Sorting issue with Grid View

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Davo

Re: Sorting issue with Grid View

Post by Davo »

1. Perhaps the Column filter should be removed from the sub-view option for the sub nodes that it does not function correctly with.

2. Custom sorting was on a TODO list. If it is still an open question as you suggest i am disappointed. I have asked twice about progress on this but there has been no reply
David

Re: Sorting issue with Grid View

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:18 pm 1. Perhaps the Column filter should be removed from the sub-view option for the sub nodes that it does not function correctly with.
I think that it is OK as it is.
I think that you need to review just what a sub-node is (for).

It seems to me that it is all working correctly:
  • the Artist node is doing exactly what it says on the the tin; ie. shows Artists in its Grid view
  • and the Column Filter ... enables you to Filter that, or any node, based upon a very flexible filter, that you can easily re-design for yourself to answer any question .... btw they renamed it in MM5 from Column Browser to Column Filter, which makes the point that it is essentially a filtering tool, and not a just a navigation tool, like you want it to be. ... filtering is like navigation on steroids; ie. it doesn't just go somewhere; it collects all the things you are looking for, from each of their individual somewheres
And even if you get somewhere, in the Artist node, and then you want an album focused view of that material, you just have to flip the View from Grid, to List by Album.
Davo wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:18 pm No wonder so many people wan't the Media Tree it's far simpler & quicker to find things notwithstanding the increased system overhead.
And coming back to this throw away comment. ... I just don't see this, and suspect that you probably don't either.

The Media Tree lists are fixed indices. The Column Browser is a flexible multi-level index, that I can quickly redesign with just drag and drop ... eg. in that last image I posted, I was quickly filtering|navigating to just music by Beethoven, which involved Arthur Grumiaux ... not something I can do with the Media tree.

The day that I understood the Column Filter, in MM4, was the day that I stopped using the Media Tree. I was happy to regain the inch or two of column space on the left hand side, and to reduce scrolling left and right, and resizing of columns etc.

MM5 has made this approach even better, by addition of drag and drop re-design facility for the Column Filter.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.