Database Change Build 2261

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

serendip1959

Database Change Build 2261

Post by serendip1959 »

Installed build 2261 to find database empty. Investigation showed that on first running MM changes the DB path in the configuration file to point to MM5 irrespective of if a different name was used. Some time back MM5 converted my MM4 database in situ retaining the name, but in MM5 format. This database had been used until now. Not clear if it created a new MM5 database, but empty or if there was one in the folder already.
Lowlander

Re: Database Change Build 2261

Post by Lowlander »

Do you have a custom database setup in the ini?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

serendip1959 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:57 pm Installed build 2261 to find database empty. Investigation showed that on first running MM changes the DB path in the configuration file to point to MM5 irrespective of if a different name was used. Some time back MM5 converted my MM4 database in situ retaining the name, but in MM5 format. This database had been used until now. Not clear if it created a new MM5 database, but empty or if there was one in the folder already.
There has been two recent changes, that I am aware of, that may be affecting what you see.

Firstly the database name change that you mention. The MM5 db now has its own name to protect your MM4 database. If you had your MM4 in a custom location, or using a custom name, the database and settings importation feature in the MM5 install was upgrading your MM4 database to MM5 format. In the early releases of MM5 this had no impact upon MM4, but in later releases it does cause some small MM4 problems and error messages. ... The change to a new MM5-specific db name protects against this problem.

The second change regards MM5 installs in "portable" mode. By definition, a portable install should store everything within the portable directory that you nominate ... this should include the MM database. There was a problem up until recently, where a portable install of MM5 which was allowed to import settings from a MM4 setup which had its database in a custom location, was also putting the MM5 "portable" database into that custom location, rather than in the /portable directory within the MM5 portable folder that you had nominated. ... This is fixed now.

Does any of this account for what you are seeing. If no, you need to provide more information:
  • you are installing in portable or stand mode?
  • you saw the option to import data and setting from MM4? ... you replied Yes?
  • you are installing into an empty directory, or you are installing over the top of a previous MM5 set up?
I you want a MM5 database with a custom name, my guess is that the following would work, although I have not tested it:
  • install MM5 ... allow it to build your database with its standard name
  • close MM5
  • rename the database, and make the same changes to the ini file that you made in MM4
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
serendip1959

Post by serendip1959 »

Hi, Installed in standalone mode. This is not the first time using MM5, I have been running it for quite a few months now. Originally I had the MM4 database in a custom location, and an early MM5 install converted it in-situ so MM4 no longer worked. Not a problem. As you suggest the custom path and name was retained. The latest build corrrected this anomaly of insitu conversion of the MM4 database, and has installed a new MM5 database named MM5. Not a problem per se, but all my data remained in the custom database, so when launched it was empty.

I first tried resetting the path and name to what it was, but it simply reverted back to the MM5 db. Solution rename the custom named DB to MM5 and problem resolved.

Expected behaviour would be that if a custom named MM5 database was in use (only detailed in the MM5 config file) and it was desired to force naming to MM5 that it would copy or rename the database.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

serendip1959 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:53 pm Hi, Installed in standalone mode. This is not the first time using MM5, I have been running it for quite a few months now. Originally I had the MM4 database in a custom location, and an early MM5 install converted it in-situ so MM4 no longer worked. Not a problem. As you suggest the custom path and name was retained. The latest build corrrected this anomaly of insitu conversion of the MM4 database, and has installed a new MM5 database named MM5. Not a problem per se, but all my data remained in the custom database, so when launched it was empty.

I first tried resetting the path and name to what it was, but it simply reverted back to the MM5 db. Solution rename the custom named DB to MM5 and problem resolved.

Expected behaviour would be that if a custom named MM5 database was in use (only detailed in the MM5 config file) and it was desired to force naming to MM5 that it would copy or rename the database.
"standalone Mode" == "portable mode" ?

I suggest that "expected behaviour" should be that a portable install action, into an empty directory, would be to install the database within the portable directory, even if you elect to import data and settings from a MM4 installation which has its database in a custom location.

And that "expected behaviour" during portable startup, after the 1st startup, would be to respect any custom database location that you have applied to the ini file.

And if you installed a fresh version of MM5 portable, into a directory which already contained MM5, I would expect that it should retain the database, and that it should respect any custom location as per your MM5 ini file.

And that if you renamed the MM5.db file to a custom file name in the MM5 ini, that it should use your custom name.

And you are saying that this last thing doesn't happen. ... Correct?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
serendip1959

Post by serendip1959 »

Not a portable installation.

A further update. I have installed MM5 on a new laptop. The database is on a NAS drive so it can be accessed by both desktop and laptop. Not been a problem as long as I don't have both running at the same time. Laptop died so I have a new one. Installed MM5, then tried in the .ini file to set the DB path. MM5 (2262) ignores this, creates a new MM5.DB file in User profile. Tried deleting that DB but it just gets recreated.

DBName=\\MediaServer\Media\Media Monkey\MM5.DB - works fine on my desktop and old laptop, no longer working.

Is there another setting somewhere? Or are custom database locations no longer supported?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This should be fixed inb MM5 2263 where if custom /INIFILE command line is used MM5 do not convert custom DB path.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
serendip1959

Post by serendip1959 »

Thanks, I will look out for 2263
serendip1959

Post by serendip1959 »

Not resolved in Build 2264.

Add custom location to Ini file as DBName=\\MediaServer\Media\Media Monkey\MM5.DB in System group. Launch MM5 Build 2264 and entry is deleted from Ini file.

This doesn't happen on another PC, the custom DB path is respected. However, MM5 has been running on that machine for some time, on the other 2262 was the first installation.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Are you sure it's accessible from that computer ?
serendip1959 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:31 am Add custom location to Ini file as DBName=\\MediaServer\Media\Media Monkey\MM5.DB in System group. Launch MM5 Build 2264 and entry is deleted from Ini file.
This doesn't happen on another PC, the custom DB path is respected. However, MM5 has been running on that machine for some time, on the other 2262 was the first installation.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
serendip1959

Post by serendip1959 »

Thanks. The server was accessible using a drive letter but not as a UNC path. There was a hidden window prompting for network credentials that closed with MM.