Is it possible to create a usable library from this mess

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Phototaker

Is it possible to create a usable library from this mess

Post by Phototaker »

I have been asked by a friend if I have any ideas as to how to fix all of the music that is on his PC.  I have my doubts because from what I have seen it's a super mess.

It seems some of the problems was with iTunes then followed up by numerous PC problems/breakdowns/PC visits to shops etc.  

From what I have seen/heard is that for the most part it started with new files being created starting with one music library being rewritten onto a separate new drive (that wasn't empty) and then adding to it from then on, again and again. 
I have done a quick look and seen hundreds of duplicates with a few tracks  being seen 8 times.

I think what might be possible is to just look at all the music tracks there that are MP3's  and save them and leave the other files behind  and/or just delete them. 

It looks as if he had iTunes try to get all of the other data , like album name,cover photo composer ect but this data doesn't seem to be consolidated.

Is any of this relatively duable? Or is it all a super waste of time.  I know that iTunes would not be capable of doing the job but thought that MediaMonkeey just might.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
IanRTaylorUK

Re: Is it possible to create a usable library from this mess

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi PhotoTaker,

Take a copy / backup first.

Check the quality of the music files and - for example - exclude those where the bit rate is too low.

Consider using an external drive for the "new" library. Scan all folders into MMW. Use other tools to remove non-relevant files e.g. Windows File Manage wild card searching for DOCs / TXTs / PDFs etc. if not important to the library.

Use MMW "Auto-Organise" to place files into some sort of folder structure e.g. Music / Artist / Album... You may need to add / lookup this information for some files?

Use Files To Edit (and then Add-Ons) to clean up the tags / artist important to you / your friend.

Use the forum for to search for music sources if you have a "budget" to replace poor quality files (say <128) with better quality or add missing tracks from incomplete albums (assuming you prefer complete albums). [P.S. Ludek's / Lowlander's {?} Custom Nodes add-on can help with this].
Ian Taylor
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Making something of a mess will take time, but there are tools to help:

1) Manage duplicates: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... icates/5.0

2) Tag files: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... ternet/5.0

3) Organize the files on your PC: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... enames/5.0
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

You did not say how many total number of files there are to be cleaned up. To me, the approach would depend on this.

I might start by first removing all files of very small filesize due to anticipated poor quality, and then trying to copy all remaining mp3 files into one single folder, so any duplicates by filename would be eliminated.

Note - This only works if you intend to rely on embedded art, as opposed to any existing jpgs in the album folders.

There are also programs such as total commander that can identify duplicates in a series of subfolders by filename and or even content.

I would think in theory a subsequent autotag and then autoorganize would go a long ways towards sorting it out. It will identify tracks by fingerprint if you are lucky.

Then once tagged you can sort by title and look for duplicates with same album author and identification.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
snowleopard

Post by snowleopard »

I personally do not use MediaMonkey for any ripping / tagging / album art of files. Not sure how it would work with files from Itunes, but when I purchase CD's and I need to rip them to use in my digital library, I use DBPowerAMP / Perfect Tunes with Accurip.

I think they have a auto tagging program that is pretty good, but I don't know how it works with existing files.
Phototaker

Post by Phototaker »

It's clear that I haven't used MediaMonkey for quite a while and I'm having difficulty finding the correct page for anything that I wish to attempt.

I tried something to run some sort of analys but was warned that it would take a long time. I let it run because I had to go out for hours. I just took a picture of what just popped up and I can't believe the results. It says "105692 tracks in your library have not been analyzed for redundancy."

Unless I suddenly get inspiration I think I'll have to leave tying to fix a mates problem with his this data base and move onto one of my own.

I as I have found an old Apple Nano iPod that has great playliists so I'll try to move it my phone since it has over 10 times the amount of storage on it.

Thanks for all of the suggections & I will try many of them when I have a better handle on using the program.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Duplicate Content requires files first to be analyze for duplicates (fingerprinting): https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... te_Content
Phototaker

Post by Phototaker »

I guess that the first that I see after I click on link appears to be is a list of some sort of add on's for MM that has to be downloaded and installed and then run. Am I on the riight track?
Andre_H

Post by Andre_H »

Sorting and especially properly tagging of 105.692 tracks will be no small feat... But the result might well be worth the effort... ;-)
- MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 2016 # only essential addons # my 24/7 media server
- MMW MMW 5.0.4.2690 (non-portable, shared DB & files) on Windows 10 # playing, testing skins & addons # my desktop app
- MMA Pro (2.0.0.1063) on Android 10, 11, 12 Phones & Tabs # WiFi Sync # playing

- MP3Tag, MP3Diags, MP3DirectCut, IrfanView
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, duplicate management as mentioned in the Help is part of MediaMonkey without the need for Addons.
Phototaker

Post by Phototaker »

I'm still trying to fix this problem whenever I get time.

I think that a lot of this started with iTunes, which if I recall correctly is that they created some sort of link between the actual music file and all the data that went with it like genre,composer etc,ect.

If this is correct is in fact the way it used to operate it would account for why I see lots of files all just 4 letter alpha's.

Is there anyway to use this to help descramble this mess?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That sounds like iTunes (it's how files are Synced to Apple devices). If the tags are in order you can use Auto-Organize Files to rename the files.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

snowleopard wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:49 pm I personally do not use MediaMonkey for any ripping / tagging / album art of files. Not sure how it would work with files from Itunes, but when I purchase CD's and I need to rip them to use in my digital library, I use DBPowerAMP / Perfect Tunes with Accurip.

I think they have a auto tagging program that is pretty good, but I don't know how it works with existing files.
Is the DBPowerAMP / Perfect Tunes a subscription, $$, type of thing? [As far as I know, MM5 does not offer Accurip?]
snowleopard

Post by snowleopard »

TheEmpathicEar wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:06 pm
snowleopard wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:49 pm I personally do not use MediaMonkey for any ripping / tagging / album art of files. Not sure how it would work with files from Itunes, but when I purchase CD's and I need to rip them to use in my digital library, I use DBPowerAMP / Perfect Tunes with Accurip.

Is the DBPowerAMP / Perfect Tunes a subscription, $$, type of thing? [As far as I know, MM5 does not offer Accurip?]
It is not a subscription, it is a 1 time purchase, they offer a single license and a "family Pack" that is good for 3 computers. Every so often they update it so if you want the latest version you need to upgrade, but I have been really happy with it for ripping CD's it is worth it to me. Usually accurip can detect what CD you are trying to rip, but it also offers manual editing before you rip the disc which is great for singles that might be hard to figure out.
TheEmpathicEar

Post by TheEmpathicEar »

snowleopard wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:20 pm
TheEmpathicEar wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:06 pm

It is not a subscription, it is a 1 time purchase, they offer a single license and a "family Pack" that is good for 3 computers. Every so often they update it so if you want the latest version you need to upgrade, but I have been really happy with it for ripping CD's it is worth it to me. Usually accurip can detect what CD you are trying to rip, but it also offers manual editing before you rip the disc which is great for singles that might be hard to figure out.
So, in addition to the purchase of Perfect Tunes, you would need the add-on, "dBpoweramp Music Converter & CD Ripper"?