Play from the USB (OTG)

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

Redditch

Play from the USB (OTG)

Post by Redditch »

Hi, I have Galaxy S22 and I like to play music from my USB flash. In Folder I can't see the usb flash directory. Just Internal memory. When I open VLC player, there I can see the USB and play from there as well. VLC is free. Here I paid full price and what next?
Peke

Re: Play from the USB

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MMA do not support OTG storage unless it is enabled by manufacturer, hich means that native Android Drivers needs to support OTG in order to allow MMA to browse thru OTG drive withing its folder browser.

Samsung is know that use their own customization to the system and I am not sure how it solved OTG support (we do not own every device, especially expensive flagship models).

If OTG is natively support you should be able to read and play from it when browsing using Folder browser. I would not suggest to add OTG USB to MMA library and by nature OTG drives can get different ID on each connection/mounting, aslo they are very slow. I use 2TB SSD drive on my Android car Headunit and can confirm that behavior on regular basis. As a good news we are working on better support for OTG for MMA 2.0, but not sure it will be in initial builds.

VLC is known that use own drivers/codecs to read many files and storage that other apps can't do, but us the one of benefits when some app is free and developed by several hundreds volunteers.

As for your issue can check if anything here can help you to make OTG storage seen on S22 https://www.google.com/search?q=Samsung ... 8&oe=utf-8
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
jscheeren

MediaMonkey can't see mounted hard disk, Android 12

Post by jscheeren »

G'day,

How can I add to MediaMonkey a music library on my attached 2TB Samsung external SSD. It is attached to my Samsung Tab A7 lite tablet running Android 12 via a USB C hub. MediaMonkey can see the micro SD card memory and its music files, but not the SSD drive, or its files.

I can see this drive is mounted via the (swipe down) Quick Menu of Android and the X-plore file utility can see it and play all files in all directories.

Thanks very much,
Jan
Last edited by Lowlander on Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic
Peke

Re: Play from the USB (OTG)

Post by Peke »

Hi,
X-plore file utility most likely have NTFS driver internally, MMA do not have and depends on Manufacturer implementation on OS level.

Can you please make screenshots of one track properties so that we can at least have a glimpse how Device see/handle it (Quick Menu+Properties of storage from Android options) and from X-plore to compare how it handles OTG?
Best regards,
Peke
jscheeren

Post by jscheeren »

Thanks Peke for such a fast response.
First of all, I should have mentioned that the external SSD is formatted as ExFat.
I am not sure how to find out the properties of files in Android, as I can in Windows.
In X-plore the path of the SSD is /mnt/media_rw/DCFE-9049
Cheers,
Jan
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Hmmm, it looks like raw mounted device. Will ask others in team to check how MMA 2.0 handles it ATM, so we can find workaround.
Best regards,
Peke
jscheeren

Post by jscheeren »

G'day,
Any news or developments on MediaMonkey being able to access external USB drives.
Thanks,
Jan
JurkoE46

Post by JurkoE46 »

Hi,
it's a year gone. Is still the VLC player ahead about the playing from the usb flash? Already I have a upgrade from your app on 2.0.0.1080. Why I can't still see the USB flash disc in your app? Even if your app is asking me for a permition in Settings, Library folders, Internal shared storage.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Sorry, MMA 2.0.0 doesn't yet have OTG support :-(

-Rusty