Repeated Multiple Lyric Searches

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

MattTown

Repeated Multiple Lyric Searches

Post by MattTown »

Hi, I'd like help with an annoyance issue with lyrics. I've seen lyrics mentioned a couple of times in the forum but I couldn't find something specific about this so I'm creating a new thread. Please relocate if there is a better home for it.

My usual use case for MM5 (V 2662) is to be doing in-line editing of main list fields while listening to the track and looking at the lyrics. So, I have a file playing with its line showing in the main list with the context tree (left panel) not showing and Now Playing (right panel) including display of Lyrics.

My problem is that when I start playing a new track the lyrics panel does a good job of showing available lyrics, but then it keeps going finding lyrics even if a set of lyrics is found first time. What ends up happening is that the lyric panel flashes away finding new sets of lyrics. In a test I've just done the lyric panel flashed 80 times in about 50 seconds from start of the track, and the first iteration did find what appeared to be the same lyrics as the remainder of them.

The machine I'm using for the MM database is an older laptop so it doesn't have a lot of spare capacity, and while all this lyric flashing is going on the user interface becomes much less responsive.

I'm assuming that it shouldn't be like this. If it simply stopped after finding the first set of lyrics then I'd be happy. If there were a control to have it search again if the lyrics were not optimal then that would be nice, as long as it simply went to the next available search result.

Cheers
Matt
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.
Lowlander

Re: Repeated Multiple Lyric Searches

Post by Lowlander »

I'm unable to reproduce. Does the issue persist when you rename persistent.json to persisten.json.old and then start MediaMonkey (you'll need to setup the window layout again)?

If you can still reproduce (you can return to the old persistent.json) please capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket.

This will help a developer analyze why this happens on your setup.
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Thanks Lowlander, will check with the debug step.
I failed to mention that this does not happen every time I play a track, it is random with a frequency of about one in 10 tracks.
Cheers,
Matt
MM 2024.3003 (WEF 9 Mar 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 25K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

Steps taken:
1. Closed MM5 and renamed persistent.json. Opened MM5 (not debug), no difference to behaviour. Closed MM5.
2. Opened Debugview and MM5 debug and set up windows/sort again.
3. Played series of 20ish tracks, 30 sec each, through AutoDJ, *no repeat of lyric re-finds*.
4. Closed MM5 and DebugView
5. Reopened DebugView & MM5 debug. Repeated with typical editing action - putting values in custom fields and updating the comment field. No result first session. Two more sessions with *no repeat of lyric re-find error*
6. New session next day. Opened Debugview and MM5 debug. Played songs, editing custom fields and comments. After 20-ish tracks main list lost focus on playing track and moved (without my interaction) to 1/3 down the main list. Return Focus to Playing Track (mapped by me to Alt+Enter) failed to find the playing track. While that was happening, lyric refresh searches started up but didn't go beyond about 8. This is the best instance of repeated lyric search since I started this thread so I terminated MM5 and submitted the debug log via Ticket #4853.
Cheers
Matt
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

This was still happening in v2670 debug.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

How about 2672 which is the latest available Build?