Logging out causes program memory error; plus 7 other bugs/suggestions! [#16763][#16764][#16234]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

drakinite

Logging out causes program memory error; plus 7 other bugs/suggestions! [#16763][#16764][#16234]

Post by drakinite »

Build 2258: Here's a list of the feedback I have so far.
  • When I log out on Windows 10 with MM5 open, I get the error: "The instruction at 0x000000000085B522 referenced memory at 0x0000000000000008"
    I tried it multiple times and got the same result with the same exact message. I attempted to record more information with DbgView logged to file, but I think Windows closed DbgView before I got the error. Here's the log, though, if it helps:

Code: Select all

[
    00000003	12.83113956	[17892] Front app (capture) is now explorer immersive shell_traywnd
    00000004	12.90928268	[16128] COsInterface::SetApp: set Instance = 0x57cc (22476), AppID = 0, Name = MediaMonkey()
    00000005	12.91024017	[17892] SystemState::SetForegroundApp - set foreground instance: [22476]
    00000006	12.92892265	[17892] Front app (focus) is now mediamonkey tmediamonkeyinstancemanager
    00000007	13.69029713	[16128] COsInterface::SetApp: set Instance = 0xf14 (3860), AppID = 0, Name = explorer()
    00000008	13.69181919	[17892] Front app (capture) is now explorer immersive shell_traywnd
    00000009	16.60312080	[16128] COsInterface::SetApp: set Instance = 0x2e94 (11924), AppID = 0, Name = SearchApp()
    00000010	16.60387611	[17892] Front app (foreground) is now searchapp immersive windows.ui.core.corewindow
    00000011	17.68296623	[16128] COsInterface::SetApp: set Instance = 0x5678 (22136), AppID = 0, Name = StartMenuExperienceHost()
    00000012	17.68351936	[20280] ResetForegroundTimer: Check again after 2000 ms. 
    00000013	17.68368721	[17892] Front app (foreground) is now startmenuexperiencehost immersive windows.ui.core.corewindow
    00000014	18.02731514	[2580] MM5 [11600](R) Still waiting for event (callstacks) :
    00000015	18.02750778	[2580] MM5 [11600](R) Wait for event ID :1, delay :60000, callstack :

• Somehow, the icon for MM5 shows up way too big in the Windows 10 start menu. I don't quite understand how it does, since no other program is like that, but it's crazy weird.
    ImageImage
  • When changing skin, a large blank window shows up in the middle of the screen for a few seconds. (Maybe open the MediaMonkey splash screen instead?)
  • I think the Playing/Selected/Visualizer art toggle should be in tab format instead of dropdown. The first time I clicked on it to cycle through them, the visualizer popped up and took the entire screen and was a complete surprise. There should be 3 tabs instead of a dropdown.
  • Material Dark is a very nice skin, but the Now Playing scrubber needs to be moved down a few pixels— The hitbox for the scrub bar is infuriating, because it is below the bar itself. Also, I think increasing its contrast from the background a tiiiny bit would be helpful. Also, mousing over the scrub bar causes my CPU to ramp up to 20%, which is crazy. And the tooltip has an annoyingly low framerate.
    https://i.imgur.com/KsJvqfc.gifv
  • Feature request: Bring back double-clicking on the column browser to immediately play the selected group of music (e.g. album); however, if shuffle is enabled, I'd like the first song played to be randomized. (On MM4, if shuffle is enabled but I double-click on an album, it always plays song # 1 first.)
  • Feature request: Add tooltips for icons that don't have text next to them (shuffle, cast, filter, etc)
  • Feature request: Give skins customization options, which can be inputted in the skins menu under the dropdown list. For example, changing the font size or color theme. Skins could specify their customization options inside their pack in JSON, and the user's preferences can be saved in JSON that's read by the skin's custom js files. OR they could specify CSS variables that can be set by the user, since skin customization would most likely only be cosmetic. Or you could do both! :)
- Sincerely, a MediaMonkey lover (Please don't take all the critique personally! I just want to help! <3)
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
berni

Re: Logging out causes program memory error; plus 7 other bugs/suggestions!

Post by berni »

Hi,
also Build 2258
When I log out on Windows 10 with MM5 open, I get no error.
The icon for MM5 in the start menu is the same size as all others.
When I change my skin, I also see a large empty window in the center of the screen for a few seconds.
I use the Black Monkey Skin and all looks fine and no matter what I do with the mouse, the CPU does not exceed 6%.
Tooltips for symbols with no text next to them (mixing, converting, filtering, etc.) are available.

Feature request: Give skins customization options, which can be inputted in the skins menu under the dropdown list. For example, changing the font size or color theme. Skins could specify their customization options inside their pack in JSON, and the user's preferences can be saved in JSON that's read by the skin's custom js files. OR they could specify CSS variables that can be set by the user, since skin customization would most likely only be cosmetic. Or you could do both!

I'd like that too.

Best regards, Berni
My Homepage
Edition Windows 11 Pro Version 21H2
Prozessor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Systemtyp 64-Bit-Betriebssystem, x64-basierter Prozessor
MediaMonkey 5.1.0.2819
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

What CPU do you have?
Also, I have tooltips enabled, yet they don't work right. I tried changing to Black Monkey but got the same experience. Interestingly, when I recorded this, the first time I moused over the shuffle button it DID show a shuffle tooltip. That was the first time I ever saw the tooltip, but it didn't show up again. https://puu.sh/G1NgG/cd3d6d6c2b.mp4
As for the icon size, well, that's really weird. Honestly I'm confused as to how the icon could possibly be that large on my computer, because I thought it was impossible.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
berni

Post by berni »

My system:

Something is different on your PC.
For me, mouseover and the icon works fine.
Berni
My Homepage
Edition Windows 11 Pro Version 21H2
Prozessor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Systemtyp 64-Bit-Betriebssystem, x64-basierter Prozessor
MediaMonkey 5.1.0.2819
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

That explains your lower CPU usage; I have an i7-6700hq which is less than half as powerful as yours.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Hi. I have found how to reproduce problem with tooltips, tracked as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16763
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Problem during logout/shuthown already tracked as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16234
It is hard to find one. Strange also is, that it displays 64b memory addresses, but MM5 is 32bit application...

I don't see problem with tooltip frame rate or CPU load at all, for me it is fluent and it takes around 10% CPU during playback and mouse hovering. (i5-6500 with onboard GPU)

What do you mean by "scrubber"/"scrub bar"?

Icons in Windows startmenu have size based on your Windows settings, you can rightclick icon and change its size there.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Re frame rate of tooltip - just found out, it will be the same issue as not displaying it, so should be fixed with this then, I need also 125% zoom in Windows to reproduce its problematic display.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Double-click column filter added as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16764
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

MiPi wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:31 am Problem during logout/shuthown already tracked as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16234
It is hard to find one. Strange also is, that it displays 64b memory addresses, but MM5 is 32bit application...
Wow, weird. Well, at least it's being tracked! :)

MiPi wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:49 am Double-click column filter added as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16764
MiPi wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:13 am Hi. I have found how to reproduce problem with tooltips, tracked as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16763
Sweet!

MiPi wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:31 am
I don't see problem with tooltip frame rate or CPU load at all, for me it is fluent and it takes around 10% CPU during playback and mouse hovering. (i5-6500 with onboard GPU)

What do you mean by "scrubber"/"scrub bar"?
By "scrub bar" I mean this thing- The bar that displays the percentage of the song and that lets you click to change what time of the song that is playing. I honestly don't know what else to call it. I recorded a demonstration of what the framerate is like for the song-progress tooltip. The frame rate when the tooltips fade in is very low (under 10 fps). But the song progress tooltip becomes smooth after the fade-in animation has completed. https://puu.sh/G2fwi/456f58ee20.mp4

MiPi wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:31 am Icons in Windows startmenu have size based on your Windows settings, you can rightclick icon and change its size there.
This is what it looks like - The icon takes up the entire tile, whether the tile is medium or small; but no other program is like that. Strangely, Berni said that the icon in their start menu is the same size as all the others. I don't know what makes it different for me.

Also - Since you're here, there was an additional thread I started a few days ago with another display-related bug. I don't think anyone added it to the developer issues list yet.
https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=96860

Thanks for all the help and for listening!
Peke

Re: Logging out causes program memory error; plus 7 other bugs/suggestions! [#16763][#16764][#16234]

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Re Icon: MM5 Icon is made according to MS dimensions 150x150 along with latest windows specs and many other icons are still up to 96x96 :) So as Windows itself controls the size of Icon in Tile it shows best one that fit :) Do you have any suggestions?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Peke

Re: Logging out causes program memory error; plus 7 other bugs/suggestions! [#16763][#16764][#16234]

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Bugs [#16763][#16764] should be fixed in next MM5 version (build 2259+)
Best regards,
Peke
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Aha, I found out what it is! It looks like the large icon was entirely intentional.

Inside MediaMonkey.VisualElementsManifest.xml:

Code: Select all

<Application xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'>
  <VisualElements
      ShowNameOnSquare150x150Logo='on'
      Square150x150Logo='Assets\BigLogo.png'
      Square70x70Logo='Assets\StoreLogo.png'
      ForegroundText='light'
      BackgroundColor='#0078d7' />
</Application> 
Lo and behold, BigLogo.png and StoreLogo.png are the full-size icons that were perplexing all of us.

EDIT: Oh, whoops, now I see what you meant in the previous post. I didn't realize you were already aware of the intentional 150x150 png and you were asking for ideas as to why it was showing up that way. Facepalm aside, my suggestion is below:

I believe that Microsoft does a pretty good job at their Square150x150Logo and Square70x70Logo sizing/positioning; Maybe MM's logo could use the same sizing, to help promote a consistent design across the platform. Here, let me put them in this post so you can see:

VS Code:
Image Image
Office: (you can also look in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\LogoImages)
Image Image Image Image

...Also.. also.. ALSO–
I have a CRAZY idea.
What if different skins can have access to the logo files and/or background color? So if you use the Material Dark, the logo changes to be black and orange, but if you use Black Monkey, it goes to brown and light yellow, etc.
Here's an example of what I'm imagining:
Image Image
And yes- I will be setting the logo/background to that of the first image for my own install. I like it too much. ;P
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Oh gosh, that would be so cool. I don't know how responsive live tiles are in Windows; but if they don't have too much performance overhead and they take less than a second to change, we could even include currently playing song information on live tiles.
But even if that's not an option, updating the tile skin via the Windows live tile function would definitely be a possibility. The second and third links you sent detail stuff that's a bit out of date, for Windows 8; but it might still work on Win10. What runtime/API is MM5 using? (I can see that it's not using Node/Electron.) I'm not quite sure how easily we can get access to those live tiles if it's not a UWP or "Windows Runtime" app.