Trying MM5 After MM4

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

musziqluvher

Re: Trying MM5 After MM4

Post by musziqluvher »

drakinite wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:56 am Also, if that doesn't work, you can go into your AppData folder(s) and delete the folder named MediaMonkey 5.
So far, the portable installation worked when I was able to DL the current installer. I'll do that next time tho. That's the solution I was lookin for. I just forgot where to look for it.
MMW 5.0.4.2690 | MMA 2.0.0.1063

MM Remote 2.9 | Android 13
MMW Gold | MMA Pro
Win11 64b
hulk69

Post by hulk69 »

My main issue with the new MM5 is startup time is above 10s (even on a very fast machine). This is unacceptable for a simple music player in 2020.

The other problem is the sheer complexity of the interface. Ok you can modify it but who wants to spend 2h dealing with a failed GUI

For the moment I reverted to Groove music who starts up in less than a second and has a consistent and simple GUI
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

How many files in the Now Playing, how many files in the Filelisting and what node is selected and did you load your whole Library into Groove?
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

I strongly disagree that MediaMonkey is a "simple" music player. It's a management tool for your entire library; not something simple like Windows Media Player.

However, if the loading time IS improved, that would make me very happy. So I'm not saying that there isn't room for improvement in that regard.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
musziqluvher

Post by musziqluvher »

Interesting. I never considered the start time as bad. I just clocked mine for GP to see. It was about 10s as well. However, I would agree with drakinite. It's definitely not a simple music player. My computer (10 yr old Asus G73JW notebook) is pretty much always on and my MW is always open (I'm always playing music), so I never really had issues with load times. Now that you mention it, tho, I am curious to know what could possibly speed up the load time...

MMW Gold | MMA Pro
Win11 64b
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

I think the most significant way that load time could be improved is by changing the order in which things are loaded.
Visual Studio Code is a good example of such. It prioritizes the loading of the UI and the state that it was in the last time it was opened (The files that are open). But all the back-end stuff (plugins, Git tree, and the IntelliSense code analysis stuff) loads asynchronously after the main UI has opened. So the user can immediately get started with editing files within the first 2 seconds; but it will take up to 10-15 seconds for that code analysis/assist stuff to show up.

Theoretically, MM could open the UI first; and have some sort of quickly-loading cache with the now playing list, and the library etc. that were from the last time MediaMonkey was open. Then after the Immediately Necessary stuff opens, all the complex back-end stuff can begin processing.

But goodness is it way easier said than done. I can only begin to imagine how complex a problem this would be to solve. To make a user interface load within 2 seconds that can be interacted with, and where music can be playee, before most of the core/database loads. I don't blame them if they don't want to attempt that idea, because it would probably introduce a ton of bugs and headaches.
(Though, it would definitely make the user experience a lot nicer.)
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
musziqluvher

Post by musziqluvher »

Alright team MM. I'm ready to dive into MM5 headfirst. I've been using it for awhile now and It's good enough for me to ditch MM4. I want to keep my current MM5 portable DB/settings. When I do a regular install, I'm not seeing the DB information from the portable install. Can I just copy the DB over to the regular install MM5 folder? How can I do this?

MMW Gold | MMA Pro
Win11 64b
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, you can copy the database over from 1 MM5 install to another MM5 install, default locations remain the same as MM4: http://oldsvr.mediamonkey.com/support/i ... -ini-files
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Default locations for MM5 are slightly different:

Regular mode:
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5\MM5.DB
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5\MediaMonkey.ini
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5\persistent.json

Portable Mode:
<MediaMonkey Portable Install Folder>\Portable\MM5.DB
<MediaMonkey Portable Install Folder>\Portable\MediaMonkey.ini
<MediaMonkey Portable Install Folder>\Portable\persistent.json

If you want to re-import current MM4 settings then delete \AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey5\ and it will ask you to import the settings from MM4 on next MM5 startup
musziqluvher

Post by musziqluvher »

Well..........I performed it in a way which is probably not recommended, lol. I just copied the DB file, deleted the MM5 portable folder installation, and then did a fresh install of the latest MM5. So far it seems all the pertinent settings are intact...

MMW Gold | MMA Pro
Win11 64b
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's perfectly fine. A Portable Install isn't installed, thus you just delete the folder it's installed in.
musziqluvher

Post by musziqluvher »

Soooooo, long story, short, I ended up "resetting" my WIN10 to get a relatively fresh start. I've copied the previously mentioned folders over. The drive name is the same (but I guess that serial is different), and the folder structure is exactly the same.
However, the references in my library aren't accurate. I've attached a screenshot. How can I fix these? is there a file that I can edit to just replace the text "[Main]" with "D:"
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vw2xha9hb4db ... 6.png?dl=0

MMW Gold | MMA Pro
Win11 64b
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Go to Music > Location, right click on the drive and use Media Properties to set it to use the correct location on your PC.
musziqluvher

Post by musziqluvher »

Hmm. Now that I look at it again, this seems to just be a problem in my playlists inside MM. I tried using the file locator before but when I was lazy and just used the high level folder (d:) it ended up making some funky matches, from other folders, that weren't even relatively close. I ended up overwriting music with other files. I want to avoid that if possible.

MMW Gold | MMA Pro
Win11 64b
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then it sounds you rescanned files and now have duplicates?

In that case you may want to start with creating a backup of the database file. The remove the working entries from the Library and then apply the above suggested fix for the non-working copies.