Imported Playlists are empty

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

jaijason

Imported Playlists are empty

Post by jaijason »

I imported my playlists from my phone's rocket player app. (m3u and plb files) I can see all playlist but they are all empty. I did just install MM5 and scanned my music folders. I do not see any processes still occurring.

this is the only reason I'm trying MM5 is for my playlists.

Any ideas?
Lowlander

Re: Imported Playlists are empty

Post by Lowlander »

Playlists are a a list of file paths. These Paths likely are different between your phone and your PC and thus they imported empty.

You can use any text editor (like Notepad) to fix the Paths in the Playlist file before importing. Once the Paths are valid Playlists should import with their files into MediaMonkey.
jaijason

Post by jaijason »

the playlists paths does not contain a full path like a normal file on a pc would (ex. C://download/music/Beastie Boys/Licensed to ill/12 Brass Monkey.m4a). Instead it contains just the "application path" ( /Beastie Boys/Licensed to ill/12 Brass Monkey.m4a). The application path would start at the folder that your music is stored. So when you point program to your music folder is should match up. But its obviously not.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If the Playlist file is saved in the parent folder of the Beastie Boys folder it would work. Relative Paths work as long as the Path works from the location the Playlist file is saved.
jaijason

Post by jaijason »

right, i just need to get that situated.

thanks
jaijason

Post by jaijason »

After looking at some other posts on importing playlists i'm able to open the folder node and open the playlist information and its showing that MM is converting the relative path to absolute, but it is only prefixing the current playlist path with the drive letter.

So my playlist
/Beastie Boys/Licensed to ill/12 Brass Monkey.m4a
is converted to
D:\Beastie Boys\Licensed to ill\12 Brass Monkey.m4a

Problem is my music is not on the root of the D. Is there a setting that I can tell MM that a certain directory should be considered the root?

If not I have a plan to write an app that will prefix all the playlist information with the correct path. However that makes me wonder how it gets properly transferred to a mobile device when syncing. Will that playlist information be broken again when I sync to phone. That is the reason the playlists are built in that way so they are easily moved around.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Like mentioned before, Playlists with relative Paths need to be located in the relative location to the files. It looks like you have the Playlist file located in the root of D when you scan it. Instead the Playlist file needs to be in the folder containing the Beastie Boys folder.
jaijason

Post by jaijason »

The playlist are not on the root. They are in the same folder as the music.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If the Playlist is in the correct location, the Playlist will import with files, otherwise it will show empty in MediaMonkey.
jaijason

Post by jaijason »

Its just not working that way.

I copied the playlist into the folder that the music subfolders are at. I did a scan on that folder and all music and playlist got added to MM. Playlists are empty. In the folder node if I look at the playlist there it shows the path as being on the root of the drive.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Try to Drag and Drop Playlist from Windows explorer onto MM Player and if MM starts to play tracks from playlist then I would suggest that you open support ticket so taht w can go into more details what and why MM do not import playlists correctly.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
jaijason

Post by jaijason »

It doesn't even allow me to drag and drop playlists..
Peke

Post by Peke »

Can you please open support ticket and point to this forum topic so that I can take over?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts