M4P Files No Longer Play in Version 1896

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Mototunes

M4P Files No Longer Play in Version 1896

Post by Mototunes »

In December I bought the Gold version of the app & finally had some time to spend on my music library, but it wasn't long before I found a problem with M4P files.

On Jan. 3 after researching why M4P files would play on one of my computers, but not on another, I learned they are DRM protected files & will only play on the computer that was setup with iTunes. After wasting a whole bunch of time online I couldn't find a reasonable way to get them to play on my other computer or to convert them to MP3 files. If anyone knows of a simple & inexpensive way to this this I would appreciate hearing from you.

But it seems that's not the end of it. On Jan. 26 after receiving a reminder in MM that a new version was available I updated from 4.1.25.1895 to 4.1.26.1896 and now M4P file no longer play on the PC that used to play them! So I re-installed 1895 and they still don't play. So what up with that MM?
Lowlander

Re: M4P Files No Longer Play in Version 1896

Post by Lowlander »

They need to be authorized in QuickTime. See: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... aac-tracks
Mototunes

Post by Mototunes »

My PC is authorized (I can play them with Quicktime & iTunes), but the recent update of MM changed something on my PC & now they won't play with MM in either version (but they could before). And nothing else on my PC regarding music files has changed since the MM update.

Your suggestion is that I have to pay to become an iCloud member (never going to happen) & then upload & download every M4P file I own to be able to convert them!?!?

Anyone else have a reasonable solution? I though MM was top-grade software, that's why I paid for it.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Unfortunately, M4P files do not have any relations to MediaMonkey, it is Paid Copyright Music Format licensed by Apple and they can (and have in the past) remove support for third party apps anytime, thus iCloud is needed, because you are leasing the files from Apple not owning them (Fair use or not).

MediaMonkey never had and will not remove DRM from files unless it is allowed by creator of DRM License, in this case Apple.

Have you tried to contact Apple?

EDIT: Sorry if I sounded harsh, but I have lost number of DRM files that way and as band do not exist anymore I can't re download them again :( hence the frustration at Apple and other DRM supported companies.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Mototunes

Post by Mototunes »

Thanks for your detailed & considerate reply Pavle. I'm sorry to hear about your own troubles with these type of files, and even more surprised (and saddened) because it seems you're far more tech-savy than I am. So if you can't do it I'm sure I can't. And I'm not saying I think MM should do anything illegal in regard to helping users manage these files.

I admit, that part of my reason for taking the time to post this topic was to vent a little about DRM files (that I legally own but can't play in anything other than iTunes & Quicktime now), the main reason was for admin to be aware that the last MMW4 update changed something that no longer allowed me to listen to M4P files on a PC that could play them prior to the update, and that even reverting back to the previous version didn't fix it.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Many of My friends just bought iCloud -> Uploaded tracks and downloaded non DRN ones. It nly depends how many and how important they are for you.

Your problem like mine is that they got unlicensed from PC and that made things difficult. iTunes retain rights to play them as they are authorized, but even that is not certain that after one iTunes install you will loose access to all tracks you carefully bought and downloaded locally.

You can always try using Virtual Sound Card and Manually record them, but that takes time.

Do a bit research.
Best regards,
Peke
jason_r_h

Post by jason_r_h »

I've installed QuickTime but even it won't play the m4p files. Am I doing something wrong? iTunes plays them fine, but I want to use MM (obviously). Especially since it used to work very nicely.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You may have to do an online search of how to authorize the files in QuickTime. QuickTime needs to be able to play them for other players to be able to play them (iTunes is the exception as Apple owns that too).
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Short Answer, those M4P files are de authorized for Fair Play Use and you can only play in Registered iTunes that is connected to account used to purchase those files.

Long Answer, it is Apple DRM and you need to see with them how to play those files in third party apps. Good luck :( Been there once and after that never bought a single file from them.
Best regards,
Peke
musictwig

Post by musictwig »

Came here hoping someone had found a a fix for the M4P file issue. Sad to hear the only option anyone's come up with is to pay for iCloud. I don't use Apple products, so that's never going to happen for me either. Previous notes on this issue indicated the only way around this is to use iTunes to burn a cd of your the M4P music, then rip the cd onto your computer using MM. Guess I'll be spending some time doing this on my borrowed laptop, since my home computer is so old iTunes will not run on it anymore.
/grumble
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

After exploring several suggested approaches, the one I found that works most consistently and reliably is to use iTunes to burn a disc as a music disc, not as an MP3 disc (iTunes has to be involved to deal with the DRM). Then read that music disc into MM. MM will not always find the disc in freedb so you may have to manually enter all the metadata. A tedious process, but one that will work. You need to have a playlist with the M4P files for iTunes to burn a music disc. You don't need to have a complete disc to burn a music disc, of course, but that will guarantee you'll have to do a manual entry. Plan B - buy the music again as an MP3 (or better, as FLAC).