Ripping multiple disc sets

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Jeffmcc

Ripping multiple disc sets

Post by Jeffmcc »

I am trying to rip cds to my computer and I think I have an ok grasp on it . My problem is I have a bunch of 3cd sets the first 2 rip fine and are separate but the third gets mixed up with the second cd. Is there a way to prevent this. I am not very tech savy so any help would b greatly appreciated
Lowlander

Re: Ripping multiple disc sets

Post by Lowlander »

How does it get mixed up and which version of MediaMonkey?

Make sure you set Disc# according to the disc being ripped. Album and Album Artist values should be the same for all files on all discs on the Album if you want MediaMonkey to see it as 1 Album.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

For multiple disc albums, apart from adding the disc number to the tag field, I also add (Disc 1), (Disc 2) etc to the album title.

For example:
Bob Dylan \ Biograph (Disc 2)

Jeffmcc

Post by Jeffmcc »

i am using the latest version it tells me. the first cd comes out right with the right tracklist as does the second one but the third gets added to the second cds tracklist everyother song like 1-1 2-2 3-3 if that makes sense. i have tried adding different things in the tags before ripping but still does the same thing which tag should i change?
pushpull

Post by pushpull »

Also, when you name the CDs like that, be consistent in the format. If you name the first disc, "CD1", then the second shouldn't be something like "CD 2" or even "Disc 2". The reason for this is that it will throw the order out of whack because of the alphabet/number/space/symbol hierarchy that computers use to organize. It may not be that big of a deal to some people, but if you are like me, then you like a proper order to things, and if you go looking for something you can expect it to be where it belongs. As an example, if you had "BobDylan Disc 1" and "BobDylan CD2, then the computer would organize this as "BobDylan CD2" first and then "BobDylan Disc 1". Hope that makes sense.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It depends what node you're in as to what you're seeing and sort as to how the files would be displayed (screenshot doesn't show any problems in MediaMonkey). We don't know what node you're in, nor what you're sorting on. Do note that using disc # in Album tag causes MediaMonkey to see each disc as a separate Album.
sallenmd87

Post by sallenmd87 »

I prefer to have most of my multi-disc albums appear as one album in my playlists, so I do not name them differently (e.g. Disc 2, Disc 2) if they have the same album art. The exception is classical box sets composed of multiple albums. I do name each individually so that each disc has its particular art displayed. Very important to make sure each track on each disc has the correct disk #. I view my music almost exclusively in the many AutoPlaylists that I have created. In most cases, I have set the sort order to be album, disc #, and track #. This way they all display correctly in sequence even if the album name is the same for each. Album artist should also be the same. For some classical playlists I sort by grouping so that works stay together in proper sequence. For example, I have groups like Beethoven: Symphony No. 8 [Karajan 1962] and Beethoven Symphony No. 8 [Karajan 1977] to sort on. For any works that go higher than single digit numbers, I need to use zeros to get them to sort in numerical order. For example: Haydn: Symphony No. 009, Haydn: Symphony No. 020 and Haydn: Symphony No. 102 with an appropriate identifier of artist or conductor at the end to keep performances together when I have multiples. There are some that I have multiples, so I need this. The most I have is 40 performances of Mozart's Requiem, which is one of my very favorite classical works. (I've been collecting music for 40 years.)
dypsis

Re: Ripping Multiple Disc Sets

Post by dypsis »

Just to add some additional thoughts about disc numbering.

I think that disc numbering will become redundant as time goes on.
You can see evidence of this already if you purchase what was originally multi-disc albums from HD music sites such as HDtracks.
You will see that they are all just one long string of tracks.

But for now, if the catalogue number is a multi disc set, then I keep it that way.
I think originality is the key. At least that's how I tackle it. 😀