Volume control slider is too small in MM5

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

leblancj

Volume control slider is too small in MM5

Post by leblancj »

I find the volume slider in MM5 to be too small to be effective. Here's a screenshot:
It is only about 5mm long on my 13" screen. This contrasts with the 'now playing' slider to the left, which must be 10-15x longer. I personally adjust the volume far more often than fast forward or rewind through a track. Could you please devote more space to the volume slider (you could subtract it from the 'now playing' slider)?

I've tried to use hotkeys instead but there is a problem with assigning volume up & down hotkeys; MM5 only seems to remember one of the two. Also, the hotkey volume settings work only intermittently, at least when I'm casting to a Chromecast. Until this is fixed, it's critical to have a volume slider that is long enough to effectively manipulate.
John LeBlanc
Peke

Re: Volume control slider is too small in MM5

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I guess new skin for smaller screens needs to be done.

You can temper with it by Right clicking on Volume BAR -> Inspect Element and Console will open where you can edit Its size and Look.

One of Benefits of MM5.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
leblancj

Post by leblancj »

Yes that is a very nice feature. However, I've never edited HTML code. I opened the element, found "SeekBarbefore" and tried to change the width (should that be length?) from 20 to 60px. That did work but it shoved it towards the right and on top of the border. I guess this means that one would have to edit the entire line to make sure there's enough space for it right? I guess I"ll have to leave it up to you.
John LeBlanc
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Low size screens Skins are low priority for now. Maybe one of our forum members could help you.
Best regards,
Peke
leblancj

Post by leblancj »

btw, this is not a low-resolution issue. My resolution is 3000x2000 (MS Surfacebook), which is probably why the slider is so small.

Fair enough; I wouldn't expect you to guide me in this type of editing. However, could you please point me to an online resource about how to edit these elements? All I found with Google was that "SeekBarBefore" appeared to be an Android tool.
John LeBlanc
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Have you tried to Put MM5 In tablet/touch Mode (View -> Mode -> Touch)?

Re Tools: I guess that the bets way to start is to read https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 27&t=81285
Best regards,
Peke
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

I agree that the volume slider is too small.

Have you noticed that playback volume can be set from the Windows Task bar

leblancj wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:12 am
I've tried to use hotkeys instead but there is a problem with assigning volume up & down hotkeys; MM5 only seems to remember one of the two. Also, the hotkey volume settings work only intermittently, at least when I'm casting to a Chromecast. Until this is fixed, it's critical to have a volume slider that is long enough to effectively manipulate.
I tried setting a hot key for Volume Up, and for Volume Down. Both seemed to be remembered OK, and both were responsive when casting to my TV.

Your settings look similar to this?

I noticed a couple of things about MM hotkeys:
  • they don't much like being held down ... ie. you can't always just hold the the key down to get progressive volume adjustments ... you have to tap the key multiple times for a reliable response
  • if you make your hotkeys be global, like I did in the above example, they will be available even when MM5 is not the active application on your desktop ... this implies that you have to chose a key combination that is not used by any other active application ... ie. in the example in my screenshot I chose ctrl+shift+D for Volume Down ... not a good choice, because the Chrome Browser uses this key combo for Bookmark All Tabs, so if MM5 is not the active application it may never receive the key event ... maybe this was happening with the shortcut that MM5 didn't remember? ... btw I wish you good luck trying to find key combos that are not in use ... eg. I just discovered that Windows File Explorer registers 72 key board shortcut combinations.
[UPDATE] .. I just noticed that if you click the (small) volume slider, it is selected, so you can make small volume adjustments using the left & right arrow keys
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
leblancj

Post by leblancj »

Very helpful advice. The hotkeys now seem to be working; it took a few tries and restarts. Sometimes the response was sluggish compared to using the slider.

re: L & R arrow keys with slider
I had noticed this as well but what I found is that not only did the volume go up & down but the the cursor simultaneously rewound or fast-forwarded the music! The arrow keys controlled two functions at the same time. I'd be curious if that happens with you too.
John LeBlanc
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

leblancj wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:36 ambut what I found is that not only did the volume go up & down but the the cursor simultaneously rewound or fast-forwarded the music! The arrow keys controlled two functions at the same time. I'd be curious if that happens with you too.
Yes it does. That's a bug. I had not noticed that, because I don't use MM as a player.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

As for the adjusting width of the volume slider,
edit .../skins/Material Design (dark)/skin/skin_player_add.less

And change

Code: Select all

[data-id='player-volumebar'] {    
    height: @units0_8;
    width: @units4_0;
}
to something like

Code: Select all

[data-id='player-volumebar'] {    
    height: @units0_8;
    width: @units8_0;
}
This will make the slider twice wider. I will adjust it the same way for the next build (as also in the touch mode it is still very small)
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

leblancj wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:36 ambut what I found is that not only did the volume go up & down but the the cursor simultaneously rewound or fast-forwarded the music! The arrow keys controlled two functions at the same time. I'd be curious if that happens with you too.
This will be also fixed for the next build as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16123
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

The volume bar is still tiny. This is on a 4k screen with Windows at 125% scale so not a real estate issue. The volume slider is about half the size of MM4. Right clicking the taskbar icon -> volume ->n x 10% or keyboard shortcuts are not viable options; this is a media player and the volume should be a key consideration.

further, i shouldn't have to download an extra skin or edit HTML to make the volume slider an acceptable size. MM should work out-the-box for stuff like this.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Which skin in MM4 are you using?

For me the volume bar in MM5 is actually wider in the default skins (comparing to MM4):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwe4ejs7zq57t ... 5.png?dl=0