Tagging still not working

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

willyvds

Tagging still not working

Post by willyvds »

I use the tagging feature to find the correct long titles for classical music.
This is not working correctly in MM5.

For example, I have a cd with 74 tracks. MM does find the correct album art for all tracks and 4 of the 74 track titles.

But there are 2 problems.

First of all, this is a disappointing result. I would like the track titles for all (or most of the) tracks.
I do not understand why MM would find the album art and 4 titles correctly, but misses the other 70. Can I influence this in some way?
Does MM not use the track number? If so: why not?

Secondly, after the search MM replaces correct information which I put there manually (date, artist, composer) by blank/meaningless values.
This happens also if I only select the 4 correct tracks to be updated or even when I cancel the update.
This should never happen, regardless of the found track data.
Peke

Re: Tagging still not working

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please supply screenshots, I am not sure what you are talking, there is possibility that multiple results were found?

Can you please supply bit more details so that we can create baseline.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

This is a cd with 74 tracks. All songs have as title: untitled<track no>.
The album is J.S. Bach: Markus Passion BWV 247 (1744), and the artis is Jordi Savall and other.

I want to find the correct, full titles for each track.
MM only found a couple of titles (e.g. track 3).I selected only these tracks to be updated.

You can see the result in the screenshot.
- many titles were changed to "utwór<track no>" (this is Polish for unknown)
- the composer was changed to blank
- the artist was changed to something Polish as well.

So 2 problems as I said
- most titles are not found, which is a pity
- information is changed without permission, which should never happen.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Still no Image, have you tried to add CD into Library and then change the info/search?
Best regards,
Peke
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

I don't know how to add a screenshot. I tried your suggestions but this is not working.

I did add the cd to the library, it is the tagging that goes wrong.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Not all CDs can be found on Internet, in some cases you need to correct info. Especially on bit more specific CDs.

Well with exception of paid tagging services like Gracenote CDDB, iTunes, .... that are very limited and usually require apps that use their services not use any other service and in many cases users need to pay additional subscriptions.

MMW is based on free services which are commonly community based and info is based on manual user inputs, so errors happen.
Best regards,
Peke
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

Thanks for the reply.
I accept of course that MM sometimes doesn't find an album. I'm just surprised that it does find 4 tracks, and not the rest of the album.

But: MM shouldn't update fields if it is instructed explicitely not to do so. That is my main point.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

willyvds wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:41 am I accept of course that MM sometimes doesn't find an album. I'm just surprised that it does find 4 tracks, and not the rest of the album.
Doesn't seem good does it?

I use dBpoweramp for ripping. I have not tried the MM ripper, because I was already using the other app, and it is excellent, so I have no reason to switch.

dBpoweramp looks at 4 online databases, and defaults to the consensus view, but also shows you what else it finds, just in case you want to override the default.
It uses musicbrainz, freedb, Discogs and GD3 ... I think that there is a 400 track limit for a single batch sent to GD3.

Maybe there is a free or trial version of dBpoweramp, and you could report whether MM5 is doing all that it could?

willyvds wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:41 am But: MM shouldn't update fields if it is instructed explicitely not to do so. That is my main point.
Yes. Presumably that issue will be picked up once the Developers get done with their weekend.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I am still confused about which tagging are you talking?

Are you ripping a CD and thus getting info from freedb.org (CDDB) before rip -- or you have already tracks in library (not ripped by you) for which you want to use the auto-tag feature? i.e. right-click > Auto-tag -- (from sources like musicbrainz; amazon) ??
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

Indeed, I have tracks already in the library and I want to find the titles and other data using autotag.

MM does find 4 tracks, but not the rest of the album. However, some of the remaining tracks are changed and other are left untouched.
So: I am disappointed that only 4 tracks are found but I really disagree that MM changes the data for the tracks that were not found.

I'm happy to provide a screenshot and/or the tracks as example (if you tell me how to do that…).
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Can you send me that album (petr <att> mediamonkey <dott> com) ?
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

willyvds wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:57 pm I'm happy to provide a screenshot and/or the tracks as example (if you tell me how to do that…).
Attaching images to forum posts is broken ... they should fix it.

See Peke's sig for a workaround:
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
willyvds

Post by willyvds »

Petr I gave you access to the Dropbox share were the album is. It is too large to send it to yoy.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Barry4679 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:10 am Attaching images to forum posts is broken ... they should fix it.
DEV Note: Disabled.
Best regards,
Peke
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

In this case I believe Savall's version of Markus Passion is not in freedb. It is not in musicbrainz, either, though it is in discogs. One of the problems with this particular composition is that there is no "Markus Passion" in that there is now no available score (if there ever was). Saval - using Grychtolik's work - created his own version of the music and so it is unlike any other recorded version. None of the other versions I am aware of have 74 tracks, for example; but freedb might have found 4 tracks among the 74 that match close enough to tracks in some other version to tag them.