MM5 sync with Fiio X1 not behaving correctly

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Marbrien

MM5 sync with Fiio X1 not behaving correctly

Post by Marbrien »

I have MediaMonkey Gold (Lifetime licence) for Windows 4.1.31.1919 and MM Gold for Windows 5.0.1.2433. They run on a laptop with Windows 10 Home 20H2, 64 bit. My portable device is a Fiio X1, which I sync to MM via the Fiio’s USB cable. Despite apparently having the same config settings under MM v5 as v4, the Fiio does not behave the same way when I sync it.

When I installed version 5 I took the option of using version 4’s database and settings, but left MM4 installed in case of problems with MM5. I only ever run one version of MediaMonkey at a time. I have kept the database for both versions in the same state.

When I try to sync the Fiio to v5:

1. The Fiio is not recognised by MM5 unless the Fiio is already powered on when I connect its USB cable to the laptop. If the Fiio is powered off, Windows recognises the device and the device powers on, but MM5 does not, no matter how long I wait, so there is no automatic sync and I can’t sync manually. The device has to be powered on before connecting it to the laptop for MM5 to recognise it and start the sync. By contrast, with MM4, if the Fiio is powered off when connected, Windows recognises the device and the device powers on, then MM4 recognises the Fiio a few seconds later and starts syncing to it automatically.

2. After syncing to MM5, the Fiio does not automatically dismount (safely disconnect) at the end of the sync, even though its config file is set to do that. I have to dismount it manually within MM5. With MM4, the dismount is automatic at sync end.

Clearly both these issues have the simple work rounds I have stated above, so they are not showstoppers, but the difference in sync behaviour is odd. Is it a bug in MM5, or some other cause? Thanks.
Lowlander

Re: MM5 sync with Fiio X1 not behaving correctly

Post by Lowlander »

Can you please capture both in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643

This will help a developer analyze why this happens with this device.
Marbrien

Post by Marbrien »

At the time I didn't have the time to follow the suggested actions.

The problem still exists. Now I have MMW5 5.0.3.2627, and Windows 10 Home 21H2.

The Fiio X1 still syncs properly with MMW4, but will not sync as expected with MMW5. The Fiio has to be powered on when I connect it to the laptop with MMW5 running, otherwise it is not recognised by MMW5 even though it is recognised by Windows. It also does not disconnect from Windows after the sync even though the config file has that option checked.

Do I still have to follow the steps recommended above?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, a debug log will help a developer analyze the problem.
Marbrien

Post by Marbrien »

I have raised ticket #4533 and have submitted logs as requested via that ticket dialogue.
Marbrien

Post by Marbrien »

Unfortunately Ticket #4533 has not resolved this. As instructed I downloaded debug versions of MMW4 and MMW5 and submitted debug logs of both versions created while I was attempting to sync the Fiio X1 in various scenarios (Fiio on/off when attached, Fiio attached before/after MMW started). Among other things I also submitted a log produced by WMLog.exe and the Fiio’s config file. Apparently MMW uses a file called d_WMDM.dll to recognise devices and there have been changes to this between MMW4 and MMW5, but I’m told that these were changes only to the interface methods, not to the way that devices are recognised. I can live with the issue, but if anyone else encounters it, or has any ideas what is causing it, please comment.
Marbrien

Post by Marbrien »

I was asked to download debug versions of MMW4 and MMW5. The issue has not been resolved, but now I want to retain only the latest non-debug versions of MMW4 and MMW5 and get rid of the others. But it isn't obvious how to do this. Windows Programs and Features lists only two instances of MMW, MediaMonkey 4.1 and MediaMonkey 5. But in the Program Files (x86) directory there are four folders, MediaMonkey, MediaMonkey5, MediaMonkey5 debug, and MediaMonkey5 debug OLDER. How do I safely uninstall everything except the latest non-debug versions of MMW4 and MMW5 please?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
As MM settings are stored in "AppData/Roaming/MediaMonkey5" you can simply Rename/Delete all "MediaMonkey, MediaMonkey5, MediaMonkey5 debug, and MediaMonkey5 debug OLDER" folders and install MM4 -> MM5 without uninstalling them first Which will create two new folders "MediaMonkey" and "MediaMonkey 5" which would be your latest installs. So after that you start and ensure all is OK then if you renamed folders you can delete them.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Marbrien

Post by Marbrien »

Thanks, that works.
Peke

Post by Peke »