MM5 sync phone has got a lot of problems [#15882]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

MM5 sync phone has got a lot of problems [#15882]

Post by Barry4679 »

MM5 sync to phone has got a lot of problems:
  • a dump
  • froze multiple times ... get a little further each time I restarted MM and the sync
  • falsely reported that I had insufficient space
  • did housekeeping (deleted unwanted tracks) after (?!) it had tried to sync in my new tracks
  • provided unclear useless warning option message re track deletions
  • didn't tell me, before starting the sync, how much space would required for my sync attempt

Steps:
I tried syncing 1,005 tracks to my mobile (Pixel 2XL) ... MM5 didn't tell me how much phone space would be required for my sync task

It ran for a while ... copied a few tracks to my phone ... and then crashed with 9547F68B ... MM5 frozen ... log dispatched to you OK

I ended MM5 with Windows Task manager

Reran sync ... it got further. but this time froze at track 303/1005 ... it didn't offer to send you a log.

Started it again ... this time it got to track 618/1005 before freezing

Started it again with debug running ... it got to just over track 900/1005 before white screening ... debug log emailed to Ludek

Start it again ... got this out of space dbox .... checked my phone, it reports that it still has 24gb free space?

nb. the dbox message is really bad "Would you like to clear enough space by deleting existing files"? ... ??! which files would you delete?! ... I am a long way through a sync attempt ... What are you offering to delete? ... All of the them? ... or, I could chose what gets deleted? ... this option dbox need to be specific, it is just adds to my problem at the moment.

btw I have these housekeeping options checked .... when I started the sync, all you offered to delete was some playlists ... but I know that there was a stack of "unselected Library file" tracks that are on my phone, which I have not selected during the current sync attempt ... why didn't you offer to delete those when you deleted the playlists? ... [UPDATE] it looks like you do the deletions *after* the sync ... not very useful if space is tight is it?

Also I had about 45gb free space on the phone when I started ... why didn't you check free space before starting? ... you didn't even tell me how space these 1,005 tracks were going to require ... you did in MM4 didn't you?

I replied to NO to the above delete? option dbox, because I could not predict what you would do

I am a bit confused what happened next ... I was getting frustrated by this time... I think that it was like this:
  • I had selected specific Albums for this sync run ... but when I looked at this list, it looked like some albumartists may have been also checked
  • I tried to remove the check for any albumartists which may have been checked ... this caused MM5 to freeze again
  • I restarted MM and made sure that there was no albumartist checked, and ran the sync again ... am not sure, but I think I got the out of space message again, and I replied No again
  • The sync then ran again, and this time it completed OK ... ??! ... all 1005 tracks appears to be copied OK after about 5 attempts, and MM5 now reports that my still has 22.1gb free .. ?
I have sent Ludek a 2nd debug file which covered most or all of the bit I am confused about. I sent it just in case it is useful.
Last edited by Barry4679 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Re: 2185 - MM5 sync phone has got a lot of problems

Post by Ludek »

Thanks, I am checking the logs, the 9547F68B is the "Too many threads for indexing (do all threads have finalization??) " again that is happening on your system for some reason.

I will also check the logs re the false report of the insufficient space
it looks like you do the deletions *after* the sync ... not very useful if space is tight is it?
No, the deletions are done _prior_ to sync. It would be silly if it would be done after ;-)
Barry4679

Re: 2185 - MM5 sync phone has got a lot of problems

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:31 am No, the deletions are done _prior_ to sync. It would be silly if it would be done after ;-)
That is what I thought :)

I tried another sync to phone ... this time it handled deletions before doing the sync.

The last time it only deleted playlists. but not the unchecked tracks.

Maybe the problem is this:
  • Before my earlier test I had done an earlier sync to my phone using MM5 several versions ago
  • For the test I did a clean install of MM5, with a new database import from MM4 ... ie. it now doesn't know about the 1st sync
  • I did a sync ... with the deletion option checked as shown in my 1st post ... there was a lot of change to what I wanted on my phone ... ie. a lot of tracks to be deleted, and a lot of new tracks coming in
  • from what I saw, it only offered to delete playlists, and it started adding the new tracks, and ran out of space
Maybe you don't do a good enough job in this situation, ie. for the 1st sync to a phone, where the user has previously used something else to sync to their phone? ... or they use MM for syncing, and occasionally also use some other tool, or do manual copies?

btw: today's rerun of sync to my phone also froze after 353 tracks

You didn't mention my comment about the crappy message on that "out of space" option dbox ... it isn't good enough IMO.

A couple of other problems I noticed today regarding the MM5 phone sync facility:
  • the "hide unselected items" check box facility only works if you have a node open, ie. it is ignored if you open a node when the option has already been checked
  • the check boxes are inconsistent ... I selected some albums ... ie. I did not select any artists, etc ... just albums ... I pressed the Apply button ... the next time it came back to >D&S>phone sync facility, it looks like I have made selections at the Artist and the AlbumArtist level ... but I didn't .... I know that the albums that I selected. do have have artists and albumartists, but they also have genres and rating and composers ... you don't make it look like I also chose selections there ... it is confusing, because say I want to de-select an album, this makes it look like I have separately go and de-select the associated artists and albumartist also
  • you are not reporting available disk space on my phone correctly ... ie. at at the end of the sync you show this (ie. no available space) ... but my phone reports 23gb free .... you do show free space if I disconnect, and the reconnect, my phone ... but your calculation is still wrong you see 37.3gb free, but Android sees just 23.18gb free
  • there is an intermittent bug: if make some selections in a node .... Press Apply ... and then navigate to some other Media Tree node ... when I come back to >D&S>Pixel2XL, it appears that you have have lost all of the selections that I applied :cry: ... but if I toggle off|on "Hide un-selected items". Apply, go somewhere else on the Media Tree, and then return you then display all my prior selections correctly ... I have seen it twice now, but have exhausted patience trying to see exactly what steps trigger it ... it is something to do with the "Hide un-selected items" option I think
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Barry4679

Re: 2188<->2185 - MM5 sync phone has got a lot of problems

Post by Barry4679 »

some further issues and comments ... additional to those in the above post, which are still relevant in the 2188 relaese

#1. The UI is confusing regarding playlist sync ... on the "Auto-Sync (->Device)" tab, at D&S>myPhone, there is a check box where I can control whether I want to sync playlists ... there is another checkbox on the Playlists sub-tab of the the "Options" tab at D&S>myPhone (ie. somewhat hidden)

These two check boxes seem to be in conflict, don't they? .... the later (hidden) one overrides the former (more obvious) one

IMO the "Sync playlists (recommend)" checkbox should be on the "Auto-Sync (->Device)" tab, which is where I control what will be sync'd to my device. It is unexpected that this would be controlled from two different places.

#2. It would useful if there was an Entire Library node in the "Auto-Sync (->Device)" tab. ... if I select tracks|album from multiple nodes|collections, it would be helpful to have a node which would show all things that I am planning to sync ... at the moment I have to visit each node, and build my own mental combined picture

#3. How do I get started using this sync to device feature?
  • I have pointed you to the \Music\ directory on my phone
  • that location already contains tracks (put there by some earlier version of MM5, or by MM4, or by some other tool, or by drag&drop)
  • those tracks are in my MM5 database
  • you have scanned my phone
So if I configure telling you to delete "unselected library files", like this, how come you don't delete, from the phone location, any existing tracks that I have not selected for the current scan run?

How do I initialise so I can start using MM5 device sync?

And what does the "delete all other media files" do? ... do you really think that anyone would check that without a tool tip explaining the exact scope of your deletion action? ... ie. are all the photos in my phone safe? etc etc ... I trust you, but not that much :D

#4. Tooltips

MM5 has about 5% of the tooltips that are required. ... is that why it is called MM5? :wink:
Somebody got started providing tooltips for the Summary tab of D&S>MyPhone ... but then seemed to get tired, and gave up ... there is nothing on any of the other tabs.

Device sync is an impressive powerful and complex tool, which is capable of updating and deleting customers' data. You are not doing enough to explain the tool, nor to protect your customers' data IMO

Specifically:
  • and this?, sounds painful, what does it do?
  • what do these mean, what are they useful for?
  • what do these mean, when|why should I use them?
  • exactly what will be deleted here
    #5. Requires MediaMonkey for Android

Is this true? ... In what way? ... once the files are transfered to the devive, they could be played by any music client, ie. not just MMA
    Barry4679

Re: 2191<->2185 - MM5 sync phone has got a lot of problems

Post by Barry4679 »

Can you please advise the status of this area of MM5

I opened this thread a month ago, and have also posted a couple of updates, but see no confirmation of issues discussed, nor any answers to questions to enable me to test this area productively.

Is this area ready for test yet? ... there is a lot that is broken ... should I wait for you to advise that it is ready?

I tested today with version 2191 ... the previous things still seem broken or unexplained

I noticed new issues. There is not much point describing them in detail if you don't respond ... even if it is just to say that you are busy ATM, and that I should stop testing for a while.

Briefly:

#1. D&S>device>Folders>Music ... I have sync'd some tracks to my phone with MM5 ... the list shown at this node displays no tags other than title, filename & path ... ie. album (and others) are empty (expected?) ... so the List By Album View has no value here ... it just creates confusion
    #2. D&S>device>Folders>Music ... I tried deleting folders ... I was trying to clean up my phone, so that i can start testing phone sync cleanly ... ie. you had not answered my earlier question, and I was trying to move forward .... MM5 appears to remove the folders ... but when I look inside the phone they were not deleted ... you should raise an error if you are unable to delete
    #3. a crash while in this area .... MM5 unable to send you the logs ... I PM'd Ludek with two of the crash dumps that could not be sent
    #4 D&S>device> .... The Sync Now button does not check for any un-Applied changes ... you check for unapplied changes if I try to switch to another Media Tree node ... you should do the same if I try and push the Sync Now button .... ATM you run the sync w/o the changes and then icons are missing on the Summary panel ... this is very confusing
    #5 The UI has frozen a few times ... I think that this dbox may be opening off-screen, or lower down in the z-order sometimes?
    #6 D&S>device>Folders .... there is a problem when the window is resized ... the top panel is not refreshed properly ... see here, I have scrolled a little so that you can see that I only have 8 albums ... the horizontal scroll only scrolls to show empty space ... but if I toggle the "display folder content recursively", you can see that there are two other albums, that were hidden due to a refresh problem
    #7 The "display folder content recursively" toggle does not remove the column headings when the columns cells are toggled away from view
    Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi Barry,
    as for the original dumps with "Too many threads for indexing" -- I believe that these have been already fixed.

As for your new dump 8934A44E -- I don't see it here and I also don't see a PM from you.

As for the missing tooltips and clearness issues -- I added most of the missing tooltips (that were in MM4 and are missing in MM5) on friday -- so they will be in 2192+

As for the https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6fzch0lcuvo5 ... n.png?dl=0 being in conflict.
    As you can see on the "Auto-sync (--> Device)" page there is "Choose files to keep synced:" -- so you are selecting content/files to be synced -- not the playlists.
    By selecting '[x] Sync playlists' and the playlist format below (like M3U) you are telling MM5 that you wish to sync/create also the playlists files.
    This has always worked this way in MM4 (and I haven't noticed that anyone would ever complaint about this not to be clear enough, but maybe I am wrong?).

As fr the "Reset settings" -- you have already raised this in the past several times, therefore we added the small explanation text "Device profiles contain default settings that allow a device or storage location to sync correctly. They don't include user-settings such as which content will sync."
    So I guess that it is clear enough what the reset settings does?

As for the "not enough space" issues -- I could not replicate, but I added (on Friday) further explanation text to the dialog -- especially values to inform about how many space is needed/available/to be freed -- this will be in the build 2192+

As for the album being checked both under 'albums' and 'albums artists' node -- I agree that this may be confusing -- I have it on my todo, but not a very high priority ATM.

As for your today's report about issues with "D&S>device>Folders>Music" -- going to check and look into it today.

As for the 'Sync Now' button does not check for any un-Applied changes => will be fixed in 2192+

So to summarize: Wait for 2192 to test this again, but send me the dump 8934A44E
    Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:51 am As for your new dump 8934A44E -- I don't see it here and I also don't see a PM from you.
    I did compose a PM. I believe that I sent it, but isn't in my Out, Sent or Draft box ... so maybe something went wrong at my end.

Sent now.

Will work though your other comments in the morning. ... I had never used MM, or any other tool, to sync to device until MM5 ... so my confusion will match any other user new to this feature ... I will review the tool tips ... I know that it is not your area, but I think that it matters. The MM sync feature is very comprehensive, and needs good clear instructions IMO.

Thanks for the update.
    Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks for the PM, these dumps will be fixed in 2192
    #1. D&S>device>Folders>Music ... I have sync'd some tracks to my phone with MM5 ... the list shown at this node displays no tags other than title, filename & path ... ie. album (and others) are empty (expected?) ... so the List By Album View has no value here ... it just creates confusion
    I've just tested and the metadata like album/artist are shown fine for me there ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzsw59aakx3dk ... 1.png?dl=0 )
    I tested on LG-G6 (I don't have Pixel), but it is also Android device connected via MTP so the results should be the same.
    Could you please try whether MM4 shows the metadata for the Pixel>Folders>Music (before I add further debug messages to MM5)?

#2. D&S>device>Folders>Music ... I tried deleting folders ... I was trying to clean up my phone, so that i can start testing phone sync cleanly ... ie. you had not answered my earlier question, and I was trying to move forward .... MM5 appears to remove the folders ... but when I look inside the phone they were not deleted ... you should raise an error if you are unable to delete
    Thx, I can confirm that deleting the folder silently fails. I was testing deleting via D&S>device>Music previously and I've missed the problem with Folders.
    To be fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15875

#3 and #4 are fixed in 2192

#5 is not reproducible here, if you can still replicate then send a debug log to Petr (he is author of MM5 windows management)

#6 also not able to replicate -- does this always occurs or is it random / timing issue?

#7 -- Yes, column headings are there even if there are no files in the folder (similarly like in an empty playlist), this is known issue for us, we could show something like "No files" instead of the heading, probably rather 5.1 item though
    Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:13 pm
    I've just tested and the metadata like album/artist are shown fine for me there ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzsw59aakx3dk ... 1.png?dl=0 )
    I tested on LG-G6 (I don't have Pixel), but it is also Android device connected via MTP so the results should be the same.
    Could you please try whether MM4 shows the metadata for the Pixel>Folders>Music (before I add further debug messages to MM5)?
    You mean try a sync to my phone using MM4? ... or look at my phone's folder structure using MM4?

I did both.

This is what MM4 shows for for the track which was sync'd to phone using MM5.

ps ... just in case I have confused you ... the tracks look ok ... ie. all expected tags are there ... it is just the folder view that is affected ... and the problem is that you have implemented the List By Album view here ... and it sees just a single "album", with a blank title ... which is confusing.

Trying to sync to my phone using MM4, was interesting ... Firstly, the folder view of the track looked as above

But the MM4 sync crashed as it was completing the device sync... I got an sql error, and then MM4 abended
    Obviously my MM4 db does have a Albums table ... the sql call is truncated, so I can't see the error ... but it is not a missing Albums table

In an earlier post you suggested that your MM4 device sync tool tips were OK, because you had no prior complaint ... If MM4 has a basic sql error during device sync, are you sure that many people have used this function seriously in MM4?

Ludek wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:13 pm #6 also not able to replicate -- does this always occurs or is it random / timing issue?

This kind of bug happens quite often for me when I stress MM5. ... I haven't been able to find what happens to trigger the condition yet. ... Once it happens, it is persistent until I do something like max|min the screen size.

here I have folder view in "collapse albums" mode ... the album has 13 tracks ... I expand the album, but I can only see 5 tracks ... I change to other albums ... they are all truncated to just 5 tracks in the folders view

While this was happening, I tried to expand the window size ... the panel contents were not adjusting to the new dimensions.

Earlier today I resized a window vertically by dragging the bottom edge. The newly revealed section at the bottom remained transparent ... ie. I could see the frame at the expected new size, but I could see my through to my desktop for the bottom part of the MM5 window. ... I didn't think to record an image for you ... I maximised the window, and issue resolved itself

New items

#8. There is no indication if the phone goes offline for some reason ... the UI is left in a confusing state ... the folders disappear, but the currently displayed tracks remain you can navigate elsewhere, but you can sort filter etc ... but you can't navigate to other folders ... and it is confusing if you didn't notice that the phone has become disconnected ... the MM UI gives no warning or notification

#9. would it be possible to provide filter which showed only root folders, and file types, which are configured in the Options|FileLocations tab at D&S>device?

There are many folders in my phone ... you don't sort them alphabetically (?) ... it can be hard find the Music folder .... you wouldn't want a customer to accidentally wander Off Reservation on their phone, and then clear something that they later regretted

If was implemented like this, it could look in tune with another part of MM5 ... its tool tip could say something like "displays only folders and files you have configured as sync targets for this device; see here", with a handy hyperlink to take the user to the relevant configure tab for the active device.
    Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Response to your other points:

Ludek wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:51 am As fr the "Reset settings" -- you have already raised this in the past several times, therefore we added the small explanation text "Device profiles contain default settings that allow a device or storage location to sync correctly. They don't include user-settings such as which content will sync."
    So I guess that it is clear enough what the reset settings does?
    ?? ... There is no tooltip for "Reset Settings.." button on Options tab at at >D&S>MyDevice

Ludek wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:51 am As for the missing tooltips and clearness issues -- I added most of the missing tooltips (that were in MM4 and are missing in MM5) on friday -- so they will be in 2192+
    I had never got very far with MM4 device sync ... so I hadn't seen those MM4 tools tips. ... A few comments:
    • you should fix this one ... it is a Hall of Shame candidate ... ie this one, and this one, are very good .... they tell the User what it does, and why|when they would want use the option
    • I don't think that this tooltip describes how MM5 works ... see earlier posts in the thread
    • this is not specific enough ... does it sync tags other than Ratings & Play Count? ... this important info for anyone considering use of this function ... ie. you don't offer a Sync-Undo function do you?
    Ludek wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:51 am As for the https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6fzch0lcuvo5 ... n.png?dl=0 being in conflict.
    As you can see on the "Auto-sync (--> Device)" page there is "Choose files to keep synced:" -- so you are selecting content/files to be synced -- not the playlists.
    If this is true, why do you include a Playlists node here?

Ludek wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:51 am This has always worked this way in MM4 (and I haven't noticed that anyone would ever complaint about this not to be clear enough, but maybe I am wrong?).
    Well they must all be smarter than me. They still seem to be in conflict to me. I understand that that creation of playlists is controlled by the setting on the Options tab .... but which of these controls sync of existing MM playlists? ... and why is the other required?
    Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, as for the missing metadata under D&S > Pixel > Folders.
    I see, for the FLAC file type the MTP interface does not provide album/artist metadata -- so the Device>Folders subnodes are missing the metadata, we would need to take it from our databases (like we already do in case of the Pixel > Music subnode), entered as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15877
    BTW: if you go to Pixel > Music -- do you see the artist/album metadata?

As for the SQl error in MM4, this is not the albums table of MM4 database, but it seems albums table of MMA database (pixel/internal storage/MediaMonkey/files/mmstore.db). You probably installed MediaMonkey for Android (MMA) once up on a time? Anyhow it is very strange that the MMA db is missing the albums table, I haven't seen this yet.
    Could you please sent me content of the /MediaMonkey/files/ folder + debug log from MM4 ?

Thanks!
    Ludek

Post by Ludek »

?? ... There is no tooltip for "Reset Settings.." button on Options tab at at >D&S>MyDevice
    The text is directly on the 'Settings profile' page so I supposed that it is well visible, but sure, we might add it to the toolptip too.
    this is not specific enough ... does it sync tags other than Ratings & Play Count? ... this important info for anyone considering use of this function ... ie. you don't offer a Sync-Undo function do you?
    This depends on device type, for some devices only playcount is synced, for some rating&playcount and for those with MMA installed also further metadata like album/artist/title. It is hard to list all kinds of devices (various iPods, iPhones, android phones, Black Berries , etc. etc. ) and the list of metadata being synced in a tooltip. And no, we don't offer Undo sync.
    If this is true, why do you include a Playlists node here?
    The playlists node allows you to select playlist content to by synced (even if you don't wish to create M3U playlists on the device -- or any other playlist type)

EDIT: I entered https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15878 for Rusty to review the wording and missing tooltips, it is true that the wording have not been revised for years.
    Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:11 am BTW: if you go to Pixel > Music -- do you see the artist/album metadata?
    Yes ... is all Ok there

Ludek wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:11 am As for the SQl error in MM4, this is not the albums table of MM4 database, but it seems albums table of MMA database (pixel/internal storage/MediaMonkey/files/mmstore.db). You probably installed MediaMonkey for Android (MMA) once up on a time? Anyhow it is very strange that the MMA db is missing the albums table, I haven't seen this yet.
    Could you please sent me content of the /MediaMonkey/files/ folder + debug log from MM4 ?
    I will do this in the morning.
    Yes. I have MMA ... and have used it with MM5.
    I may have also used it with MM4 ... can't remember.

Ludek wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:24 am
    The text is directly on the 'Settings profile' page so I supposed that it is well visible, but sure, we might add it to the toolptip too.
    I see the text (now) .... the placement of those words beside the exported image browser, implies (to me) that those words relate to the importation of a exported config .... it is not clear that they also relate to a Config Reset, which I originally assumed was like a Factory Reset for the whole config for sync of the device ... so I think the tooltip will help.
    Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:11 am As for the SQl error in MM4, this is not the albums table of MM4 database, but it seems albums table of MMA database (pixel/internal storage/MediaMonkey/files/mmstore.db). You probably installed MediaMonkey for Android (MMA) once up on a time? Anyhow it is very strange that the MMA db is missing the albums table, I haven't seen this yet.
    I have sent you a link to upload of /MediaMonkey/files/ from my phone.

A debug log would require me to install a debug version of MM4 wouldn't it? ... I am not very motivated to screw around with my MM4 installation just for a bug that you have never seen before, in the old version of MM ... what's the point, how does that get MM5 progressing towards completion? I already spend too much time on MM matters.

Ludek wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:24 am
    this is not specific enough ... does it sync tags other than Ratings & Play Count? ... this important info for anyone considering use of this function ... ie. you don't offer a Sync-Undo function do you?
    This depends on device type, for some devices only playcount is synced, for some rating&playcount and for those with MMA installed also further metadata like album/artist/title. It is hard to list all kinds of devices (various iPods, iPhones, android phones, Black Berries , etc. etc. ) and the list of metadata being synced in a tooltip. And no, we don't offer Undo sync.s.
    I have thought some more about this answer from you.

Are you really comfortable with it? ... I think it sux. I think MM5 is trying to guess what I want. and is over stepping in this instance.

You are going to update my MM.db, and you are deciding whether what I want updated, and I have no control.
    • track ratings
    • play count and date last played?
    • album|track|artist names & titles?
    • genre?
    • BPM?
    • who knows what?
    A user has no way to predict what you will update ... it just depends on whatever you decided would be suitable for my phone version (? .. if that is what you are saying?) ... and there is no undo.

Don't you think that you should offer something like you do here?

And just because MM4 worked this way. is not a good reason to continue in this direction IMO.
    Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I have sent you a link to upload of /MediaMonkey/files/ from my phone.
    Thx, I analyzed the files and MMA database (mmstore.db) has the table albums, so I have no idea why there was "no such table albums" SQL error before in your test. Probably the database has not been downloaded as whole via MTP (the file was incomplete or malformed), this used to be known issue with buggy Android's MTP protocol -- but hard to guess without seeing a debug log.

As for the metadata being synced: By traversing the code/device plugins I see that for iPods/iPhones/iPads the playcount, rating, lastplayed fields are synced, for the other devices the metadata are synced only when MMA is installed on the device and if that is the case then all metadata changed in MMA are synced back to MMW. As for selecting which meetadata to sync, added it as feature request (with 5.1 target): https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15882