MM4 and 5 compatibility

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

chrisjj

MM4 and 5 compatibility

Post by chrisjj »

Where can I read information on what functions of my MM4 setup would get broken by a switch to MM5?

Chris (MM3-to-4 sufferer).
Chris
Rob_S

Re: MM4 and 5 compatibility

Post by Rob_S »

I would say that because every user has different libraries, different addins, different use patterns, and totally different ideas of what little nuance is critical to them, it would be impossible to devise a sensible list.

Some don't like the available screen layouts. Many were complaining about lack of CD writer, that has now been provided. Most differences can be adapted to fairly easily. I find the chromecast very useful, some may not care. Autotag is built-in and getting better. Many MM4 addons don't exist for MM5. I could ramble on....

So, you really need to try it to find out if your particular needs are met. The good thing is, you can simply install it alongside MM4, and both will work just fine. MM5 should import but not otherwise affect your data from MM4 at time of install. If you add new tags in MM5, MM4 will see them upon rescan.

So, if you want to alternate for a while, or go back entirely, it is fairly easy to do. Except, If you create new or modify auto playlists those might not transfer. New or Modified regular playlists would have to be exported and re-imported.
Using 5.1 LATEST alpha or beta build on Windows 10, HP laptop, managing 13k tracks
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Rob_S wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:27 pm I would say that because every user has different libraries, different addins, different use patterns, and totally different ideas of what little nuance is critical to them, it would be impossible to devise a sensible list.
Sounds like that would make it possible to devise many sensible lists! :)
Rob_S wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:27 pmMost differences can be adapted to fairly easily.
Thanks, but BT, DT and found ... YMMV hugely.
Rob_S wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:27 pmMany MM4 addons don't exist for MM5.
Please don't tell me MM5 broke addon compatibility.
Rob_S wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:27 pmSo, you really need to try it to find out if your particular needs are met.
Hence the question.

Thanks.
Chris
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

chrisjj wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:55 pm Where can I read information on what functions of my MM4 setup would get broken by a switch to MM5?
Chris (MM3-to-4 sufferer).
See here Roll to the bottom. See "What's Different" and "What's Missing" sections.
I don't know if that is a complete list. It is just from their POV, but the list of losses did get extended as feedback came in after the original release.
MM3-to-4 sufferer
:D I think that I started with MM after whatever that extinction event did to you.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Thanks.

"slick, modern look and feel"

Oh FFS.

Is there a workaround - to get a plain, trad, productive theme?

> MediaMonkey 5 is Windows 10+ only.

Please ignore all of the above.

Thanks and goodbye! :)
Chris
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

chrisjj wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:01 pm "slick, modern look and feel.
Oh FFS.
:lol:
chrisjj wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:01 pm s there a workaround - to get a plain, trad, productive theme?
There are other skins, which tone down the "modern"

chrisjj wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:01 pm > MediaMonkey 5 is Windows 10+ only.
I believe that MM5 running under some Linux variation OK.
One of the design aims of MM5 was to make it cross platform. There was been some messaging that they are working on an Apple OS variant, but based upon the gestation time of MM5, I would not hold my breath while waiting.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

As I understand a MMW5 Gold license includes MMW4 you can run both.

My experience is to run both and revert to MMW4 if I need to. I do this on Window 10 and Windows 11.

I do this by keeping separate libraries and synchronising the two libraries. There are some minor issues but I have to say that recent versions of MMW5 (since improvements in Auto-Tag, CD Burning, Lyrics) mean I use MMW4 less and less.

The remaining "quirks" with MMW5 are being sorted with each release. It is getting better with each version released - roughly every couple of weeks.

I would invest your time in MMW5 and get the skin you like most or matches MMW4 best.
Ian Taylor
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

IanRTaylorUK wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:55 am I would invest your time in MMW5
Thanks, but not an option, since it cuts out Windows 7.
IanRTaylorUK wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:55 amand get the skin you like most or matches MMW4 best.
I note it has also dropped respect for Windows theme.
Chris