How to get CD text on the CD

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

Joe2

How to get CD text on the CD

Post by Joe2 »

I tried the burning function in MM5 and the is running correctly.
But I miss the title for each song and the cd. In Windows media player I just get the text song 1, song 2,... but not the original title of the song.
In MM4 there was a dialogue box where I could enter / change song titles and the album name.
How can I do that in MM5?
Lowlander

Re: How to get CD text on the CD

Post by Lowlander »

Note that only few drives support this, but the setting is available in the burn dialog: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/WebHel ... dio_CD/5.0
Joe2

Post by Joe2 »

I had the checkboxes all checked but it did not work. I did not know that this could be a problem from the drive.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Joe2 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:10 pm I had the checkboxes all checked but it did not work. I did not know that this could be a problem from the drive.
I don't think that he understood your question.
He is talking CD-Text, but you are asking about track tags aren't you? .. eg. album name, track title etc.
Those aren't stored on the CD. The ripper gets them from the Internet. It uses an (effectively) unique key to find the album in a community database. The lookup key is created by hashing up factors like how many tracks on the album, and all the individual track lengths.

This function does not require any special type of optical drive.

Does the PC that is running your MM5 have Internet access?
What happens when you insert the CD? You should see something like this., where it shows you the CD contents, and allows you to override to a different CD from the community database.

I had never used MM5 CD ripper, but I just tried it.
Joe2 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:51 pm In MM4 there was a dialogue box where I could enter / change song titles and the album name.
How can I do that in MM5?
I can't find this capability either in MM5??!!
There no way that I would use a ripper without a preview facility that had an editing option.

And it gets worse. Ripping doesn't appear to be connected to the Lookup Audio CD panel that I linked to above.
Even though the CD was identified as illustrated above, this is what was ripped.
This is what you are seeing?

In the meantime you should find a better Ripper Joe.

Tested using most current version of MM5 (2690)
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Much confusion here indeed!!!

I think OP actually WAS talking about writing text to a CD he was burning.

I tried some commercial CD's and if I open them in MM I can see Artist, Album and Title tags, with my internet connection turned off. So the text is in there someplace. I believe non-connected CD players can display that information.

When I attempt to rip such a CD, it offers to use the embeddded text for filenames, in any combination I like, but it is not editable, and there does not seem to be any other lookup available. This appears to be the same in MM4 and MM5.

So, with a compatible drive, it should be possible to embed the text in the same way.

I
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Rob_S wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:54 pm Much confusion here indeed!!!
I think OP actually WAS talking about writing text to a CD he was burning.
Thanks for pulling me up here Ian.
That's the 2nd time I have got the terms burning & ripping confused here.
I think that I have been using those two terms interchangeably since forever, so it may happen again

Rob_S wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:54 pm I tried some commercial CD's and if I open them in MM I can see Artist, Album and Title tags, with my internet connection turned off. So the text is in there someplace. I believe non-connected CD players can display that information.
Maybe I am not !00% correct here either.
I replicated your test on a non Internet computer.
I had three CDs that I thought that the computer had never seen before.
For two of those CDs MediaMonkey played the track as "unknown track", which was I was expecting, from what I had seen in the earlier test
One one of them showed Artist, Album, Title, etc OK?

I am not sure what is going on here.
  • maybe that computer had seen that outlier CD before
  • or I think that some CD labels, do have an invisible lead-in track that holds metadata, and I think that I read somewhere that MM can read this invisible track
  • if I look at CD using File Explorer, when Internet is connected, I can see tags ... but if I copy one of those track to my PC, I can't see any tags .....I have MM and also dbPoweramp .. both get informed when by the PC when a CD is mounted into the drive .. both have always-alert facilities to calculate, in the background, the unique CD key, and lookup it up in community databases, thereby behind the scenes filling in the gaps ... so it makes it difficult to see what is really on the CD, and distinguish that from what has been added from the Internet
This also makes it very difficult to test MM5 fingerprinting capabilities. I believed what it says on the tin "Auto-Tagging with audio-fingerprint-based lookup"

It seemed to work in my "test" ... but maybe that was just data that was obtained from an invisible track hidden on the CD? ... It did surprise me how quick it was. So I withdraw my comment that MM5 fingerprinting is working. I don't know how to test it reliably.

What I do know is that I would not use MM5 CD ripping capability:
  • no tag preview facility ... no capability to edit tags before ripping
  • is inside a black box, and generates no rip log ... user has no idea whether the rip was OK, or completed normally
  • I tested two CDs. One CD completed OK., and other ripped two tracks with tags, and the remainder of the album as "unknown", and put them in a separate folder .. no warning given by MM5!
  • I have a couple of CD reader/writers ... there is no apparent way to point MM5 to the desired drive .. I loaded a CD into my normal drive, but MM5 was fixated on another drive ... the MM5 documentation shows CD drive selection panel that does not appear to exist
  • appears to be very slow ... but I hated the whole thing so much, so by then I was probably biased
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Barry, a numbers of things you might want to try when Ripping Audio CDs.

1). Turn off the options for when you insert a CD, I find it best to have "Take No Action" in Control Panel / Hardware / Audio Play
2). Open the "Folders" node to show the CD Drive and wait until it shows e.g. H:\[Various Artists - Capital Gold Legends]
3). After the CD Drive shows it has loaded the CD, Rip the CD to a separate location e.g. D:\Downloads\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Title>
4). In the dialogue box, you should get confirmation of the Artist / Album / Title and you can edit the standard <Album Artist> with your chosen text if you prefer at this point.
5). Use a Collection / View of the D:\Downloads folder and show the relevant columns. I typically use: Type \ Artist \ Album Artyist \ Album \ Disc \ Track \ Title \ Date \ Genre \ Rating \ Length \ Path \ Filename \ BPM \ Album Volume \ Track Volume \ Comment \ Extended Tags \ Timestamp!
6). Once the ripping if complete (as shown on the status bar at the bottom of the screen) Press F5 to update. One of the quirks with MMW5 is that this display often misses the last track until you press the F5!
7). If the Audio is multi-CD then repeat until ALL the tracks are in D:\Downloads.
Now the fun begins!!!
8. Select ALL tracks and try Auto-Tag. If you are lucky you will get a near perfect match. If you are unlucky, Auto-Tag will offer limited (or no value) - in this case cancel and discard the Auto-Tag offerings.
9). Whilst ALL tracks for the Audio CD(s) are selected, do any manual edits like Genre, Disc #
10). Now is a good time to Analyse Volume and hopefully MMW5 will populate both Track and Album volumes.
11). Drag and drop Files to Foobar 2000, right click and get BPM for each track. Use the update files.
12). It is likely that MMW5 does not show the BPMs - either Add/Rescan the Download folder (slow computer) or all folders (fast computer).
13). Use Auto-Organise to send the files to your correct library location e.g. D:\Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Title>
14). Check the location using another window e.g. Music \ Artists node. Select All and check / add the artwork using the Edit Properties for multiple files then Artwork \ Lookup \ Browse first. If "folder.jpg" is not in the location then choose a selected offering. Make sure that it is Cover(Front) and Save to both Tag and Folder. I find ~600x600 pixels is good for most of my devices!
15). Create an Album Playlist with the track sorted by Disc # and then Track # and do a final check that ALL the information is present and consistent and every track shows the Artwork.
16). Now you might want to send ALL the Playlist to Play Now and enjoy.
17). When you have completed a batch of CDs use Files to Edit and / or any Collections or Views to show issues.

Let me know how this goes and what tweaks for your setup.

Hope there are some useful tips within the above. Sorry it is a bit detailed!

P.S. I went up into the loft to get the Christmas decorations down and found a whole box of CDs that the kids "ripped" into MP3s last Century!! So I am repeating the rip into FLAC as I now have devices / headphones that support better quality / bit-rates etc. I have set myself a target of 10 CD cases a day!
Ian Taylor