B0027 - Missed Click Event Selecting Rating

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

CosmicKnowledge

B0027 - Missed Click Event Selecting Rating

Post by CosmicKnowledge »

B0027 - Missed Click Event Selecting Rating. I clicked on a song's rating on the file browser. It looked like it took the change but I quickly clicked on the row-cell for Mood and it completely dropped the Rating selection I had made. It seems the lag of the GUI is resulting in missed events?
EDIT 1: After I selected Mood, waited a few seconds to continue listening to the selected song, I then double clicked on the next song and it erased the Mood selection I had just made. This didn't appear to be GUI lag related since I had waited a few seconds.
EDIT 2: After letting it auto-play to the 3rd song, I double clicked on the 2nd song to play it, and the Mood cell contents for Song 1 completely disappeared.
EDIT 3: I changed songs and Song 1 Mood contents re-appeared. I double clicked on Song 2 to play it, then let it auto-play into Song 3 and Song 1's Mood contents disappeared again. Individual cells that were once populated appear to be dropping contents semi-randomly... it seems to affect recently manipulated files.

I don't understand the general lag in all GUI elements in MM5. GUIs I coded myself from the ground up in Turbo Pascal, Visual Basic, and other interpreted languages in 1995 on a 286 were faster, despite having the same or more visual complexity as the new minimalistic Windows GUI. Is some debug mode enabled that slows everything down? MM4 has a slow GUI but it always caught up within milliseconds, for the most part (except for file operations). In MM5, the GUI can lag up to 40 seconds (so far).
Lowlander

Re: B0027 - Missed Click Event Selecting Rating

Post by Lowlander »

Did you run a database optimization yet and which build of MM5?
CosmicKnowledge

Lowlander wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:35 pm Did you run a database optimization yet and which build of MM5?
No.

Also, I'm not really using the database per sey on my laptop. I use MM on my laptop on the road to classify music on the road, which is half the month for me. I use file mode to do all the classifying and tidying of various aspects of music.

I add the songs to the main MM4 install on my Media Center PC at home later on.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

CosmicKnowledge wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:50 pm I use file mode to do all the classifying and tidying of various aspects of music.
Do you mean the My Computer node? And as mentioned before you're on an old release.
CosmicKnowledge

Getting .2264 now.

Node Tree --> Folders --> E:\ --> ...........
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you're accessing to Folder (old My Computer in MM4) than you're accessing files directly. However if the files are also scanned into the Library the Library would still be involved and it would be a slower process as you have to read things from the files themselves (this is slower than a database read). The more files you're handing in Folders the slower things get as more files need to be read individually, while any tagging would still involve the database as pre-existing values are read from it.
CosmicKnowledge

I don't have My Computer in MM5. I only have:
[*]Home
[*]Playing
[*]Music
[*]Music Video
[*]Video
[*]TV
[*]Playlists
[*]Devices & Services
[*]Folders
[*]Web
[*]Pinned
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Folders = My Computer
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
CosmicKnowledge

Lowlander wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:35 pm Did you run a database optimization yet and which build of MM5?
I now have 2264 and the database was optimized. Prior to optimization it was only 1 MB (megabyte).

Problems with lag still persist. In fact, now it's perpetually crashing hard.
CosmicKnowledge

PetrCBR wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:14 pm Folders = My Computer
Maybe they should call it "DIRECT FILESYSTEM". There's a few labels that are not intuitive anymore based on their name.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Capture lags and crashes in a debug log: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643

Folders is consistent with MMA naming where My Computer would not make sense.
CosmicKnowledge

Lowlander wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:19 pm Capture lags and crashes in a debug log: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643

Folders is consistent with MMA naming where My Computer would not make sense.
Ok, but keep in mind I am a customer, not an employee. Software companies need to get away from thinking they can use customers as unpaid beta testers. MM is not open-source, it's a commercial product. I gladly spend time on open-source stuff. I normally charge $350/hr for my time. I've already spent hours documenting bugs that shouldn't exist in a beta version, so I expect my requests will be integrated into the software prior to release.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Without the logs it may not get fixed. You're under no obligation to do anything, but the point of a public beta is exactly that users get to help find and report bugs. Debug logs are what helps this process with MediaMonkey. Otherwise you're relying on someone else coming across the same issue, which may not happen.
CosmicKnowledge

Lowlander wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:49 pm Without the logs it may not get fixed. You're under no obligation to do anything, but the point of a public beta is exactly that users get to help find and report bugs. Debug logs are what helps this process with MediaMonkey. Otherwise you're relying on someone else coming across the same issue, which may not happen.
I started uploading all the bugs with logs but it looks like the support/ticket website has died. It's still not fixed as of today.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is a server migration on the way as well as it's summer holidays so the person responsible may be on holidays. There's also not been a new release yet.