Media Monkey Is Mis Behavin'!

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

charmingnathan

Media Monkey Is Mis Behavin'!

Post by charmingnathan »

Hello,

I have been an avid user of MediaMonkey for many years, since a friend recommended it, and used it to catalogue my entire music collection, consisting of thousands and thousands of files.

In that time, I have looked at using other pieces of software, but none have got close to MediaMonkey.

However, today it has started playing up quite extraordinarily.

It has been regularly crashing completely (as if I'd exited the software), not always responding to keyboard commands, seems to take longer to load an album of songs, and most annoyingly, the tagging service is regularly listing all the tracks in the wrong order - and I have tried this with several different albums.

I had managed to get around this for a time, by re-starting MediaMonkey after I'd catalogued an album, but even this doesn't make any difference. Now, even when the titles are listed in the correct order, and I click on the button to tag, it will only complete a couple of song titles, leaving the others untouched, despite them being ticked to tag.

For your information, I am using Widows 7, Service Pack 1, with a freshly installed, and uninstalled MediaMonkey, and the same with Discogs Tagger, all the latest versions.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as I find these issues very frustrating.

Thank you for your time.
Lowlander

Re: Media Monkey Is Mis Behavin'!

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey?

As far as tagging, ask in the Addons forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72637&hilit=discogs
charmingnathan

Post by charmingnathan »

Thanks for your reply Lowlander.

The version is the latest, as I stated in my original post, 4.1.28.

I have tried posting in the Add-On's section before, but found response very slow. Nevertheless, I shall try!

Cheers.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then try to run File > Maintain Library with complete optimization checked. It may improve things.
charmingnathan

Post by charmingnathan »

Thanks for that suggestion Lowlander.

Unfortunately, carrying this out only made the situation very slightly worse.

I made sure no songs were playing when I carried out the optimisation, then closed Media Monkey, re-opened, and re-loaded the same album.

When I went ahead with the tagging, still only two seongs were tagged, and the song that had been playing just stopped, I thought it was going to crash again, but didn't!

Any other suggestions please?

Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you manually tag or use Auto-Tag from Web with the Discogs Addon? If the latter do other actions still trigger freezing/slowness/failure/crashes?
charmingnathan

Post by charmingnathan »

The method I usually use is to load all the songs from an album, highlight, then use the Ctrl+L function, so Auto-Tagging, I suppose.

I get all the tagging options offered, then click okay, and tagging takes place - usually without any issues at all.

I tend to let the songs play while I am tagging, and the most regular behaviour so far has been, that as soon as the tagging has taken place, Media Monkey just crashes.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but it is a fresh installation of the O.S. - only installed prior to the weekend?

Thanks again for your help.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check with the Addon if you're using the latest version. Anyway a debug log (step 4b) capturing the crash attached to a Support Ticket would be a good thing: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69
charmingnathan

Post by charmingnathan »

Thanks for the reply Lowlander.

I decided to leave off replying, until I had something intelligent to say on the matter as MediaMonkey seemed to improve somewhat, so I decided to process some cataloguing, before coming back to you.

However, I am not sure I have anything that more intelligent to say! It appears that MediaMonkey has stopped crashing, but is still not 'right'. The tagger frequently gets the wrong artist/title/album, and in the case of an album, gets the tracks in the wrong order.

I'd say it gets about one if five albums correct, with the right album tracks, and in the right order.

I hope that helps your troubleshooting, but doubt it somehow!

Thanks for trying to help.

Cheers.
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Works correctly for me.
DiscogsTagger 5.7.5.
MMW 4.1.29.1906

MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You'll have to report any tagging anomalies in the Addons thread as tagging is provided to third party taggers in MediaMonkey 4. MediaMonkey 5 (available as beta) has it's own build in tagger again.
charmingnathan

Post by charmingnathan »

It's always good to hear someone else's MediaMonkey is working fine, when yours isn't!

Thanks for the advice Lowlander, MediaMonkey has improved, but it's still not it's usual self - the crashing has stopped, but the tracks are still often in the wrong order.

However, as you state, I will report this in the Add-On's section.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.