Export/Create Playlists 4 Child Nodes 4.0 (2013-07-10)[MM2+]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

djmt99

Re: Export/Create Playlists 4 Child Nodes 4.0 (2013-07-10)[MM2+]

Post by djmt99 »

Alright, let me explain what I'm doing, and how it has been done.

I host a musical game night every week. I have a series of games/themes. I have organized them into hundreds of playists. The parent playlist has all of the songs for the theme and can range anywhere from 30-200 songs . The child playlist has all of the answers, which are 30 songs that exist in the parent. When I dump these playists into my dj software, it's smart enough and won't duplicate the songs in the parent playlist (since the same songs in the child are in the parent, and they are stored in the *same* location), but it allows me to quickly glance at the correct answers.

What's happening with the file/folder structure system right now with your script, is that the songs *are* being duplicated because they are being copied to seperate folders (a folder for each playlist).

That other plug in that I referenced, would copy JUST the files within each playlist, and it would copy them to the same folder structure system as it did on the drive that they came from. And it would create a playlist pointing to said new, copied location. Example:

Drive A has my entire library. Drive B is what I'm using just for the music on the playists I'm exporting.

Drive A
-Folder Blue
--Song 1 (in playlist)
--Song 2 (in playlist)
--Song 3 (not in playlist)
Folder Red
--Song 4 (in playlist)
--Song 5 (in playlist)
--Song 6 (not in playlist)

Drive B
-Folder Blue
--Song 1 (in playlist)
--Song 2 (in playlist)
Folder Red
--Song 4 (in playlist)
--Song 5 (in playlist)

Drive B only has the songs that were exported thru the playlist, and follows the same folder structure are Drive A. A playlist gets copied to drive b for each playlist copied from the mm library on drive a.

Hopefully this makes better sense.
Disc Jockey (DJ & VJ) ; AV & Lighting Tech ; Music Lover of all types
MediaMonkey Gold - Proud Lifetime License holder, Since Aug 2008
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

djmt99 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:54 pmHopefully this makes better sense.
Sorry, but I still don't understand what you are doing. You didn't answer to almost any of my questions. You talk about copying of "the files within each playlist", but you didn't answer what files you are copying. There are some other add-ons that could export M3U playlist files but, as far as I know, there are no such add-on which allows copying of the media files together with the playlist files, excluding this one.

So, here are the questions again, please answer to each one:
1. What do you mean by "I was able to export a playlist and have the files copied to the same folder structure as it's source"?
2. Which files have you copied, media files or playlist files?
3. Did you use the Export option from the menu that contains " & Copy Media Files" in its name?
4. What the same folder structure you are talking about when you already said that you want to export files to the single folder?

Here is a simple example of the structure of nodes from the Media Tree that I want to export to the single folder with the option "Export - Selected node" disabled:
-Playlists
--Available Tracks
--Imported Playlists
--Favorites

If I right-click on the Playlists node and chose the menu Export/Create Playlists / Export Child Nodes for Playlist Files, I will get the dialog box asking for destination folder. After specifying it, e.g. c:\Temp\, I will get the c:\Temp\Available Tracks.m3u, c:\Temp\Imported Playlists.m3u and c:\Temp\Favorites.m3u files, i.e. all playlist files will be inside the c:\Temp folder. I will not get c:\Temp\Available Tracks\Available Tracks.m3u or anything like that. If I had the option "Export - Selected node" enabled, I would get c:\Temp\Playlists - Available Tracks.m3u, c:\Temp\Playlists - Imported Playlists.m3u and c:\Temp\Playlists - Favorites.m3u files, but all the exported files would be inside the single folder as well.

I expect from you to give me a similar example:
a) list of a few nodes that you want to export,
b) command from the menu that you are using,
c) list of exported playlist files,
d) list of wanted playlist files.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
JohnMBrooks

Post by JohnMBrooks »

Hey, guys! I've been trying to find a solution to my issue (I think it was alluded to here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ty#p392709, but not answered), but haven't found any fix. Hopefully someone can tell me at least whether it's possible within this plugin or not.

Apparently if a playlist is empty (regardless if 'Playlist' or 'Auto-Playlist'), it won't export anything at all. I can perfectly see how this is a feature for some, but on the other hand it is an issue for people like me. The issue is if I actively export a playlist with no files inside, I'd expect to see an actual playlist file with no files inside - however the result is no playlist at all gets exported.

As far as my use scenario, I have several playlists of tracks pending the assignment of a rating which I routinely export to my smartphone. If I go through the playlist and rate the tracks, and thus the playlist is empty, the plugin won't export it, leaving the old populated but obsolete playlist in place among my files. If I try to export the playlist, it gives the error: "The filelist is empty". In other words it won't update the "old" .m3u file on my phone. It would depend on me to know that that file is old and irrelevant, which kinda defeats the purpose of the convenience of playlists auto-exporting.

So, is there any way to get the plugin to export the playlists you tell it to export, regarless of if they're empty or not? I'd hope so, but lets see.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

JohnMBrooks wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:28 pmSo, is there any way to get the plugin to export the playlists you tell it to export, regarless of if they're empty or not?
There is no way to get empty playlist files using the free version of the add-on. The enhanced version of the add-on has that ability when the option "Skip export/import of - Empty playlists" is turned off. It has also the option "Delete all playlist files in target folder(s) before each export" that could be used to remove all playlist files from the specified target folder and/or its sub-folders recursively (depending of the other settings in the Options dialog box).

You are right, all previous versions of the add-on left intact "the old populated but obsolete" playlist files on export. Thanks for your explanation why such behavior is wrong. There is a new 4.1.1 version of the add-on that has fixed removal of the old playlist files on export of the corresponding empty playlists.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
JohnMBrooks

Post by JohnMBrooks »

Thanks for the quick response, @vezdanD! I appreciate it. I'll look into that then.

Update: I just checked, and the v4.1.1 update of the basic plugin took care of my issue perfectly and now does everything I need it to. Even better than I expected. I'm still surprised you took care of the issue so quickly since I wasn't really expecting a solution. I just sent a small donation your way as a token of gratitude. Thanks again!
stc

Post by stc »

Hi,
Does your plugin enable syncing - so when a file changes in the playlist in media monkey it is updated on the device the playlists have been exported to?
Thanks for your great looking plugin
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

stc wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:53 pmDoes your plugin enable syncing - so when a file changes in the playlist in media monkey it is updated on the device the playlists have been exported to?
No, this add-on does not sync media files. The enhanced version of the add-on allows automatic update of the playlist files when the related playlists in MM are changed (e.g. when media files are added/removed from a playlist), but even that version doesn't update media files.

The update of media files is happening in this add-on only when using the option "Export Child Nodes to Playlist Files & Copy Media Files" from the menu manually.
Coincident

Post by Coincident »

Hello.

I've recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
I successfully reinstalled Media Monkey 4.1.29.1910 (Gold)
And I successfully reinstalled this wonderful extension version 4.1 (and Media Monkey found the 4.1.1 update, which I did).

However, in the "Extensions" window, I am unable to open the "Options..." menu. If I press the button, nothing happens.
Like this I cannot configure or use this extension.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extensions, and rebooting my computer several times, but nothing seems to work.
Anyone else has had this problem? Any ideas on how to solve it?

Thank you in advance.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Coincident wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:46 am in the "Extensions" window, I am unable to open the "Options..." menu.
This is a bug of the program that I reported to MM developers, but I didn't get any response. It is manifesting if an add-on is installed for the current user only (which doesn't require admin rights).

However, there are two other ways to open the Options dialog box of this add-on. Here is the excerpt from the Usage section of the web page:
"The add-on settings are located in the Options dialog which you could get if you: 1) chose the Options command from the File | Export/Create Playlists menu, or 2) select Export/Create Playlists add-on in the Tools | Extensions dialog box and click on the Options button, or 3) select the General | Export/Create Playlists sheet in the Tools | Options dialog box."
Coincident

Post by Coincident »

ZvezdanD wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:36 pm However, there are two other ways to open the Options dialog box of this add-on. Here is the excerpt from the Usage section of the web page:
"The add-on settings are located in the Options dialog which you could get if you: 1) chose the Options command from the File | Export/Create Playlists menu, or 2) select Export/Create Playlists add-on in the Tools | Extensions dialog box and click on the Options button, or 3) select the General | Export/Create Playlists sheet in the Tools | Options dialog box."
This worked. Thank you so much! :)
Davidgoeson

Post by Davidgoeson »

Hi,

Export/Create Playlists does not create playlists from Child Nodes (Magic Nodes Node), from "Create playlist from Child nodes" option, it just creates playlists, the structure and names are correct but they are empty.

Here's the options:
Selected Node+All levels of subnodes
To single folder
M3U
ANSI
"All" nodes
Exclude files "Unavailable"
Replace "X" with "Y"

When using "Export Child nodes to Playlists FIles" then I get "Exported 0 playlists in X Time", on nothing gets exported and destination folder is empty.

Thanks in advance.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Davidgoeson wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:09 am Exclude files "Unavailable"
Replace "X" with "Y"
Are you absolutely sure that you are trying to create/export playlists with the files psychically available in the computer, i.e. that they have correct paths in the database? Did you try to create/export playlists with the Exclude unavailable files option turned off?

And why are you replacing "X" with "Y" in paths? If you want to change just drive letters in the paths, you should specify "X:" and "Y:". Otherwise, you could get replaced "X" with "Y" in folders and filenames as well.
Davidgoeson

Post by Davidgoeson »

Hi ZvezdanD,

thanks for your reply.

Unchecking "Exclude unavailable" seemed to work and the playlists were created, thanks.

The files are actually not physically in the computer they are in a network shared folder in a different computer, but files are accessible/playable from the computer where MM4 is installed in (path is properly set under Tools). "X" and "Y" where used instead of using the actual real paths.

Cheers!
cokehearth

Post by cokehearth »

Hi ZvezdanD,

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer by searching.

I have the free version, and I love the ability to export Magic Nodes into playlists on the Media Tree. Does the enhanced version have the ability do this automatically? e.g. When loading up Mediamonkey, it'll export the Magic Nodes as static playlists within Mediamonkey?

Many thanks,
cokehearth
Primarily using: MM4 (latest update) Gold on Windows 11 (32GB RAM);
Samsung A54G 128GB/1TB MicroSD.

Library: 1875GB (254680+) files, on a Network Drive (Windows)
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

cokehearth wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:56 am Does the enhanced version have the ability do this automatically? e.g. When loading up Mediamonkey, it'll export the Magic Nodes as static playlists within Mediamonkey?
No, it doesn't. Only nodes from the Playlists branch could be exported automatically, even with the enhanced version.

Export of nodes from the Playlists branch doesn't require the actual expanding/selecting of nodes and because of that it could be performed without affecting the use of the program, i.e. it could be performed in background, even on the startup.

However, export of other nodes (including the nodes from Magic Nodes) requires that such nodes are expanded and selected by the add-on one by one. Because of that, it is highly recommended that you do not use the program until the add-on finishes its job, if you export such nodes.

I have planned to allow automatic export of nodes from Magic Nodes, but such intervention would require too much work on both add-ons, Export/Import and Magic Nodes, which is simply not worth of my time.