Can't easily add new folder/directory (change from MM4)

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

paulonl

Can't easily add new folder/directory (change from MM4)

Post by paulonl »

Hi,

I have a directory on my NAS called 'Import' where I download music files in directories named after the artist, so the 'Import' directory has many subfolders. My workflow is to create a new subfolder (eg Diana Ross), download a bunch of music files and do some tagging, cleaning up, remove duplicates, etc. outside of MM to prepare the files to be added to MM.

In MM4 I would then select the 'Import' folder and select Add/Rescan. The subsequent dialog would easily allow me to open and browse the 'Import' folder and select the Diana Ross subfolder I want to add. This however is no longer possible.

I now have to go through a lengthy process to Add a new location for just the Diana Ross subfolder. Needless to say that this appears to be a big step backwards in usability compared to MM4, but perhaps I'm missing something?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Paulo
Ludek

Re: Can't easily add new folder/directory (change from MM4)

Post by Ludek »

Why did you not go directly to 'Diana Ross' subfolder and press Insert to Add/Rescan it?
I mean go to MM5 > Folders > Import > Diana Ross and press insert.
Or you can just re-scan whole Import folder everytime you add a content to it (without a need for a manual interaction)
paulonl

Post by paulonl »

Thanks. What you're suggesting (MM5 > Folders > Import > Diana Ross and press insert) works indeed.

However, it does requires me to navigate to the MM5 Folders node and browse several levels deep to locate the folder and insert while I already have the ' Import' folder ' open' in my music Collection and I could easily go 1 level down and select Diana Ross and add the files. Why was this functionality removed from the MM4 Add/Rescan dialog? And is it possible to add it again to the Add/Re-scan dialog?

Re-scanning the whole import folder is not possible for me because the songs in certain subfolders need cleaning up etc. before I want to add them to MM.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I guess that your specific use-case was not taken into account when designing the new Add/Rescan dialog for MM5.

However you can use the new "pinned" feature in MM5 and pin the 'import' folder for easier access.
Just navigate the folder via Folders node, right-click > Pin it
Then you will see the Import folder under Pinned
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

paulonl wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:31 am I now have to go through a lengthy process to Add a new location for just the Diana Ross subfolder. Needless to say that this appears to be a big step backwards in usability compared to MM4, but perhaps I'm missing something?

Any comments are appreciated.
My process work process has the same aims, but is different to yours. ... This process is supported by MM5 ... ie. is not missing the browse control that has gone missing from MM5.
  • I rip to my PC ... is usually a bit quicker than ripping to NAS ... I always rip to the same location
  • is not really relevant, but I don't use MM for ripping .. the ripper creates albumartist>album folders under my ripping location
  • my ripping location is known to MM5 ... it is usually empty ... the location is scheduled under "manual" control ... it's check box is usually de-selected
  • use MM File|ReScan menu item to add all the contents of the ripping location to MM5
  • tidy up the tags and art ... I use MM to do this, as is the best tool for re-tagging etc ... the new tracks are in MM, but are outside my "collection", as they are in my temp ripping location on my PC
  • have two tabs open in MM5 ... 1. >Entire Library>Location>YourRippingLocation .... 2. Folders>YourNas>YourMusicShare
  • on tab 1: navigate to an album that you want to add to your collection ... use MM to cut the tracks
  • on tab 2: navigate to the artist who owns the album: use MM to create a folder for the album
  • on tab 2: use MM to paste the tracks ... provided you used cut above, the other files are also transferred if you have them (eg. ripping log, and Folder.jpg files)
  • repeat for any other albums which you want to transfer to your collection
  • when you have transferred all that you want to in this session ... go back to tab 1, and Remove any remaining tracks|albums in your ripping location from MM (chose option Delete from Library only)
  • use Windows Explorer to delete the empty folder from your ripping location
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
paulonl

Post by paulonl »

Thanks Barry for sharing your workflow. It has given me some ideas...