Storing library on Nvidia Shield external HDD

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

tbm72

Storing library on Nvidia Shield external HDD

Post by tbm72 »

Just bought an Nvidia Shield Pro this week and I'm wondering about using it in conjunction with MM5. I know very little about local networks but my basic idea was to move my music library away from my PC and onto a HDD attached to the Shield. The main MM5 will still run from the PC,

At present I can see the HDD attached to my Shield on the network from my Windows PC with no problem so I was going to try a small test with a 2nd portable MM5 install on the PC. As long as I do the 2nd MM5 portable install to a separate folder on my PC, is it likely to interfere or mess up my main working portable MM5 installation?

It's probably a stupid question but will MM5 work OK accessing the library when it's stored on the Shield's external HDD? I can't see that it's really any different from accessing the library on my PCs external HDD but I'm sure you guys have some experience of any potential issues (if any).
Lowlander

Re: Storing library on Nvidia Shield external HDD

Post by Lowlander »

1) There is no issue running a portable and regular install when installed in separate folders.

2) An external drive (USB) to the PC is likely faster than an external drive attached to the Shield shared over the network. What's the reason for attaching it to the Shield instead of the PC?
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Thanks, I'll try doing some testing then.

The reason for using the USB drive on the Shield is that the Shield will be permanently powered on. Currently my library is stored on my PC's HDD which is in my studio and I only turn it on when I'm working so it's not suitable to setup as a server.

I was just thinking that if I move my music library over to the Shield's USB drive, I can maybe use MM from my PC to manage the content on the Shield's USB drive and then point Plex at it to be able to access my music 24/7. I don't know if that's too convoluted a process but it seemed the best way to manage it.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you have a third party acting on it, the setup makes sense and MediaMonkey can work with files on network file shares.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

I'm testing moving my library over to the Shield's USB drive but not sure I'm following the correct procedure. I'm starting by doing it on a small subset Collection of my library (Audiobooks) just to make sure it works OK.

So at present my Audiobooks are stored on my PC's hard drive in subfolders here:

E:\My Library\Audiobooks

I've then manually copied this folder (including all subfolders) over to my Shield's drive:

L:\My Library\Audiobooks

How do I tell MM to now update the location of this library collection to the new drive?

It looks like if I use Auto-Organize that will copy all the files over again within MM. Is it possible to just tell MM to change the original 'C:\My Library\Audiobooks' part of the file location to 'L:\My Library\Audiobooks'?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The easiest is to use MediaMonkey to move the files in the first place: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... enames/5.0

If you already moved all files from the E drive to the L drive you can change the driveID: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sign_Drive

If you only moved some of the files you can use Locate Moved/Missing Files instead: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... sing_Files
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Perfect, thank you!