MM v5.0.2.2531 Transport and Audio Anomalies

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

telstar

MM v5.0.2.2531 Transport and Audio Anomalies

Post by telstar »

Hello & thanks for looking.

There are some flaky things going on with MM in the transport mode. I am running the latest MM version, Windows 11 and a high performance laptop PC. No other apps are running in the foreground.

Latest Windows 11, v21H1, OS Build 19043.1466: MM Operation issues on latest MM v5.0.2.2531: Very stable operating environment, UPS & Automatic Voltage Regulator.

I’ve searched the forum and I have not found anything of significance compared to my problems.

MM Audio Stuttering:

Playing MM: When fixing tags and other activity, like Options, in MM the audio stutters/skips when I exit the Options dialog. It is highly repeatable. The timing ball also slightly jumps ahead as Options is closed. Testing other applications' dialogs within Windows, with MM playing, (i.e., Groove Music Player, MSWord, Googling, etc.), no stuttering/skipping of music occurs in MM.

Also, if I have MM running in the background (not playing), I’ll play a song in Windows Groove Player and start clicking Options within MM and I hear no stuttering in Groove Music. Dialogs within Groove Player are minimal and it’s dialog boxes have no affect on sound. This was a test, don’t know if it has any merit.

WASAPI Sound module:
I prefer not to use Shared mode, because the sounds the computer makes.
My Setup:
MM WASAPI Output plug-in, I’ve bumped the buffers up slightly.
Event driven Exclusive mode checked, Pull Mode Buffer=20ms, Push Mode Buffer=120ms
Shared mode un-checked

Playback anomalies/space-bar
Track is playing, audio completely drops out. The tracking dot continues moving (without sound). The song ends; doesn't move onto the next song in the playlist.

Stopping MM with the space-bar: When I stop playing using the space-bar and press the space-bar again the song will continue but stops at song end (this is not always repeatable). While the song plays, the tracking dot stops working. Then when the song ends, the play-pause button doesn’t change when the song ends (remains in pause mode). Toggling the start/stop button, or space-bar, on MM does nothing. MM does not continue playing and advancing to the next song on the playlist. Double clicking on the next song will start the playlist again.

Sometime after the song stops, like in the previous paragraph, after several moments, MM will start up again on its own & play without me taking any action to manually play the next song. The song list will play on. (FYI: none of the .mp3 songs have leading or following time gaps.) It makes me think a timer has gone awry. This has only happened a few times.

Another observation: When I pause playing, the tracking dot stops (as you’d expect). As you would expect, when you restart the song, the tracking dot should continue on from it’s stopped point. For an example, the song was stopped a 50-sec, but when I start the song after pause the dot immediately jumps to 1:01 minutes. Note: the dot’s jump time distance is random. As I am writing this message, I stopped the song playing at 2:00; startup again started at 2:19; even though the dot should have started from 2:00.

Lastly, when MM is acting up, but still playing songs, the scrolling of the playlist stops, therefore you do not see the song that is playing in the playlist…..it’s down the list and out of sight.

There may be other sequences that affect the transport and stuttering audio, but I can’t say for sure. It took me a little while to get a handle on and identify several of the sequences above. If you think there are inconsistencies in my descriptions, there might be, however, each instance observed was real.

Does anyone know what the heck is going on? Thanks for your help.

Best…..
Telstar

Operating System: Windows 11 Home 64-bit, CPU: Intel Core i9 @ 3.50GHz Skylake Technology, RAM: 64.0GB
Motherboard: Notebook X170KM-G, Graphics: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Storage: 931GB Samsung SSD 980 PRO-1TB, 1863GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus-2TB, 1863GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus-2TB
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio (internal)
telstar

Re: MM v5.0.2.2531 Transport and Audio Anomalies

Post by telstar »

Update to original message:
Note: These comments pertain to my system and can not guarantee the same results on other computers.

Options >> Audio Output (plugin-ins)
  • WASAPI: Tested Exclusive mode and Shared mode and varied up & down the buffer settings: Both experienced the same problems as reported in original message. Outcome: Unacceptable performance given current version of driver.

DirectSound: Transport performed better than WASAPI, however, audio was staticky throughout. Audio levels were very low and had to be raised near maximum. This could be a problem if going to other audio sources like youTube while in MM. The volume could over power the speaker system. Outcome: Unacceptable performance given current version of driver.

waveOut, v2.0.2a: Transport worked better, however, it started misbehaving & performed as previously mentioned (tracking ball not moving playlist(hung) but audio was clear. Audio levels were very low and had to be raised near maximum. This could be a problem if going to other audio sources, like youTube, while in MM. The volume could over power the speaker system. Outcome: Unreliable. Unacceptable performance given current version of driver.
Could it be Windows v11? Would there be another driver to use, or is it just a stab in the dark hoping one will work?
Telstar

Operating System: Windows 11 Home 64-bit, CPU: Intel Core i9 @ 3.50GHz Skylake Technology, RAM: 64.0GB
Motherboard: Notebook X170KM-G, Graphics: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Storage: 931GB Samsung SSD 980 PRO-1TB, 1863GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus-2TB, 1863GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus-2TB
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I would not be surprised that Win 11 was culprit, can you please let us know what is make and modeo of sound card, I have 2 External USB sound cards and do not observe such issues.

EDIT: Also try to right click on Speaker icon -> Volume Mixer -> And see if MM volume it turned down. If that exist in Win 11 :)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
telstar

Post by telstar »

Hi and thanks for getting back to me :D

I am not using an external soundcard at this point; using headphone out for now. I have not had time to hook-up either interface (Edirol, Motu - drivers for Win11?). For casual listening I prefer not to have to deal with an external interface. My goal is to haul less hardware around.

I have spent time moving my MMv4 to a new laptop, installing, updating data & MMv5 to work smoothly. Thanks to MM Peke for getting me sorted out moving MMv5 & data to the new laptop.

As far as audio, FYI, the motherboard manufacturer and model number are shown below:

Manufacturer Clevo
Model X170KM-G (U3E1)

Details for onboard audio:
Audio
Sound Cards
Realtek High Definition Audio
USB Audio 2.0
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Playback Devices
Speakers (SXFI Headphone Audio) (default)
Speakers (Realtek Audio)
Recording Device
Microphone (Realtek Audio)

As far as the 'Sound Mixer' change, I am not sure because I've made changes to volume to get sound normalized. I can say for sure, when opening/initiating YouTube for the first time, it will completely overpower MM at max volume. Note: When I change the volume of youTube it will stay constant until I shut down the PC and then the loud volume comes back when youTube restarted. I'll pay closer attention to this behavior.

One last thing regarding MMv5 behavior, I just noticed when the screen saver was on and I came back to MM, MM started to acting up again. I'll keep my eye on this.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!
Telstar

Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
First I would like to express my gratitude to all those manufacturers that finally came make modded Laptops like yours
https://www.avadirect.com/Clevo-X170KM- ... e/13999465 also I think that it is still too expensive, no matter how much I like the initiative.

Hmm based on brief look I suspect on Sound Blaster Atlas super X-Fi enhancements conflicts with MM audio output.

Can you please open support ticket so that we can go into more details?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
telstar

Post by telstar »

Hi Peke, thanks for your help.

How do I open a Support Ticket? I've looked around the site, but do not see anything which pertains to support tickets??

Yes you are correct; Sound Blaster Atlas Audio & Super X-Fi Technology.

I've used Clevo since 2008; WinXP for live recording 32+ track. It is still in use after 13-yrs. I have nothing bad to say about Clevo. I upgraded to a new machine Win10 version because WinXP is no longer supported and most of my software was not upgradable. Also technology changes; from Firewire & ADAT. Yes, expensive, but it's paid for itself.

Thanks for your guidance.

Cheers!
Telstar

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can open a Support Ticket at Support: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/
telstar

Post by telstar »

Ticket #3684: "MM v5.0.2.2531 Transport and Audio Anomalies" has been successfully submitted.
Telstar