Multiple issues using MM5 on Windows 10

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

rockisalive

Multiple issues using MM5 on Windows 10

Post by rockisalive »

I downloaded the demo and liked the app so I bought the license; although after starting to use the app, I started to get all sort of issues.

The first and most annoying one is related to multi monitor support: I have a 4K and a 1440p monitor; and I move apps left and right on those monitors as I see fit. If I run MM5 on my 1440p monitor the app is working and if I change the sorting order to view my library, the view is updated. But if I move the app to my 4K monitor and change sorting, the main view become empty; no songs displayed. If I move back the app on the 1440p monitor, the view show all the songs and content. Basically I can't even arrange my music on one monitor and move it on the 4K monitor because the content become invisible no matter what, so I am forced to have MM5 only on my 1440p monitor.

Still related to multi monitor support; the app UI just lock in a specific size for the main window and there is no way to change that size, if you are on the 4K monitor. As long as I am on the 1440p monitor there is no problem, but if I move the app on the 4K monitor and then change the size; it works to a point then the app "snap" to a set size and you can make it bigger but not smaller.

Following on that; if you are on the 4K monitor and try to open preferences or tagging or other modal views; the app does not show them at all; I need to move back the app to the 1440p monitor and then open the modal view from there.

Just those issues are enough to make the app unusable for most part; I am not sure how nobody ever noticed these bugs, because I did nothing more than just use the app and move it left and right between the 2 monitors (and I assume I am not the only user that have 2 monitors).
On top of that there are some issues related to the tagging, which seems to not overwrite tags when you search using the song signature; so the only way to actually get the overwrite of existing info on the song is to either manually remove the ID2 and ID3 tags and the artwork, or to delete the song name and do the auto tag again; which in almost all cases is able to recognize the correct song. This is mostly a minor issue but I wanted to bring it up.

I like the app and it is fun to use; especially to organize music libraries, but it is source of a lot of pain as now, since I can't use it with my 2 monitor setup. I have a Windows 10 machine using a AMD Ryzen 9 CPU and an ATI RX 6700 XT video card; got 32 GB of RAM on my system and the music library is on its own drive, not on the main one, which is half empty.

If you have a logging feature in your app I would like to see these logs to get an idea about what is going on; also let me know if you have a jira board to file bugs, I can file those and send them your way so they can get fixed. I don't see an attachment button so I have no idea how to attach a screenshot of the problem.

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: Multiple issues using MM5 on Windows 10

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you using? Do you have any custom DPI or Text Size settings in Windows itself for the 4k monitor.

Do these problems persist if you restart the PC and only use the 4k monitor?
rockisalive

Post by rockisalive »

Thanks for the reply; I found that the monitors had different scaling (it is set automatically; the 1440p had a 100% scaling factor and the 4K a 125%). Once I set the same scaling factor the issue with sorting and visualization got solved.

Still getting random bugs where the UI start to "move by itself" (scroll down without me touching the mouse wheel) or not refreshing the images after I try to auto tag an existing song that has been tagged already, but those are manageable to be honest. Thanks for pointing at the problem.

I assume you have a bug already for monitors having different scale factor, right?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which Build (Help > About) of MediaMonkey are you using?
rockisalive

Post by rockisalive »

The latest one downloaded 4 days ago (5.0.3.2627)

BTW when I ran the app today it got stuck again, at a set width and would not let me reduce the width. I had to move it to the 1440p screen, maximize and quit it. When I ran the app again I was able to modify the width again.

I have encountered quite a lot of those bugs; if you want me to write down reports let me know. Also if you have a debug mode for the app please let me know how to enable it; so I can collect some more info
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Debug log (step 4b) is explained here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86643
rockisalive

Post by rockisalive »

Thanks; from the link I see that I need the debug build to get the most out of it.

I checked in AppDAta/Roaming/EurekaLab folder and there is no log file at all. The app hang on me in multiple occasions forcing me to kill it, so I assume the logs are created there only when you have an actual caught exception. Is there a location where you save the verbose log or a way to enable a higher verbosity level of logging for the application?

So far the issues I found are tied to 3 major categories:

1) the app UI get messed up if I let the computer go to sleep while the app is maximized to full screen, and then wake it up. After waking up the computer the window width is locked. I was able to reproduce this 3 times in the past 2 days.

2) If I ran volume analysis on my collection (~10K files), the app just die at one point. I saw few times a prompt saying that the app stopped working or something like that, and in few occasion I saw an empty prompt that could not be clicked. I all these cases I had to force quit the app. Without logs can't say much but possibly it look like one of the thread either got deadlocked while trying to analyze the track volume, or there is a leak somewhere that end up causing an unexpected exception. I have 32 GB of ram; I never ran out of ram even doing 3d render of animations that occupy 20+ GB of ram; so I assume there must be something else at play here, and not related to my hardware.

3) changing preferences for the web server (deactivate it) does not stick all the time, and sometimes the server remain enabled causing a "error, the server is already running" message, even if I explicitly turned off the web server in the preferences. I got this 3 times now.

It would be helpful to see what the app is doing with a log; if you have some debug options I can add to launch the app, that would be helpful. Otherwise I will get the debug build. Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You need the debug build as explained in step 4b. It adds the logging capability (as captured by DebugView).

3) The error is likely fixed with: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19260 That may also fix the Media Server not remaining disabled.
rockisalive

Post by rockisalive »

Thanks, is that PR fix already in main? I downloaded the app 2 days ago, and that was the latest build.

What about #1 and #2? Any suggestion about what could possibly be wrong there?

I also noticed that even after running the auto tag feature, files are still showing up in the list of files to edit; as if they were missing the artist field for example, even if I updated those.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

rockisalive wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:12 pm Thanks, is that PR fix already in main? I downloaded the app 2 days ago, and that was the latest build.
It is available now.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.