Saving Column settings?

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

tomjonze

Saving Column settings?

Post by tomjonze »

Am I blind? I can't seem to find a way to *save* the columns in my preferred way and every time I restart I'm left adjusting them again. I don't care about "source" and I want to always see bitrate. Any hints?
Lowlander

Re: Saving Column settings?

Post by Lowlander »

Columns should be remembered. Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey and what node in the Media Tree are you doing this for?
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Do you perchance mean column settings between different nodes?

Each node apparently has independent settings, and the only way to have your preferred combination of columns persist across nodes, is to create a saved view, and then apply it separately to each node.

For some reason there is no way to create or modify your own personalized "Default" view, which sometimes appears to be a taboo subject around here :)
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
tomjonze

Post by tomjonze »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:29 am Columns should be remembered. Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey and what node in the Media Tree are you doing this for?
5.0.3.2627 is the build I have.

I'm certain that it's not saving them because every time I restart my computer I am adjusting the columns in the different views again. Thank you for any insight.

be well.
tomjonze

Post by tomjonze »

Rob_S wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:55 pm Do you perchance mean column settings between different nodes?

Each node apparently has independent settings, and the only way to have your preferred combination of columns persist across nodes, is to create a saved view, and then apply it separately to each node.

For some reason there is no way to create or modify your own personalized "Default" view, which sometimes appears to be a taboo subject around here :)
I do not mean between the different nodes, I mean in each node each time. If I close Mediamonkey and reopen it the saved columns (removing Source, adding bitrate) is reverted back to the original columns. It's annoying.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

tomjonze wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:14 am Am I blind? I can't seem to find a way to *save* the columns in my preferred way and every time I restart I'm left adjusting them again. I don't care about "source" and I want to always see bitrate. Any hints?
I agree about some of those default columns.
Path and filename are other columns I hate.
Unless you like horizontal scrolling, It takes up too much space.
tomjonze

Post by tomjonze »

i re-read my initial post and i sound rude. my apologies.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm not sure if the latest betas include fixes for this, you could try it though: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d
tomjonze

Post by tomjonze »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:41 am I'm not sure if the latest betas include fixes for this, you could try it though: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d
Do you know what the timetable is for a new non-beta build would be released? Just wondering how long after a build does it get a full release, on average?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

tomjonze wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:56 pm Do you know what the timetable is for a new non-beta build would be released? Just wondering how long after a build does it get a full release, on average?
My view, .. from the outside, is that there is no useful answer to this question.
Any answer will start with "It depends ..."

FIIW: Many people, myself included, are OK to install the beta versions, and to rely upon them not to do any serious damage.
I have never seen any report that a beta version of MM has done any damage to music tracks.
And I haven't seen it do any damage to the MM db either.
Every now and then there is small hiccup, where some function in MM becomes semi-interrupted, but usually still functions via a workaround. They get on top of this quickly.

I take a few precautions:
  • turn on MM5's backup function ... get it auto-backup each few days, and set its auto-housekeeping to keep at least 4 or 5 archival copies
  • don't use a database-wide function (eg. Autotag) without testing it first, using a small track selection
  • exercise a little more caution with "alpha" versions, although the distinction between an alpha & beta version is probably fairly arbitrary ... nb. !! the most current version is still in the alpha state
After the beta version has been in circulation for a few weeks, it is probably safe.
You would see evidence here, if there was a problem.

I don't see any evidence that the official release goes through any extra hoops, that would make it more safe or hassle-free, than a beta version that has been in circulation for a while.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
tomjonze

Post by tomjonze »

Barry4679 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:52 am
tomjonze wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:56 pm Do you know what the timetable is for a new non-beta build would be released? Just wondering how long after a build does it get a full release, on average?
My view, .. from the outside, is that there is no useful answer to this question.
Any answer will start with "It depends ..."

FIIW: Many people, myself included, are OK to install the beta versions, and to rely upon them not to do any serious damage.
I have never seen any report that a beta version of MM has done any damage to music tracks.
And I haven't seen it do any damage to the MM db either.
Every now and then there is small hiccup, where some function in MM becomes semi-interrupted, but usually still functions via a workaround. They get on top of this quickly.

I take a few precautions:
  • turn on MM5's backup function ... get it auto-backup each few days, and set its auto-housekeeping to keep at least 4 or 5 archival copies
  • don't use a database-wide function (eg. Autotag) without testing it first, using a small track selection
  • exercise a little more caution with "alpha" versions, although the distinction between an alpha & beta version is probably fairly arbitrary ... nb. !! the most current version is still in the alpha state
After the beta version has been in circulation for a few weeks, it is probably safe.
You would see evidence here, if there was a problem.

I don't see any evidence that the official release goes through any extra hoops, that would make it more safe or hassle-free, than a beta version that has been in circulation for a while.
Thank you kindly. I have gone ahead and downloaded it. I should set up more regular backups. I do backups. Just not every so many days (and so far haven't looked at how to use MM to do said backups.)