDCard for reading".

Today I tested on 128GB SDcard in Moto X4 and copied 9k+ of tracks. After I inserted SDCard in Phone it Took 57minutes to Scan and init SDcard before MMA could use it on Restart unless I synced tracks to it or SDCard access was actine on Reboot it took <3 minutes to init SDCard and if SDcards was in Write (Read?) at the moment of reboot it took 55-57 minutes to make SDcard Accessible to MMA and to other File Managers.

Now I repeated same step without MMA installed and got same results. Using ES file Explorer (not sure if it is back on store) I played one track from SDCard at time of Reboot -> 57 Minutes preparing till ES file Could play it again. if I kill ES rask before reboot then <5 minutes took to Prepare SDCard.

I am not sure what to say, but from what I have observed in the past it was always like that, I guess Google scanner reindex all files and in case of lots of media files it reindex their tags also that means reading all 9k+ tracks and then time that it takes to do that is reasonable.

Can you please do a small test to see what MMA get from OS and what the responses are:
1. Reboot phone
2. Start MMA
3. If it reports Background preparing Send Debug Log (write log ID here)
4. Wait till it is done
5. Send Debug Log (write log ID here)
6. Close MMA
7. Kill MMA process if any in app history
8. Start MMA
9. Wait till it is done
10. Send Debug Log (write log ID here)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Thanks for your help Pavle. Well I don't know why but there's been a bit of improvement.

I wiped all tracks off my SD card again and started to sync a few playlists at a time. At the moment I've synced just over 4,000 tracks and on each reboot it takes about 10 mins before the "Mediamonkey - Background task - preparing" message disappears.

Nothing is really any different than before re: my phone hardware or setup. Maybe switching SD cards from 256 to 64 then back again has helped somehow. I guess I'll slowly add tracks and see if things remain manageable. I can live with a 10 min delay after startup but if it goes back to being over an hour and a half I'll probably just go back to the iPod!
ReneMo

Post by ReneMo »

Same problem here.
Debug log N6M76R2GYI
This one ist generated after reboot.
ReneMo

Post by ReneMo »

Log for scanning folders to the library
H17EC7YCLH
ReneMo

Post by ReneMo »

Still scanning.
Log id YNDEQ4YTRB
ReneMo

Post by ReneMo »

Scanning done now
Log id J8X8PB4ATA
ReneMo

Post by ReneMo »

After killing apps
No longer scan issued.
Logid LTS6ZUHHZG
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Almost 2h to finish.

Hope logs will show more added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15831
Best regards,
Peke
RsneMo

Re: "preparing" notification after each reboot (library scan) [#15831]

Post by RsneMo »

BTW.
I just made a reboot with my other Android Device, a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3.
Scanning as well for a long time.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

The new 'check/postpone' feature in the latest update is perfect and seems to fix this whole issue.

Great when devs respond to users, thank you! :D
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thank You.

Can you also confirm that it asks for Check on devices that only have Internal Storage?

I personally think that on device reboot Internal Storage mounting should be postponed each time. Thoughts?
Best regards,
Peke