Multi Disc Set Listing

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

producer_ben

Multi Disc Set Listing

Post by producer_ben »

Hi All,

I'm back, with no doubt an issue that's easily resolved, but Im having issues with albums that have multiple discs.

Single disc albums display fine and correctly, in numerical order, however if an album has more than one disc, Media Monkey doesn't appear to read and sort by disc number.

A regular, single disc would display as :

1. song name
2. song name
3. song name

but multi disc sets, they appear as so :

1. song name
1. song name
2. song name
2. song name
3. song name
3. song name

My collection is is FLAC and either purchased from reputable sources OR I have ripped them myself using EAC.
I then use MP£ Tag to go through and ensure that all the correct fields are filled as required. Disc number and Total Discs are filled in on evey file of every album.

This multi disc track listing issue has been around for some time and I am happy to be directed if it is a "user eror", but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get albums to list in disc and track order.

I downloaded the most recent version of MM5 yesterday to see if that helped, but unfortunately nothing has changed for this small, yet annoying issue.

Many thanks
Rob_S

Re: Multi Disc Set Listing

Post by Rob_S »

One way to deal with that is to add the disk number to the album name.

XXX Best ever disk 1

Song 1
Song 2

XXX Best ever disk 2

Song 1
Song 2

If you have entered disk numbers and track numbers for everything, you should be able to sort by album name, then crtl+click the header for disk number, and then again ctrl+click the column for track number. I don't have any sets numbered that way for testing, so I'm saying this should work....

That should give you the sort order you want without changing your album names.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
producer_ben

Post by producer_ben »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply, all input is appreciated in resolving this issue.

Adding the disc number to the album and/or tracks isn't a suitable option for me, but I appreciate the possible solution.

As for the header, this is something else I find strange in Media Monkey. I have added the disc numbers, yet the disc number column is completely empty. It's most strange.

Like yourself, I planned to sort by disc number, using the column sorting, but seeing as they're empty (even though the tag contains the information) is really odd.

I'm hoping maybe Lander can shed some light on this once he gets around to seeing this post, but until then, any assistance from anyone else is gratefully received :)

I have made some screenshots that shows MM5 disc number problem, but also screenshots showing the same albume in MP3 Tag and another Media Librarian I have (as a backup). The links are below and I hope they help you all or at least Lander make sense of what I'm experiencing.

These two show how it appears in MM5:
https://imgbox.com/4XedSUPz
https://imgbox.com/JFBNH1P9

This shows the tagging in MP3 Tag :
https://imgbox.com/p0n2WgVs

This shows the same album in another librarian software (a backup one) :
https://imgbox.com/2cSDR5Kb
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you use Disc# sorting on Album will get the correct sorting. What are you sorting on and in which View are you?

Did you rescan files in MediaMonkey after you added Disc#?
producer_ben

Post by producer_ben »

Hi Lowlander :)

I'm so pleased you had time to see this thread.

I'm not sure if you checked the screen shots I added (in a reply after Rob's reply), but you'll see that in MM5, the disc number column is empty on every single disc even though it is populated in MP3 Tag and other librarians can see the disc number too.

If I try and sort by disc number column, nothing happens, because in MM5 the disc column is empty (even though the data is present).

I have tried all the different views, even list view.

Thanks again Lowlander and looking forward to getting this sorted :)
Last edited by producer_ben on Sun May 29, 2022 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's why I asked if you rescanned in MediaMonkey. When changes are made to tags outside of MediaMonkey you need to rescan in MediaMonkey for MediaMonkey to see the changes.
producer_ben

Post by producer_ben »

Oh, sorry I failed to give you that information.

Yes I have rescanned the library many times, but still no show of the disc number
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then offer a problem file to Support so they can analyze it: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support
producer_ben

Post by producer_ben »

No problem Lander, I will do.

Can you advise the best way to do that please?

(sorry I haven't done that before) :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Open a ticket at the link above and attach the file (if under 5mb), otherwise upload to a cloud service like OneDrive and include the link to the shared file in your ticket.
producer_ben

Post by producer_ben »

Great stuff Lander, thanks.

Ticket created :D