IPod 5.5G iFlash Skipping Songs

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Schreck

IPod 5.5G iFlash Skipping Songs

Post by Schreck »

Hi everyone,

my intention was to use an iPod 5.5G with an iFlash Quad Adapter and a couple of micro SD cards for listening to alac files. Now after syncing a couple of files, the iPod skips tracks. For example shuffle play:

- first song is being played
- second is skipped
- third is being played
- fourth is skipped

If I press rewind a couple of times, the second song is being played (after 3 or 4 times of trying).

Using a 7G iPod with the iFlash Adapter and micro SD cards works flawless.

Does anyone have experience with that? In reddit I find a thread about this mentioning the encoding of the alac files have to be variable bitrate.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ipod/comments/ ... ess_songs/
Schreck

Re: IPod 5.5G iFlash Skipping Songs

Post by Schreck »

In the meantime I could manifest that this only happens with alac files through MediaMonkey sync. If I convert them to aac or something else, playing works just fine. And if I import the tracks in iTunes and let them be new encoded by it (through File -> Convert) and sync to the iPod after that, playing works without skipping.
Schreck

Post by Schreck »

All right, It's kind of sad that this is a little bit of monologue but I found the solution. The iPod skipps tracks because the ITUNNORM tag is not been set on the converted tracks. Somehow, the iPod needs this.

How did I come to this conclusion:
- At first I converted the tracks in iTunes as mentioned in the first post and after that no skipping of songs occured
- After a couple of misleading tries with ffmpeg I found the extra tag ITUNNORM
- I created that tags using MP3TAG with an action found here https://community.mp3tag.de/t/convert-r ... es/8069/30. MP3TAG is able to calculate the ITUNNORM tag by using the album gain information.
- After syncing a couple of tracks with MM5, the tag is gone, and the iPod is skipping songs (as expected)
- I recreated the tags for the converted tracks using MP3TAG directly on the iPod itself
- no skipping anymore

I will try this with my whole library (~5000 songs), so this might take a while.

After that, what would be the best approach? Is this a bug or a feature request? Maybe this can be answered by someone.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please open Support Ticket and supply us dL links for two versions of same file eg. one that do not skip and same one that skips?

We would like to compare both files and see what is going on.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Schreck

Post by Schreck »

Thanks for your reply - I will.
Gardner

Post by Gardner »

If you're experiencing skipping issues with ALAC files on your iPod 5.5G and iFlash Quad Adapter, it may be due to the encoding of the files. Try converting the files to a variable bitrate format like AAC to ensure smooth playback.

Another user found that the skipping issue can be resolved by adding the ITUNNORM tag to the converted tracks. This tag can be added using MP3TAG, which calculates it based on album gain information. However, be aware that syncing with MediaMonkey may remove the tag, causing the skipping to reoccur. You can recreate the tags directly on the iPod using MP3TAG to prevent skipping.

If you encounter further difficulties, one suggestion is to open a support ticket and provide two versions of the same file, one that skips and one that doesn't, for further investigation.

Hope this helps!
“I’m not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.”
—Michael Scott