MMA cannot change SD card sync directory

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

pbpb

MMA cannot change SD card sync directory

Post by pbpb »

I have specified "\Music\<Artist> - <Title>" on SD card in MMW 4.1.28.1905. However, MMA 1.3.9.0924 (MMA pro 1.3.0017) persists in putting all music files into "\<Artist> - <Title>" on SD card.

Initially, MMA was putting all music files into the default directories. I didn't like that, so I changed the setting to
"\<Artist> - <Title>" on the assumption that that was relative to "\Music", but MMA then synced into "\<Artist> - <Title>". Ok, that's fine, my mistake. But...

Then, I changed the directory to "\Music\<Artist> - <Title>" and no matter what I do, short of deleting all MMA stored data (I did delete cache, and killed the proc -- "force stop"), or uninstalling and reinstalling, it persists in continuing to sync the files to "\<Artist> - <Title>". For the other types of files, I have not changed from the default directories. (I hesitate to delete data or uninstall/reinstall because play store may want me to buy pro all over again.)

In addition, some filesystems have a fairly low limit on the number files that can be stored at root, and with tens of thousands of files, I suspect I will exceed that limit.

What am I doing wrong, and how do I fix it?

MMW is running on win 7 64 bit.
MMA is running on Samsung Gal. S8, android 9.
syncing via wifi.

Thanks.
Lowlander

Re: MMA cannot change SD card sync directory

Post by Lowlander »

Did you enable the option to enforce mask for files already on device in the Device Profile in MMW? That would be needed to change the Path of files already on the device. New files should always use the new Mask.

Have you made sure you're editing the right Device Profile in MMW?
pbpb

Post by pbpb »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:29 pm Did you enable the option to enforce mask for files already on device in the Device Profile in MMW? That would be needed to change the Path of files already on the device. New files should always use the new Mask.
Nope. Thanks. Will do. (Unfortunately, I find almost all nomenclature used in MMW and especially MMA to be ambiguous and/or opaque. For example, in this case "enforce sync mask" could mean many things, at least to me.)
Lowlander wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:29 pm Have you made sure you're editing the right Device Profile in MMW?
Yes, absolutely. And, strangely enough, after my 3rd or 4th attempt (each time deleting all files on the device), it decided to write files to the desired place after writing the first 65 or so files to the wrong place. I have the feeling that the old location had been in cache in MMA and only eventually got refreshed. Or, that it was using an MMW server on a different machine although it claimed to be using the right one. (They both catalog the same data.)

Also, if you are still reading this, here's a related question, occasioned by the fact that MMA wanted to delete files:

I don't understand which of "auto sync server content" and "auto sync device content" really means what. Namely it's unclear to me which of these means "change device content to agree with server" and which means "change server content to agree with device." To me, "sync" is a bidirectional process, so by the wording I don't know which is which? In my case, I do not want the server content to ever be changed -- I take care of that manually on the server. (In the MMA file deletion request, it's unclear also to me whether it was asking to delete on the device or on the server, and in addition, iirc it doesn't tell me the path, so I don't know which files it actually wants to delete. It only tells me title and artist -- there may be several files with the same title and artist.)

Thanks for the help!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Use the Device Profile in MMW instead to setup, that's what I do. There it's clear as it will be on the tab to sync from device to PC.

"Auto sync device content" would mean to sync content from device to PC.
pbpb

Post by pbpb »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:14 am Use the Device Profile in MMW instead to setup, that's what I do. There it's clear as it will be on the tab to sync from device to PC.

"Auto sync device content" would mean to sync content from device to PC.
Thanks. I do do that. Would that override the setting in MMA if it is checked? Also, still curious which is which in MMA?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MMA and MMW sync settings are the same and saved in MMW.
pbpb

Post by pbpb »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:14 pm MMA and MMW sync settings are the same and saved in MMW.
Thanks, but although that's useful to know, I'm not entirely sure that answers my questions:

1. Which of the MMA settings does which thing?

2. It sounds like whichever one is set last overrides the other one, but does it? Isn't the setting in MMA sticky?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:14 am"Auto sync device content" would mean to sync content from device to PC.
2. Yes, as both modify the setting in MMW (saved in the MMW database) which ever changes last will be saved. The settings control both wifi and USB sync, are tied to a specific MediaMonkey Library (database) and are managed by MMW.
pbpb

Post by pbpb »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:27 pm 1.
Lowlander wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:14 am"Auto sync device content" would mean to sync content from device to PC.
2. Yes, as both modify the setting in MMW (saved in the MMW database) which ever changes last will be saved. The settings control both wifi and USB sync, are tied to a specific MediaMonkey Library (database) and are managed by MMW.
Thanks! Somehow I missed seeing the answer to #1 the first time.