[SOLVED] Display music by album artist and album?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

inmado

[SOLVED] Display music by album artist and album?

Post by inmado »

I am unhappy with the default options to display music in MM. You can use the Album view. However, it orders albums by album title. Thus, albums of a single artist are not next to each other. You can of course use the view "Artists & Album Artists" instead. This will present the album's of an artist as a single node. Well, not exactly! In fact, an artist's node will not only contain the album's of that artist, but also all albums (collections) that contain only a single song of that artist, where the artist is not at all the Album artist! Even worse, any collection will be split and nodes will be created for any artist on that collection! A Sampler of Rock classics with 20 songs will result in 20 entries in the "Artists & Album Artists" view. This makes that view rather useless. Too many entries with just a single song...

I'd like to have a view by "Album artist and Album name" so that all albums of e.g. Pink Floyd are listed under that node, but all albums that are collections are show e.g. under "Various".

Is that possible? In MMW? In MMA?
Peke

Re: Display music by album artist and album?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If I understand this correctly, you want them separated.

In Both MMW and MMA you can customize Main Screen and Separate "Artist & Album Artist" -> "Artist"+"Album Artist" and only problems is where Compilatios gets flagged as singles and Artist is copied to Album Artist instead of assigning "Various" thus they appear as albums of that artist.

If I have not helped much can you please add screenshot to your next reply showing where the problem is?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
inmado

Post by inmado »

What I want is basically the view offered by MMW tree via Music/Album_Artist, which shows all the Albums ordered by album artist. But there is no such tree in MMA?!?

I basically just want to browse albums like browsing albums in real live, i.e. browsing my physical LPs/CDs, which are ordered by artist and all collections are separated at the end.
In Both MMW and MMA you can customize Main Screen
How? - I'd be happy if the Albums in album view would be ordered by 1. album artist and 2. album name. Unfortunately, Albums are ordered by album name, only.

Sorry, no screen-shot, because I don't see how it could add any value to the above description, which is quite clear, hopefully?!
inmado

Post by inmado »

Ok, I just upgraded to MMA pro, found the customization options of the main display via menu/Personalize which offers a view "Album Artists". Exactly what I was looking for.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Oops, I forgot that Personalize and reordering is Pro feature :oops: :cry:

Glad you are satisfied.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
untel123

Re: [SOLVED] Display music by album artist and album?

Post by untel123 »

I may be stupid but I cannot find the way to personalize this option in MMW pro ? I now see as many albums as as artists ... As the OP, I want to see only one album even with multiple artists in an album.

Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Sounds like you have different Album Artist values for the files on the Album: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... erties/4.0
untel123

Post by untel123 »

Thanks Lowlander,

I finally understood that as soon as there's something in Album Artist, these different names are added to the album name. Album tree does not show anymore Album but it shows "album name + album Artist". Albums are not more albums ... this is at least misleading.

I've seen many threads around that, and, like many others, I do not understand the benefits to ALWAYS have "albums + Album Artist" as Album name. I would highly prefer to seen only Album album name in Album tree. Is this possible ?

Related to that, I experienced a really strange behavior in making an auto playlist by selecting albums which are listed as "Albums+Album Artist" and I got multiple playlists, one for each Album Artist. I had in mind, auto playlist generates one playlist, not multiple ones. That's mainly why I'm asking these questions.

Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The reason is that different Albums can have the same name (Greatest Hits for example). So if you only used Album you'd have them shown as a single Album.

I don't know what you did, as AutoPlaylists can't create multiple Playlists. An AutoPlaylist is a single Criteria based Playlist: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ylists/4.0
untel123

Post by untel123 »

Thanks,

For the album naming, I didn't know that album was seen by MMW as album+artist album, so all my albums were named as Artist+album name, like "Mozart, The great Symphonies". But there's another excellent reason to NOT use "album name + album artist". I generally (to not say always) search music by composer/artist. We always know the artist/composer of the music but NOT every exact album name. To me, it would be much more practical to have MM using Album Artist + album as album name. Knowing this, I can say I will never fix my album names because I don't remember every exact album names to search them. My way of naming allows me to pin point the artist then I can see albums name very rapidly.

As you didn't answer that question, may I conclude that we cannot have MM using the only album name as album ?

Here's how I got multiple playlist. I first created a playlist in MMW with advanced criteria. As I didn't have a criteria to select album, I used the album/Series/Podcast criteria. Then I selected all the "album + album artists" for this album (many cds album). The MMW playlist was perfect. The problem occurred when I wanted to synchronize this playlist to my player. In the player I got a different playlist for each different "album + artist player". The work around was to stay in the playlist basic criteria where I indicated the album title in the "Any text fields". Then I got only one playlist in the portable player.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, as explained above there is a reason MediaMonkey uses both.

So the multiple Playlists happened on the Player? In that case check the settings in the Device Profile: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... #Playlists