Inconsistent use of icons for view mode switching

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

xor
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:41 pm

Inconsistent use of icons for view mode switching

Post by xor »

Just a minor, slightly confusing UI issue:

The view mode buttons in the top right corner display what I will get if clicking on them for the expand albums button (circled in black in the screenshot below), but display what I currently see for the view mode button (circled in red in the screenshot below):
Image

I think buttons should consistently show what I will get if I click on them (i.e. like it is for the expand icon).
Ludek
Posts: 4919
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:00 am

Re: Inconsistent use of icons for view mode switching

Post by Ludek »

I don't think so, the view button should always show the actively selected view. It would be very confusing to show icon of a view that isn't selected. Also I don't know any app that wouldn't show the active view icon this way.
xor
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:41 pm

Re: Inconsistent use of icons for view mode switching

Post by xor »

Ludek wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:48 pm I don't think so, the view button should always show the actively selected view. It would be very confusing to show icon of a view that isn't selected. Also I don't know any app that wouldn't show the active view icon this way.
Well, the button I circled in black does in fact not show the current view state, but the state you will get by clicking on it.

I think it is only common practice to highlight the current state if you have some kid of a selector list.

For a simple button, I think it is unusual to show the current state. How would not know what will happen if you click on it?
Barry4679
Posts: 2386
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:07 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Inconsistent use of icons for view mode switching

Post by Barry4679 »

xor wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:11 pm Well, the button I circled in black does in fact not show the current view state, but the state you will get by clicking on it.
I think it is only common practice to highlight the current state if you have some kid of a selector list.
For a simple button, I think it is unusual to show the current state.
I agree that it is confusing to have the the expand|contract control working opposite to the View control next to it.

I don't agree your point about simple toggle buttons. ... Think of the Bold|Normal button on a text editor. Its state always documents whichever state the text editor is currently set to. .... anything else would be confusing IMO ... ie. they should correct the MM5 expand|contract control behaviour.


xor wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:11 pm How would not know what will happen if you click on it?
That's what the hover tool tip is for.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
xor
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:41 pm

Re: Inconsistent use of icons for view mode switching

Post by xor »

Barry4679 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:36 pm I don't agree your point about simple toggle buttons. ... Think of the Bold|Normal button on a text editor. Its state always documents whichever state the text editor is currently set to. .... anything else would be confusing IMO
I disagree: The mentioned "Bold" button in text editors is very different, because it is a toggle button. It is clear that you can turn "Bold" on or off by clicking on it in this case.

The MM5 view button resembles something like the "format template" button in a word processor, and that in fact always indicates the current format template for the paragraph.

However, I think the best solution would in fact be a list of available views that the user can pick from. There is not reason why the user should cycle through the views in a certain order. Let the user pick the view he wants directly!
Barry4679
Posts: 2386
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:07 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Inconsistent use of icons for view mode switching

Post by Barry4679 »

xor wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:38 am I disagree: The mentioned "Bold" button in text editors is very different, because it is a toggle button. It is clear that you can turn "Bold" on or off by clicking on it in this case.
Actually I think that we do agree. I was referring to the Expand|Contract control that, you had circled in black. That is a toggle button.

xor wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:38 am I think the best solution would in fact be a list of available views that the user can pick from. There is not reason why the user should cycle through the views in a certain order. Let the user pick the view he wants directly!
You can directly pick the View. The next control on the right is a dropdown menu, which has a list of all views, and you can pick from that list.

Going back to the text editor analogy, the font picker is similar to the MM View control. The font picker is usually a text box with a dropdown list. ... The click behaviour for the MM5 View icon could open a dropdown list I suppose, like most of the controls on the Page Layout flavour in the Excel tool bar ... not that anyone would hold up Excel to be a exemplar of best practice I suppose? :D
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Post Reply