Chromecast problem returned

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MabelVanA

Chromecast problem returned

Post by MabelVanA »

Hi all,
I updated MM5 as per instruction (v. 5.0.2.2531; didn't behave like an update, more like a new install) and now a bug is back which I thought I got rid of by installing version 5.
My setup is this: I run MM5 on a PC as 'mediaserver'. I use MM-A on my phone to cast music to a Chromecast which plays the music over my sound-system. The error on my phone: "Skipping track xxx; not accepted by the receiver". With version 4 this error only occurred with tracks in 24/96 FLAC format, but not with mp3. Version 5 got rid of this error - I was so glad. Yet there were other problems with the DNLA-server (as signalled in another recent posting here and I could add a few) and so I was looking forward to an update. But now the error is back with a vengeance: this time ALL tracks give the error, in other words 'casting' to the Chromecast doesn't work anymore!
When using the Plex mediaserver (still using MM-A on my phone to 'cast' to the Chromecast) the tracks play without a hitch.
So why not use the Plex server? Because with MM server the options to find the music are far superior; the Plex server is rather hopeless by comparison. I much like MM and this seems such a simple bug to redress, so I keep hoping.
Yet, for over 6 years I've been trying to get my setup to work as it should and it still is a shambles because of software bugs. I'm getting just a little bit frustrated and can only hope someone can help with some kind of remedie.
Mabel
Lowlander

Re: Chromecast problem returned

Post by Lowlander »

Can MediaMonkey 5 cast successfully directly to the device?
MabelVanA

Post by MabelVanA »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:20 pm Can MediaMonkey 5 cast successfully directly to the device?
Sorry I took this long to answer but the results of my experiments were really weird and I didn't trust them at first.
I always used the same tracks to test; here the results:
1. I updated MM5 on my (windows) laptop to v. 5.0.2.2531. First tried MM5-server. Track played OK on the laptop, so I then tried casting. The error message was more detailed now in that it mentioned the Chromecast by name and stated that file xxx could not be decoded.
I then tried the Plex server (still using MM5 on the laptop) and now I got the same error!
I then tried VLC player with Plex and the files played over the Chromecast.

2. Then it ocurred to me that by 'direct' you may have meant to try MM5 on the 'server' computer. I used the library (not the folders) and this time the track played fine over the Chromecast.

3. Finally, the very odd result of an accidental experiment (and I don't know whether it's of any help). I was writing this answer in my office from where I connect to my home-network with a VPN-connection. Realising that I forgot to take down the exact wording of the errormessage I started MM5 on my laptop again, connected to MM5-server at home and tried casting to the ChromeCast at home. Of course, I expected to see the error again, but instead it worked! To the befuddlement of my partner at home who was watching a movie over the Chromecast :-)
I couldn't understand this, so at home I once more tried what I described under 1. and again got the error.

4. Getting somewhat befuddled myself, I verified the behaviour described in my original question, this time with 2 smartphones, but the result was as I described: no casting possible of any track.

I sincerely hope all this doesn't perplex you as much as it did me :-)
Mabel
PS: When 'casting' from the server-PC I noticed an oddity: I got the choice of all three Chromecasts in our home, although 2 of them were not active. With MM5 on my laptop and MM-A on my phone I only see the active Chromecasts.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please capture the failure to cast in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643

This will help a developer analyze why this fails in your setup.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Probably it has something to do with IP address used by the server, you can experiment with it in
MM5 > Options > Media Sharing , double-click the server and check the 'Server' tab for configured IP/NAT interface.
Also your router might change the dynamic IP of your devices durning test (less probably)?

And also auto-conversion for unsupported format can have an impact, i.e.
MM5 > Options > Media Sharing , double-click the server and check the 'Auto-conversion' tab which rules are enabled there.

Anyhow the log would probably shed more light on it.
MabelVanA

Post by MabelVanA »

Not very gracefully I didn't pursue this issue as nothing seemed to explain, let alone remedy, the spurious behaviour I described. It drove me mad that sometimes, after changing some settings, the problem disappeared for some time, only to creep up again the next day.
It was so annoying that I took to using a different server (Plex) which had no such issues with the ChromeCast, but it's far more primitive then MM, so I recently I tried again. Amazingly, the problem seems to have been solved (but it's early days).
I can think of two reasons:
1. Updates in MMW5. (In that case it must have been a genuine 'bug' but I didn't read anaything about that)
2. I made a wired connection from the LAN to the ChromeCast. But if this did the trick, it doesn't explain why Plex worked while MM did not. And it doesn't excuse the totally unhelpful errormessages 'Skipped track; codec not available'.
But anyway I'm grateful and took to using MMA and MMW5-server again. I just hope I don't get punished for this optimistic post by seeing the error again tonight :-)
Mabel
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
To answer your doubts:
1. Most likely the new installation correctly set firewall rules and allowed MM to be seen like PLEX and we constantly improve MM to make user experience better, so you are most likely right about some bugs and tweaks are available not that were not available previously.
2. Unfortunately 'Skipped track; codec not available' is error message from cast device not from MM and we just show it to user :( You can check if that device support such format of tracks (add several of same type and play) MM5 debug log would be most welcome as it will possibly show us what files fail and we can investigate. PLEX transcode files where MM try to send original format for best quality.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MabelVanA

Post by MabelVanA »

So nice of you to respond; thanks a lot.
But I didn't get the second part of your mail (2.) though, where you said "Unfortunately 'Skipped track; codec not available' is error message from cast device not from MM".
I can't judge that, but the message is WRONG and should NOT be passed on, let alone hamper the functionality. As I explained, other software didn't have the problem; you suppose Plex may have been doing some transcoding, but that is a dead end. Not only fall all files within the specs of the ChromeCast, but also I used VLC player without a mediaserver by simply opening the file on a share on the server. When switching to 'casting' the ChromeCast (admittedly to my amazement) found the file on the server and played it - no mediaserver or other device or software involved. In fact, this is how I've been playing music for years, until I got weary of finding music in my increasingly obscure folder system and decided I needed a proper 'mediaserver'.
Moreover - and that may be even more convincing - I described that the error with MM occurred 'now and again' and that it seems to be gone now. So it's obvious that the ChromeCast has no trouble interpreting the file(s).
But maybe by 'cast device' you meant my phone? In that case, the error is even more clearly the fault of MM - of MM-A or, as I suspect, of MMW5-server.
Thanks a lot for listening!
Mabel
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You are maybe right, I really hope you are right as then we would know it is a bug and we could fix it.

I was just reviewing our tests results and feedbacks from users, assuming wrongly I guess because we could not replicate :(

Please open support ticket and supply LOGS from both MM5 and MMA (from About MMA you can send logs and just write down ID so that we can pair it with MM5 logs). That should give us enough info on what is going on.
Best regards,
Peke
MabelVanA

Post by MabelVanA »

Thanks Pete; (un)fortunately the problem seems to have been solved now. But I promise I'll never complain about a supposed bug again without including an errorlog!
Mabel
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
That is why we are here and why we check if there is a reason to the claims. Not all are computer iterate and now wishing to do the tests on a first sight. As someone said "Better to blow on cold soup, than burn a tongue on a hot one!"
Best regards,
Peke