Some of things between V4 & V5

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

calibra69

Some of things between V4 & V5

Post by calibra69 »

Hello everybody,
happy new year!
Concerning MM5, i have 3 questions:
- The skins are very useful but the volume bar is too small! i'm using it for managing my Denon with DLNA, so i need to be precise. Something to do ?
- In MM4, for each folder, there is always a folder call "All", where u can see all the media In the subfolders, but this has disapeared, no ? any idea ?
- With MM4, i wasn't a gold member and DLNA worked fine, but now, there is a 30 min limit for streaming, do i have to buy a MM4 licence who which works in mm5 ?
Thks by advance for the answers.
Barry4679

Re: Some of things between V4 & V5

Post by Barry4679 »

Hi, and Happy New Year to you also.

I'm not from MM. Most of them seem to be on holiday. I can help you with a couple of your questions.
calibra69 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:17 pm - The skins are very useful but the volume bar is too small! i'm using it for managing my Denon with DLNA, so i need to be precise. Something to do ?
  • 1. If you select the volume bar, you can make small adjustments using the left and right arrow keys
  • 2. Also you can assign hot keys to make volume adjustments, and these key assignments can be global, so that MM5 volume can be adjusted even though MM5 is not the currently selected application ... see this Tools|Options menu option

calibra69 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:17 pm - In MM4, for each folder, there is always a folder call "All", where u can see all the media In the subfolders, but this has disapeared, no ? any idea ?
There is a control on the toolbar which toggles visibility within "All" folders ... the control is visible once you are inside a disk share
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

I have been doing a lot of testing trying to convert a fairly large MM4 database to MM5 without any corruption.
So far, I have not succeeded.

Even when you think you have succeeded, if you look closer your will find some tracks pointing to wrong folders. And I have not been able to fix them.

I have spent hours, days and weeks trying various methods, without success.
More work is needed to make this process a lot, lot better.

Be warned. Don't leave MM4 until you are absolutely certain that you have got the database conversion licked. 😛

PS: If one of the developers would like to take a look at my MM5 database, I am happy to supply it.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

dypsis wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:04 am Even when you think you have succeeded, if you look closer your will find some tracks pointing to wrong folders. And I have not been able to fix them.
Am interested.

You converted by importing database from MM4, or using MM5 to re-scan your tracks?

How did you detect MM5 tracks pointing to the wrong folders?
Did EntireLibrary>FilesToEdit>Deadlinks list any missing tracks? ... I just tried with my 50,000+ tracks, and I see none ... btw I re-scanned, not import from MM4.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Hi Barry.

I have 5 tracks that are duplicated and will not remove.

I can see which track is the wrong one because it has no play history and when I right click and look at the properties, the path is one sub-folder above what it should be. Yes, the invalid track titles are listed in Files To Edit>Dead Links. But the crazy this is that the track titles listed in Dead Links are not the dead link tracks. I can play them. They are the good tracks. To get the dead link tracks, I can browse to the album and see the duplicate tracks and the one with no play history and an invalid file path.

But no matter how many time I right click on them and select "Remove", they return after another scan.

There has to be some problem with the database.
But I have converted many times, and have never had 100% success.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
happy New Year to all of you too!

As for the original issues reported by @calibra69 :
- the volume bar width is depending on skin, we have already enlarged it in the default Material Design (Dark) skin, are you using version 2219 and the default skin?Also try to see here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... ar#p463106 how to make it wider easily.
- as for the All node: Yes, this was intentionally eliminated and there is the new toolbar button "Display folder content recursively" as pointed by Barry
- as for the streaming/casting limitation to 30 minutes in the free version: MM lifetime license will always work and "MM4 only license" works in MM5 until "MM5 only license" is available for selling

As for the MM4 > MM5 database conversion issue reported by @dypsis :
This should really work and I am currently not aware of any issues with this.
Could you please:
- PM me link to your MM4 database (and link to the converted MM5 corrupted database) with exact description of the corruption
- did you convert it just by running fresh install of MM5 on the same PC where the MM4 instance resides and by accepting to import the MM4 settings & database? Or you have used another workflow?
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Hi Ludek.

PM sent.
Please read my post above carefully.
I tried to explain the best I can.

I have included my current MM5.DB, a screenshot of the questionable tracks, and an old MM5.DB.corrupted file dated December 03, 2019.
Peke

Post by Peke »

dypsis wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:04 am I have been doing a lot of testing trying to convert a fairly large MM4 database to MM5 without any corruption.
So far, I have not succeeded.
Here is that I would suggest to try which I have done in the process of testing my 200k library that is 15 years old.
  1. Install Clean portable Version if MM4
  2. Copy your existing MM4 library to portable folder
  3. Do maintain Full on MM4 library and check if all files are there as they should be
  4. Install Clean MM5 Portable
  5. Copy MM4 library
  6. Start MM5 and let it finish update
  7. Start Rebuild Library
  8. Check if all is there
Point of this is to make MM.DB as Clean As possible from any Script changes.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Thanks for your suggestion, Peke.
I will try that.

Someone needs to be able to come up with a simple method that is reliable and 100% working.

I guess step 1 is "Install Clean portable Version of MM4".
Last edited by dypsis on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I can't agree more. This is why MM5 is in Beta ;) things like that when found should be fixed ASAP.
Best regards,
Peke
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

I copied MM4 database prior to opening MM5. It asked me if I wanted to copy both Library and Settings. I said "Yes".
I don't know what settings it was asking about. I hope it's not my installed version.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

7. Rebuild Library ?
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

It has hung/frozen when I click Dead Links. :(
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Yes, File -> Manage Library -> Rebuild Database , you can also enable rebuild Full text Search.

You are safe MM.DB is renamed to MM5.DB anyway and that is why you use portable. Additional security backup.
Best regards,
Peke
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

I guess all this should have been started in a new thread as a reference and help for others.