Sorting issue with Grid View

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Davo

Sorting issue with Grid View

Post by Davo »

1. Collection > Artist then select Grid View = result - Artists appear in alphabetic order, which is correct

2. select an artist from the Grid & the albums belonging to that artist appear, but are in 'Year' order ?? Whereas i want them alphabetically sorted by Album Name.

Is this a default sort arrangement & if so how do i change it?
David

Re: Sorting issue with Grid View

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:15 am Is this a default sort arrangement & if so how do i change it?
You probably need to learn how to program.

Some views have Sort By options in their dropdown menu icon on the tool bar, but there is nothing for that inline display
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Davo

Post by Davo »

@ MM devs
Will MM implement a 'sort by' function for the Grid view?
David

Post by PetrCBR »

Hi. It's on TODO
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Davo

Post by Davo »

Is it still on the TODO list & what would be the ETA
David

Post by Davo »

1. A reply would be appreciated. Also it would be useful if the TODO list was published.

2. Another issue when the column filter is used in conjunction with the Grid view.
If you select an Artist in the column filter & then select an Album It brings up the Artist in the main pane & not the Album?
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:54 pm 2. Another issue when the column filter is used in conjunction with the Grid view.
If you select an Artist in the column filter & then select an Album It brings up the Artist in the main pane & not the Album?
Hi David, your problem descriptions are bit too pithy to be confidently sure about what you are describing. ... ie. you where in which Node?, and you selected an album how?

I think that you are probably clicking too low ... see here, there are three separate click zones .. the album art, and the album name, and the artist name ... I think that you are probably clicking the Artist name.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Davo

Post by Davo »

Ok
First I am making the selections in the column filter, which has 4 columns Genre, Composer, Artist, Album
2. The issue i described was in the Artist node. But with further testing i have the same issue in the Conductor & Composer nodes.

The problem does not exist at the Collection level or Album node.
My thinking is if i am using the Column Filter to find say an album it should not matter what node i am in.
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:50 pm My thinking is if i am using the Column Filter to find say an album it should not matter what node i am in.
It doesn't matter, but if you have found a bug it may be affecting only a specific node ... so it helps to know where to go, if trying to replicate what you are seeing.

Am getting closer with your added info, but not quite there yet. ... from your original question.
Davo wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:54 pm If you select an Artist in the column filter & then select an Album It brings up the Artist in the main pane & not the Album?
So I have Column Browser open, setup the same as yours.
I am filtered to Beethoven
Clicks #1 & #2 as you describe.

Is that what you mean when say "brings up Artist in the main pane"? ... ie it is filtered by the preceding fields in the filter: Beethoven and Arthur Grumiaux and now also the album I just selected ... it shows only 1 track, because the other tracks in the album were either by a different Composer, or had a different Artist tag.

Is that what you are seeing?
You do understand that the sections in the Column Browser are cumulative, and are ranked from left (most important) to right (least significant)?
Davo

Post by Davo »

Your node & selections in the Column Filter are the same as mine but i can see from your image that you are in the 'List by Album view'[ not the Grid view. Try the same column filter selection with the Grid view
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:29 am Your node & selections in the Column Filter are the same as mine but i can see from your image that you are in the 'List by Album view'[ not the Grid view. Try the same column filter selection with the Grid view
Sorry, my bad.

like this?

It still looks ok to me .... you do something after that?

Similar to my 1st answer, that entry in the main pane has two click zones in the Summary column ... one takes you to the Detail page for the album, and the other to the detail page for the Artist.

Not what you expected?

PS. this is my 2nd shot at answering your post ... I deleted my 1st one, because it was incorrect ... I hope you didn't read it, and get confused.
Davo

Post by Davo »

You are still using the List by Album view not the Grid View. It is the combination of the Grid view & Column filter that is causing the problem
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Duh ... I think that I finally got there :oops:

I think that the answer is going to be that this is the Artist subnode, and therefore its Grid view displays Artists.

You haven't actually selected an album, you have filtered the view of artists to just those who are associated with that album.

If you think about what a sub-node is, the answer probably is that it is:
  • a default sort sequence
  • a default column to filter by in the context filter .. ie. type Cage into the artist view, and you would see the band Cage The Elephant, but not the Composer John Cage
  • and it is a Grid View, specially tailored for the sub-node type ... ie. see Artist not Albums, in this case
I agree that it is confusing that when you change the View from Grid, to List By Album, it is a big ask for people to expect|understand that the display flips from albums to Artists.
Davo

Post by Davo »

Not only confusing but poorly designed imo.
The purpose of the Column filter is not only to filter but also to enable a selection from the filtered results. This function is broken it seems when you use a sub node in conjunction with a Grid view, eg if you are in the Artist node you cannot select an Album from the Column filter even though it is listed in the filtered results.
The problem above is compounded by not being able to sort by Album or Artist etc in the Grid view. I don't understand why 'Year' was chosen to sort on, it is not a required field & far less useful than Album &/or Artist.

No wonder so many people wan't the Media Tree it's far simpler & quicker to find things notwithstanding the increased system overhead.
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:40 am Not only confusing but poorly designed imo.
But now that you know how it works, wouldn't you just use the Album sub-node, when you are wanting to see Albums.
Davo wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:40 am The problem above is compounded by not being able to sort by Album or Artist etc in the Grid view. I don't understand why 'Year' was chosen to sort on, it is not a required field & far less useful than Album &/or Artist.
Have they said that they won't include facility to custom sort the grids? ... I could be wrong, but I thought that was still an open question.