Album art dowload always fails; used to work [#16878]

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

pbpb

Album art dowload always fails; used to work [#16878]

Post by pbpb »

Today MMA fails every time it looks for album art. In the past, this has succeeded very frequently. (I have a fairly newly made library; 99% of the tracks have not yet been played; none of them had album art to start with.)

I have 'lookup missing album art' set in the options. Looking up missing lyrics is working almost every the time. (BTW, it should really say "look up" not "lookup".)

I don't know how to troubleshoot this. I can imagine that the place from which album art is downloaded is simply down. Or, I can imagine that MMA is somehow wedged for that operation. Or, I can imagine that I have somehow misconfigured things. Or maybe my android settings are blocking it. Or even my router's firewall (which I have not changed since the time art was downloading well.)

So, how do I figure out what's wrong? It would help if I could manually try to connect to the place(s) from which it is downloading art, if only I knew where they were. Even could use telnet if necessary.

Thanks.

--peter
pbpb

Re: Album art dowload always fails; used to work

Post by pbpb »

I installed a sniffer on my phone (for non-encrypted traffic only) and it did not show any attempt from mma to access the outside world to download album art. Is it possible that for some reason it is being blocked from even accessing network for that, or is it that the requests are encrytped (say SSL, for example)?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I tried on my phones and Tablets and had no issues using ISP WiFi or Mobile Data plan.

EDIT: Stand corrected, I managed to replicate non found Album art see https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16878
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
pbpb

Post by pbpb »

Thanks.

I emphasize that on my phone, it used to work just fine, but now always fails.

Because my collection is a giant mess where album info is often missing or even wrong or bogus, I never know whether it should be able to find album art or not, so it's hard to say "aha for this track it should have found it," but it used to find it like at least 1/2 the time; now never.

I also note that the software on this phone was last updated on Aug 3, 2020, and it's entirely likely that when I noticed the problem it was the first time I had tried to download album art after that update. The phone is a Samsung galaxy s8. I also installed the beta of mma, which made no difference. It is still android 9, however. The update was I think some samsung "security" update, but I am not completely sure, so also could have come from google.

All the phones and tablets here are samsung, but I should maybe look into checking the behavior on another device. The problem, though, is local storage on the devices. I may need to acquire some more sd cards.
ShadeD123

Post by ShadeD123 »

Having the same problem with my Pixel 4xl. Used to work until a week(ish) ago
pbpb

Post by pbpb »

@Peke: I am not sure the issue you observed is the same as the issue I am having. Let me be more precise...

Behavior when it was working "correctly":
1. Click (touch) a track without album art, either from track list or other list.
2. Track begins to play.
3. Click player subscreen to reach full track playing screen with full size album art box.
4. Throbber ('thinking icon') runs in album art box.
5. Throbber ends, and either album art is displayed, or no album art is displayed.
6. If unhappy with album art (for example, obviously wrong art), long press album art box.
7. "delete art" dialog appears. click yes.
8. Sometimes throbber again runs, if so sometimes finds album art sometimes not.
9. Playing track again does not search for album art. (This may be the issue you noticed.)

Behavior now when allegedly broken:
1. Click (touch) a track without album art, either from track list or other list.
2. Track begins to play.
3. Click player subscreen to reach full track playing screen with full size album art box.
4. Throbber ('thinking icon') runs in album art box.
5. Throbber ends, *no album art is displayed.*
pbpb

Post by pbpb »

Fixed as of build 933 for me! (beta)

However, the amount of time it now takes to find the album art is at least double of what it used to be previously
ShadeD123

Post by ShadeD123 »

Ditto here. It finds the art again but it is slower than it used to be
pbpb wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:14 pm Fixed as of build 933 for me! (beta)

However, the amount of time it now takes to find the album art is at least double of what it used to be previously
Peke

Post by Peke »

ShadeD123 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:00 pm Ditto here. It finds the art again but it is slower than it used to be
pbpb wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:14 pm However, the amount of time it now takes to find the album art is at least double of what it used to be previously
I reopened the bug to address slowness. Thx for reporting.

BUG https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16878
Best regards,
Peke
pbpb

Re: Album art dowload always fails; used to work [#16878]

Post by pbpb »

Thanks. Sometimes it keeps running without success the entire length of the track -- I've observed 3 minutes. Another time, when track was paused, something like 15 minutes.

I also noticed another problem. At some point, there was some kind of crash, and mma could not play any track at all. The indexes were shown, but clicking yielded the frame for playing, but no playing. Killing mma and cache did not help. I did not want to look up where other mma data on the device is stored to delete that, so I just rebooted the device, which solved the problem. I also observed that file managers at that time were not able to display the very large (23k tracks) dir that mma was also trying to access. Makes me think that maybe mma was in some loop monopolizing system dir lookup? Unfortunately, it's very unclear to me whether mma is running in the background at any given time, or has been completely killed.
pbpb

Post by pbpb »

Long wait time is now fixed in build 935. Thanks! In fact, it now seems faster than it ever was based on the first 3 or 4 I tried.

--peter
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
THX for confirmation.
Best regards,
Peke
zobocop

Post by zobocop »

I would also like to add that album art seems to be back to normal. I had transferred my library to a new phone and lost all the metadata, then recovered it using the mmstore.db file, but had no album art at all. Today I notice that they have all returned.