Search results not always displaying [#19081]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

tbm72

Search results not always displaying [#19081]

Post by tbm72 »

Ever since the most recent update (5.0.3.2625) I've had several instances where search results are missing. For example I type a search query into the search box and it looks like MM is about to do the search correctly because the column browser displays artists and albums related to the search, but the main display area where the actual tracks should be is blank.

If I click away (for example by clicking a playlist or node in the tree on the left) and then go back to the search box and repeat the search again it correctly completes the search. It doesn't happen every time and I can't really see a pattern but it's probably happened maybe 10 times over the last few days. I only saw this behaviour since the last RC2 update.
Lowlander

Re: Search results not always displaying

Post by Lowlander »

I've not seen this. Can you please capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643

This will help a developer to analyze why this happens on your setup.

Rebuilding the search and/or optimizing the database may resolve the problem.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

I reproduced the problem, tracked as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19081
Thanks for reporting.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Glad you could reproduce. Now I'm actively testing it I'm seeing it on probably 80% of searches. I tried moving the splitter as in your bug report but that doesn't fix it for me. One thing that does make search results appear is to cycle to a different view, e.g. switch from 'List (By Album)' to 'List'.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

For me it is quite hard to reproduce, I can confirm, that sometimes moving splitter does not help (in this case I had empty tracklist and had to rerun search). Maybe two different problems could occur.
tbm72

Re: Search results not always displaying [#19081]

Post by tbm72 »

Today's update with the fix doesn't do anything for me. Still getting search results that don't appear (related search results appear in the upper column browser but the main area underneath where tracks should be displayed doesn't update to include any search results).

I'll try and capture a debug log when I've got a spare minute but searching seems to be pretty broken now on my portable install.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
can you also provide Screenshot, as I was not able to replicate your exact problem but one that MiPi found.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Peke wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:57 pm Hi,
can you also provide Screenshot, as I was not able to replicate your exact problem but one that MiPi found.
So for example, I might type 'Beatles' in the search box and I see related results in the column browser in the top half of the screen (under Artist and Album columns) but nothing appears in the main track details area:

No matter what album I click on in the top part, nothing appears underneath. But if I then click on a node on the left and then repeat the search then I get correct results appearing underneath:

So for most searches, the main track details area (where it says 'NOTHING APPEARS HERE' in my screenshot) appears 'dead' with nothing in it and won't refresh until I click away somewhere and do the search again.

And this only started happening since the 2 most recent updates - Search was working fine before that.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Still can't replicate. Where I am wrong?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6awx6is42tlh ... 1.mp4?dl=0
Best regards,
Peke
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Your video is exactly how I would expect to see but it's not what I'm getting. The main area of my screen (i.e. underneath the column browser) just doesn't update when I click on different albums/artists above.

I'll have to experiment to see what's specific to my system/options although I don't think I've got anything unusual in my settings. I'm pretty sure it wasn't doing this on RC1 - is it safe to go back a couple of versions without affecting my settings/db?
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Sure enough I rolled back to RC1 and search is working perfectly again, exactly as it should. As soon as I updated to RC2 my search feature messes up again and won't work as it should.
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Might have found it - under my tools/search options it was set to 'Respect diacritics/match within words' - this is when my display doesn't work correctly after doing a search.

If I change it to 'Ignore diacritics/Match beginning of words (faster)' then the problem seems to go away (I think!). But it looks like this was only a problem since RC2 onwards. Bug?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I managed to replicate once :( and then I just in case have done Full text search reindex and out of 20 tries it happened 2 times, also F5 showed results and in 30 times I tried I could never replicate when Column filter is disabled.

THX for patience, but this one is tricky one :(

Reopened https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 081#c68201
Best regards,
Peke
tbm72

Post by tbm72 »

Thank you, confirmed that this seems to be fixed in today's update and search is working correctly again for me :)